Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
    So who is allowed to submit ideas for new modeling challenges? I need a ship and was wondering if I could ask if you guys could try and design a few ideas.
    You could do the Fifth Challenge if you would like to. It's going to be awhile though.
    sigpic
    ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Just looked at this thread and got to say you guys are doing amazing stuff I am really amazed at your guys level,

So good job
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
        I was thinking about a winter environment for the Fourth Challenge. I'm not sure about the look but we'll see.

Nice. It seems that terragen will be our friend on this one.. Luckily I have a plugin for getting TG environment to max.

Originally posted by RJB View Post
        Since I'm running low on time I'm just going to give her a basic texture job and maybe do more after the contest.

I should have everything ready sometime tomorrow or the next day.

Enjoy.
        Mmmmmmmm... ray-traced shadows... *drolling*

Btw, I don't think that the captain will see much space from his seat, since there's a colossal beam right in front of the window. Placement is the key to functionality.

Comment

they are ancients. a HUD will do all the stuff, not to mention the holographic screens around him [in a Tower fashion].

ancients dont need supergood vision.

Comment

Since I'm running low on time I'm just going to give her a basic texture job and maybe do more after the contest.

Enjoy.
            errrr....HOT!!!!

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            So who is allowed to submit ideas for new modeling challenges? I need a ship and was wondering if I could ask if you guys could try and design a few ideas.
            I think we should all generate ideas and they should be decided upon by us all the IOA of the gateworld modeling thread. lol

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
            Btw, I don't think that the captain will see much space from his seat, since there's a colossal beam right in front of the window. Placement is the key to functionality.
            I thought they were shadows inside the room?
            Last edited by Merlin1701; 11 January 2009, 02:10 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
              errrr....HOT!!!!
              I think we should all generate ideas and they should be decided upon by us all the IOA of the gateworld modeling thread. lol
              Unfortuantly, I think it would grow a bit stale if we did that, all the challenges would end up with some sought of ship, space station, fighter , I think having a single person issue a challenge and in charge of the challenge and can do anything he/she wants is the best way to run this thread. That person should change every challenge or every couple of challenges.

I am glad a person as already started on my challenge. The icy world looks good, the rock texture needs a bit of work. And terragen is a wicked program.
              Last edited by knowles2; 11 January 2009, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I understand what you mean knowles, please don’t feel that I was getting at you. It was merely a suggestion.
                Last edited by Merlin1701; 11 January 2009, 06:22 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  Unfortuantly, I think it would grow a bit stale if we did that, all the challenges would end up with some sought of ship, space station, fighter , I think having a single person issue a challenge and in charge of the challenge and can do anything he wants is the best way to run this thread.

I am glad a person seem as already started on my challenge. The icy world looks good, the rock texture needs a bit of work. And terragen is a wicked program.
                  But the person in charge should change every two chalenges so it dosn't get stale and so they can actualy join in

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by eps200 View Post
                    But the person in charge should change every two chalenges so it dosn't get stale and so they can actualy join in

I added that to my post after rereading it with out reloading the page and seeing the added post.

And yeah I added he or she.

Comment

lol atleast everyone agrees

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

edited my post as it in longer relevent. lol

sigpic

Comment

Enjoy.
                          Amazing ship, that came together really nicely. Looks like it could put a hurting on anyone haha.

Comment

hey all, long time no see I guess. Well I just wanted to drop by and say how amazing all of these models really are, I've been lurking around in this thread for the last couple of days and this thead have really brought out the best!
                            sigpic

Comment

A simple drone.

And a scene to go with it.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle
                              Feel free to visit my Art Work.

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                                Essentially this is a vacuum flask with a an added twist.
                                Okey here is cross section description of the case. The first and most outer wall is going to be one sealing the outside atmosphere from the inside vacuum. This is going to be one sealed vessel with nothing inside it. The second wall it going to a divider between the vacuum space and the sealed case that has the liquid nitrogen. Both are going to be sealed environments only sharing one wall separating the vacuum from the LN. There will be no LN touching any electronics. The purpose of the LN case is to cool the computer w/o having any fans, water, Heat Sinks, electricity to run a compressor or anything of the sort. The actual temperature of the motherboard will probably be around 150 Kelvin.
                                With the LN being under pressure and the vacuum of the insulating case there should be no problem with the environments.

My Computer in on 24 hours a do and I run a VNC off of it. I vary form using it to host a website page to rendering objects in Lightwave to typing text to Games, etc. . . . I use it from my laptop on many occasions to do miscellaneous things for engineering.
                                Well you obviously know what you're talking about, make sure to post pictures and such after you're done, that'd be cool to see.

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
                                It just keeps looking better and better.. Btw, where's the bridge?

I did my engine thrust effects with a separate, nearly transparent, geometric object, which then had a glow added to it. Experimenting with different settings gives best results.
                                Well the bridge is inside, I'll do a deck plan later on. I didn't add a window. I tried a few schemes and they never worked out. I suppose I can try one last time just because it looks cool to have a bridge, but I mean it's a spaceship, certainly they could fly it without a window lol.

I think that by not having windows, it looks more heavily armoured or something.

And yeah I tried that approach for the engine effects and failed haha, I will have to try again.

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                                There is a few spots that the textures are stretching.

I don't know which program your using, but if there is an option to change the texture to planar mapping, and set it to the axis its on (X-Y-Z).

Also you need a specular map so the light will reflect less off the hull.

Its looking real good so far.
                                What map and image do I use for the specular map, the same as the hull? And alright, I'm trying it with planar mapping as we speak.

Comment

Working...
                                X