Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could an Ori or Oneill class warship be taken out by drones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
    So it doesn't say it was taken out, but they fought it off, which implies too me at least that it was an effective deterrent for one ship, if enough Drones had made it through the Ori ship's shields then it would have been destroyed IMO.
    True, but why would they retreat if the drones if the drones weren't ''going through'' the shields?
    Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
      True, but why would they retreat if the drones if the drones weren't ''going through'' the shields?
      Even if the drones werent passing right through, a volley of them would still likely effect the shields, something the priors navigating the ori ships probably weren't used to, they panic and retreat. If drones did pass right through why would they attempt and second invasion of earth with more ships? The drones would just pass right through all the ships shields, destroying them. If the impact of drones simply had an effect on the shields then if makes more sense for them to bring more ships, increasing the likelyhood of success.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
        Even if the drones werent passing right through, a volley of them would still likely effect the shields, something the priors navigating the ori ships probably weren't used to, they panic and retreat. If drones did pass right through why would they attempt and second invasion of earth with more ships? The drones would just pass right through all the ships shields, destroying them. If the impact of drones simply had an effect on the shields then if makes more sense for them to bring more ships, increasing the likelyhood of success.
        I agree, its unlikely that the Drones went through the shields. However its my opinion that they do cause major damage, enough to cause the Ori to retreat before they had a chance to take out whatever was shooting at them. Also when they returned they brought 5 ships where as before they thought that 1 would be enough. To me that says that the outpost and its drones were a serious threat to the Ori.
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
          I think Kirmit said it pretty much how I would have:
          I totally agree have some green.
          Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
          I agree, its unlikely that the Drones went through the shields. However its my opinion that they do cause major damage, enough to cause the Ori to retreat before they had a chance to take out whatever was shooting at them. Also when they returned they brought 5 ships where as before they thought that 1 would be enough. To me that says that the outpost and its drones were a serious threat to the Ori.
          Again I totally agree with you as well Buba.
          Prior to weapons like Drones and Asgard beams weapons I got the impression that nothing could get through the Ori's shields (well other than a Supergate's wormhole opening), which I think would have been the Priors thinking since they believed their Gods unbeatable.
          If the Drones had broken through that one ship's shields it would IMO undoubtedly have destroyed that ship, but shield damage would be more than enough reason to send a greater amount of fire power.

And some green for you too.

Comment

Hum, good point but I still think that the drones would severly weaken the Ori ship shields.
            Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

And, neither the Ori nor the Asgard have implied that they know of drone technology, or else they would have used it.
              asgard did not see the point of projectiles. they were too advanced to think of that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                The Ori don't seem like the type to retreat, especially if one well-placed shot from the main Ori weapon could take out the outpost. the only logical explanation would be that they were destroyed. That's not surprising, given the fact that drones were able to destroy an Asuran Aurora. And, neither the Ori nor the Asgard have implied that they know of drone technology, or else they would have used it. With the Asgard matter converters, they could have easily reproduced them and used them against the Ori or replicators.
                That was pulled directly from the episode and it doesn't at all sound like the Ori ship was destroyed not too me at least.
                It could have been more resilient to Drone tech than most ships, if it's shields could prevent the usual passing through shields effect but the explosive nature of the projectiles were able to cause some more localized shield damaging to the Ori's shields like the beams seem to do.

We can only go on what was said in that episode regarding the Ori.
                With an O'Neill we can only assume Drones would work.

Who's to say the Ori's main beam would carry enough heat to melt through the ice covering most of the outpost with one shot?
                The Ori's sensors may not have had the time to pin point the hole SG1 drilled through the ice with the Tel'Tak in The Lost City before it's shields were almost gone from the Drone bombardment.

We can't just assume the Ori's shields would be weak against Drones like Asuran and Goauld shields seem to be.
                The Asurans didn't appear to power their Aurora's shields off of ZPMs, Goauld shields are so weak it only takes one shot of the Ori's beams to take a Ha'Tak out and they equally have no effect against against even a few Drones.
                Ori shields are obviously much stronger than a Ha'Tak's, since Ha'Taks can't penetrate an Ori Cruisers shields even with a lot of shots but they can destroy other Ha'Taks one on one.

Comment

Well the Ori ships are very big, if only a few drones were fired then perhaps they wouldn't have done much damage.
                  Originally posted by Craig Charles
                  "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
                    Well the Ori ships are very big, if only a few drones were fired then perhaps they wouldn't have done much damage.
                    The Asgard beam weapons on the Odyssey seemed to have no problem getting through the hull of the Ori ships when they penetrated their shields, they're probably more powerful shot for shot than Drones but not by masses IMO.

If an Orion sized volley was fired at the Ori ship mentioned in The Road Not Taken it's shields would have to take the majority of the Drone attack to survive as Ori ships are no where near the size of a Hive'.

Comment

yes but what if only three or five managed to get fired before the Ori attacked the outpost. It has a shield and it would explain why the ZPM got depleted.
                      Originally posted by Craig Charles
                      "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
                        yes but what if only three or five managed to get fired before the Ori attacked the outpost. It has a shield and it would explain why the ZPM got depleted.
                        We know that Taonas had a shield, but we don't know for sure if Antarctica does.

We also have no idea just how much power was in the ZPM they were using before the Ori came, it could have been that reality's same one Jack used to activate the outpost in The Lost City which I believe was almost depleted in our reality when we used it to dial Atlantis.

Even a person with a lower level ATA proficiency (I forget the actual term) than Beckett could launch more Drones than five within a second or two of getting in the chair.
                        An Orion type salvo wouldn't take that long to fire and I think it was said in Misbegotten that our outpost had almost enough Drones to finish off the two Hives in No Man's Land but that would be the last of them.

The dialogue that I posted suggests to me it was the Drones being fired that nearly depleted the ZPM.

Comment

Well, it's likely it would have a shield, but i doubt that's what drained the zpm.
                          It takes a substantial amount of energy to fire a mass of drones like we did against anubis. That, coupled with the shield (if there is one, the ori may have missed) would likely drain it.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Probably. I think drones can just go straight through shields, and a few of them could penetrate the hull of any ship.
                            SIGN THE PETITION: http://www.savesgu.tv/petitions/mult...-sgu-petition/
                            LIKE THE FACEBOOK PAGE: http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU
                            READ THE PLAN: http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...aving-Stargate
                            Spread the word! Save the gate!

Comment

Working...
                            X