No announcement yet.

Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thekillman your vessel looks aggressive!

sigpic

Comment

its becoming even more badass: i replaced the big railguns with 8-barrel machine railguns. currently .45m caliber. how much mm is that? 100mm= 10 cm. so its 450mm right? I think it needs rescaling

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        its becoming even more badass: i replaced the big railguns with 8-barrel machine railguns. currently .45m caliber. how much mm is that? 100mm= 10 cm. so its 450mm right? I think it needs rescaling
        I'd use light speed weapons if I were you. Like lasers or particle ebams with limited off bore capability.

Comment

Comment

The recoil would be beastly!

Comment

Is the bomber competition still open? If so, I'm going to be working on a piece...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike272 View Post
                Is the bomber competition still open? If so, I'm going to be working on a piece...
                Yeah it opened until the 15th of January.

Looking like it might have the most entries yet and so the toughest to win.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  Yeah it opened until the 15th of January.

Looking like it might have the most entries yet and so the toughest to win.
                  OK, great. Thanks.

Comment

its just 30m long.. each missile is 11m, and capable of nuking a LARGE region
                    thats a 36 foot rocket

I don't think I've ever seen a 36 foot rocket before?
                    Visit my Website

Comment

Spoiler:

I don't like how the wings look from the top view, I'll be fixing that later but it's much too late to bother right now and I need to sleep.

But yeah, it'll be about 250m long (I think I'm going to be stretching the middle out a bit to make a bit more room for the superstructure, which will make it about that length). Right now I'd say it's more like 200m.

It'll have 12.5" naval guns coupled with the railguns that we see on the Daedalus. The idea is that the railguns can be used for point defense against fighters or secondary targets that are farther out, can engage moving targets or hard to reach emplacements, or can contribute to the destruction that the 12.5" guns would certainly inflict.

It'll be protected by a decent shield, similar to that of the Prometheus. Nothing all powerful like the Odyssey or a toilet ship, but enough to withstand heavy fighting for the time needed to engage its targets and leave the scene. Given that this would be smaller but still close in size to the Prometheus, I don't think that that's asking for too much, especially since Alkesh have shields that can withstand brief but sustained fire from Ha'taks.

This would orbit its target from a few kilometres out, at as high of an angle as possible. It would be downright devastating to any unshielded targets save for something enormous like a Hive. And even still, it would be able to get in close for a brief amount of time and I'm sure it could inflict some damage. Being swarmed by a squadron of these would be no fun.

Shielded targets, unless they were weak, would have to be left for larger ships with the Asgard pwner beams. It's not very realistic for even a group of bombers to overcome a formidable ship's shields without help from larger, more powerful ships.

It'll have a bay in the bottom for deploying bombs or weapon systems like the Horizon, although this would be for widespread destruction only.

There will also be several missile bays for deploying air to air (or ship to ship, whatever) missiles and air-to-surface missiles.

Comment

*Gulp* not bad Finger 13....

Just a quick shot of the ship-ship missile set up i've mocked up before i vanish for 24 hours

Spoiler:

Each missile bank will rotate flat to the hull when not ativated and cannot be reloaded from the inside of the ship, only at a base or by a supply ship (Not that i've atualt built a supply ship yet mind you )

(By the way.... anyone else not being able to use the quick code buttons?)

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

AWESOME. both finger and lee.

yea the missile needs tweaking. whats a regular size for a nuke?

and for the railguns [in metres?]

nukes will be Naquahdah detonator H-2/H-3 fusion nuke, with other words: Clean nukes. [ or as clean as a nuke can be. not much radiation and such. 80% of the radiation of a H-bomb is caused by the fissile component]

the Naquahdah detonates, creating a "clean" explosion, which detonates the Fusion core.

Comment

AWESOME. both finger and lee.

yea the missile needs tweaking. whats a regular size for a nuke?

and for the railguns [in metres?]

nukes will be Naquahdah detonator H-2/H-3 fusion nuke, with other words: Clean nukes. [ or as clean as a nuke can be. not much radiation and such. 80% of the radiation of a H-bomb is caused by the fissile component]

the Naquahdah detonates, creating a "clean" explosion, which detonates the Fusion core.
                            Put it this way, even huge ICBM's which, to my knowledge, are the largest missile weapons out there, are generally 60 to 70'ish feet. At least the American ones. There are a few like the Atlas that are 30m long, but they are old and look like your typical NASA rockets from long ago.

So really, your missiles wouldn't need to be more than 15 to 30 feet I'd say.

Missiles fired from fighter jets like the AIM-9 Sidewinder are only 10 feet long. The AIM-54 Phoenix is 13 feet long.

Submarine launched anti-ship missiles like the Harpoon are 14 feet long and pack quite a punch.

These have a large range too, Phoenix's can travel 184km's, and the Harpoons can travel 100-315km's.

If you're loading these things with Naquadah or something they wouldn't have to be so massive. ICBMs are that large because they have several stages required to get them off of the surface, into sub-orbit, and back down to wherever it's going.

When you're already in the air, it wouldn't take nearly as much thrust, thus removing the necessity of all of these stages.

Given the speed of spacecraft, you wouldn't really need to launch a missile from one side of the planet while trying to hit the other, you could simply fly to that side, deliver the payload, and be gone again in a matter of seconds.

Remember that Carter said that an AIM-120 Slammer (at least I recall this being the missile discussed) could take out a Ha'tak if it was enhanced with Naquadah. These missiles are only 12 feet long.

Remember that nuclear tipped missiles can be carried on fighters, so they wouldn't be much longer than this.
                            Last edited by Finger13; 04 December 2008, 05:24 AM.

Comment

in metres????

Comment

80% of the radiation of a H-bomb is caused by the fissile component
                                Tsar Bomba was the biggest and most clean H-bomb ever blown. It used 90-95% fusion to create energy.

Finger, I love those guns!

DRlee, not bad at all!

I think I'll participate in this! Hopefully I'll have time at christmas to actually do some 3D.

Comment

Working...
                                X