Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
    That tends to be a big part of making a game... Well, anyways, if anyone is interested and have some ideas, let me know. I can have code for fully functional space simulator ready within a few weeks. That can be later adapted towards an RPG, RTS, or whatever.
    Interesting... *strokes chin*

Comment

love to fly Excalibur around. or the Guardian. or ALX' Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
        Interesting... *strokes chin*
        adds a headscratch and a long hmmmm...

well there is a discussion brewing about the same thing on C.A.S.F
        aslong as there are "programmers/coders" involved and passionate about there work and also has alot of free time on their hands anything is possible, i for one would be very intrested in either a mod of an existing game or something new and i offer my modeling services to that end.

so a raise of hands by people intrested and able to contribute is in order IMO
        once we have the people we can discuss what it would be who would do what etc.. and ED's idea sound like a good start to me...

So RAISE OF HANDS people!

love to fly Excalibur around. or the Guardian. or ALX' Atlantis
        so would i m8!

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
          adds a headscratch and a long hmmmm...

well there is a discussion brewing about the same thing on C.A.S.F
          aslong as there are "programmers/coders" involved and passionate about there work and also has alot of free time on their hands anything is possible, i for one would be very intrested in either a mod of an existing game or something new and i offer my modeling services to that end.

so a raise of hands by people intrested and able to contribute is in order IMO
          once we have the people we can discuss what it would be who would do what etc.. and ED's idea sound like a good start to me...

So RAISE OF HANDS people!

so would i m8!
          Could I convince you to give us a look we need a modeller we are a space sim/ FPS mod for the source engine (transition is flawless like better than battlefront 2) and in desperate need of a modeller / people with artistic talent we have a pair of awesome coders Three eger mappers all desperate for more recorces to work with if that means stargatish type stuff thats fine any tauri ships can fit in easy enugh. </begging>

yeah we are that desperate

as for RTS lok at stagate empire at war thsoe guys are making an RTS based on starwars empire at war

If you want to help a pure staragte flight sim there is Stargate SG1 earths defence based on the Freespace 2 SCP this one is standalone aswell so no game required.

</atempt at neutrality>

im suprised the modlers here havent been pestered by mod teams more your an untaped talent pool i mena i can do level desighn and mapping but my modeling is poor look at my atempts early in this thread same with coders you guys (modlers) are hard to find.

But we eternal silence and if im fair and honest earths defence ae the most desperate as both of us lack any kind of moddler.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Very nice work!

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't. - Unknown

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code
            - Unknown

Comment

Added a few more buildings and extended the landscape a little. Still need to connect the buildings, add some kind of foundations so they're not just stuck in the ground. And make the landscape look less plasticy, trees, rocks and other ground detaily things..

And it won't look so empty when I'm finished..

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                Could I convince you to give us a look we need a modeller we are a space sim/ FPS mod for the source engine (transition is flawless like better than battlefront 2) and in desperate need of a modeller / people with artistic talent we have a pair of awesome coders Three eger mappers all desperate for more recorces to work with if that means stargatish type stuff thats fine any tauri ships can fit in easy enugh. </begging>

yeah we are that desperate

as for RTS lok at stagate empire at war thsoe guys are making an RTS based on starwars empire at war

If you want to help a pure staragte flight sim there is Stargate SG1 earths defence based on the Freespace 2 SCP this one is standalone aswell so no game required.

</atempt at neutrality>

im suprised the modlers here havent been pestered by mod teams more your an untaped talent pool i mena i can do level desighn and mapping but my modeling is poor look at my atempts early in this thread same with coders you guys (modlers) are hard to find.

But we eternal silence and if im fair and honest earths defence ae the most desperate as both of us lack any kind of moddler.
                PM sent your way

Originally posted by Xprojectd24 View Post
                Very nice work!
                hey thanks glad ya enjoyed it

Comment

i think a jaffa ship could be cool might be worth stocking up good chalenge ideas if one isnt used save it for later

PM sent your way

hey thanks glad ya enjoyed it
                  Got the PM I've replied

any other guys up for having their ships in game in a space battle in a short abount of time contact us

Comment

Ed, you need anyone to take a look at your flight physics? I watched the trailer, and the work you guys have done is impressive, but that's one thing that seems to be really lacking.

P.S. Yes, I've done Source modding and yes, I am an actual physicist.
                    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Ed, you need anyone to take a look at your flight physics? I watched the trailer, and the work you guys have done is impressive, but that's one thing that seems to be really lacking.

P.S. Yes, I've done Source modding and yes, I am an actual physicist.
                      Our coders actually tried it more Newtonian but its worse from a game play perspective so they went for what most space sims have 'custard space' where you still have resistance so you cant accelerate forever.

Real physics is cool with about 4 guys dog fighting but once you get to two capships 6 corvettes and 20+ tactical ships plus what ever els the mapper thew in it just gets stuppid and not fun also its scares newbies away.

also inertia is a bit wrong because the ships fly at 1/40 scale to simulate large battlefeilds source isnt built for areas 12KM wide so the way its done is to have an area 300 meters wide and have all the ships be 1/40 scale which means when you enter or exit a hangar you get scalled that bit is really impresive because no one has yet figured that out without eithe being told or nocliping out and look at how the map i built

Any ideas you think would be most welcome ill pass them on to the coders but not full newtonian flight was tried.

Comment

I've tried it last night, and yeah, I have plenty of ideas. First of all, I understand the need for newbie controls, but for a game that's designed around the concept of "our players are not idiots," this is rather bad. Hold mouse3 to roll alone was killing me. At very least it needs to be a toggle. Then there is something to be said about inverting Y-axis while in flight, again, at least as a toggle.

There are a number of modifications that can be made to make this a LOT more like flying a real space ship while keeping the scale. And it doesn't need to scare away the newbies. All it takes is a right control scheme.

I took a look at the web site. It looks like you are trying to re-launch development. If you can take in an extra coder, I can probably get quite a few things to work better. I have experience with optimal control theory and all sorts of AI techniques, for example, so I could sit down and write excellent bots for the fighters.
                        MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

I've tried it last night, and yeah, I have plenty of ideas. First of all, I understand the need for newbie controls, but for a game that's designed around the concept of "our players are not idiots," this is rather bad. Hold mouse3 to roll alone was killing me. At very least it needs to be a toggle. Then there is something to be said about inverting Y-axis while in flight, again, at least as a toggle.

There are a number of modifications that can be made to make this a LOT more like flying a real space ship while keeping the scale. And it doesn't need to scare away the newbies. All it takes is a right control scheme.

I took a look at the web site. It looks like you are trying to re-launch development. If you can take in an extra coder, I can probably get quite a few things to work better. I have experience with optimal control theory and all sorts of AI techniques, for example, so I could sit down and write excellent bots for the fighters.
                          Jump right in im only a beta tester / map guy i dont know a great deal about coding

ill continue in PM I don't want to derail this thread too much.

Comment

Comment

like it landscape aswell one trick for trees rotate them all at random angles

maybee a starscape behind the city

Comment

still a WIP m8! lots of lil things to do yet
                                also there are stars in the frame

Comment

Working...
                                X