Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
    I absolutely love BSG and no offense to Stargate, but their ships are so much more pleasing to the eye lol. You look at the Pegasus or Galactica and you know an ass-kicking is on its way. That and the fact that BSG actually got their space battles right. I like my Stargate, but can't help but style my ships after BSG haha. I'm trying to incorporate Tau'ri influences though.

My ship is based off of an Original BSG ship called the Tiger, though I plan to deviate heavily from its design. I took the shape of the nose and the wings.

You won't be disappointed by the box set. The finale is the most amazing 2 hours of TV you'll watch lol.

And the Battle of the Resurrection Ship *drools*. Sci-fi perfection.
    Or even the Battle of New Caprica, simply amazing

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
      Or even the Battle of New Caprica, simply amazing
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMMZd89E9qs

That is why Galactica's battles > Stargate's battles lol.
      Last edited by Finger13; 08 May 2009, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Das ist keine gute Link, meisten Personen her, können keinen Deutsch.

But indeed BSG owns. I love the series

www.darkarmada.nl
        www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Better

Comment

yes lol.

grrr I cant seem to get my ship well detailed.

www.darkarmada.nl
            www.runescape.com

Comment

you think you having trouble, try doing a wraith ship.
              My sixth attempt at getting the basic shape and I am still not happy with it. My plan is some to the shell then do the exo skeleton over it.

Comment

I am not even gonna try to make a wraith ship

I just dont like what I got so far. Nor do I like my engines, so I removed them.

www.darkarmada.nl
                www.runescape.com

Comment

well I got " I shall never surrender to the wraith designer" in me at the moment, I will do it, even it means sleepless nights, do it vertex by vertex, polygon by polygon, spline by spline.

Okay so I will probably give up sometime before the challenge ends. and end producing nothing.

Comment

hope not, I truly hope not, I wish to see what you'll get done

www.darkarmada.nl
                    www.runescape.com

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                      I didn't see the hour, my sleeping schedule is so messed. I will be ruined when school starts back up lol.

Oh well I worked on this some more. Added panelling, thrusters to the front for realistic manoeuvring, that's about it. I'm iffy about the current engine configure, I may abandon the current layout and go for a different setup. I'll have to play with a few ideas that I have.

Spoiler:
                      Finger how do you do your paneling? Its something I need to work on.

sigpic

Comment

panelling is hard!

www.darkarmada.nl
                        www.runescape.com

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                          cut, extrude, clean up. cut extrude clean-up. lots and lots of this, highly repetitive. from the picture that how it looks like he done it.

A quicker way I found is to create a cube change size to what ever size you want, place on hull. you can cut or bevel different cubes to your heart desires. Boolean it altogether into a single mesh. An clean up.

If you got lots of the same size an shape panels, then you can just duplicate to speed up panelling. Also if your craft symmetrical you can just do one half of the ship and then mirror it to create the other half.

name of tools will change depending on program.

The basically a non program specific way of doing panels. hope it helps.
                          Last edited by knowles2; 08 May 2009, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            I couldn't find one that wasn't foreign with music haha, good job.

Comment

Got some more done, 2 130mm Rail Guns and 6 30mm Rail Guns, and its still got a lot more to come.

Spoiler:

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                                You can do it Knowles' way, that's how I used to do it. That takes far longer than the way I figured out though. My ships are never square and rarely have many flat surfaces where the panelling goes, so it's too difficult to try shaping cubes to every nook and cranny and getting a uniform look among them.

What I've start doing is modelling the basic shape of the hull, then I select polygons that I want to form the base panel and copy them into a new layer. Then I use Smooth Shift to make them 3D. Then it's just a matter of dividing edges into smaller pieces that can then be divided again into smaller blocks and individually bevelled. It's really fast, which is why I do it that way. And the nice thing about pasting them into a new layer is that if you don't like how they look, it's a simple delete instead of having your entire hull compromised if you decide later that you don't like it. Much more manageable.

I'm not entirely satisfied with how it turns out. It's a lazy way of doing things, but I figure that I'll throw on a few greebles and hopefully it will elaborate enough after adding texturing. I'd much rather model the details onto my ship then use Bump Mapping in the texture.

How RJB does such detailed panelling is beyond me, I hope I can get to that level some time.

Originally posted by locutes View Post
                                panelling is hard!
                                Depends on how you approach it. It does take quite a while to find a way that works for you though.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                                cut, extrude, clean up. cut extrude clean-up. lots and lots of this, highly repetitive. from the picture that how it looks like he done it.
                                Nah I don't use the cut feature. Like I said to Merlin, I just copy individual or grouped polys into a new layer, Smooth Shift them out a ways, then divide them into manageable portions and bevel them.

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
                                Got some more done, 2 130mm Rail Guns and 6 30mm Rail Guns, and its still got a lot more to come.

Spoiler:
                                Looks like it will have a nice armament.

Comment

Working...
                                X