Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could an Ori or Oneill class warship be taken out by drones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If drones could defeat an Ori ship's shields, either by passing through them or overpowering them, then by definition they could defeat Asgard shields. The Asgard were not nearly as advanced as the Ancients; this has been stated several times in SG-1 by the Asgard themselves, plus, an Asgard battleship failed to even damage an Ori ship in battle. The Asgard were advanced, but they certainly weren't the most advanced race around.

As to BAMSR, I wholeheartedly agree those who think that the Asurans were not firing drones; to me at least, they looked and acted nothing like drones. Typically when you've seen drones fired in the series, they tend to attack their target in giant swarms, and the Asuran weapons didn't seem to be following that trend.

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
      And we know the drones work against the Ori ships, as in "The Road Not Taken" because they said they took out an Ori ship with the antarctic chair but it drained its power.
      Actually, thats wrong. It was said that they managed to fend off a single Ori mothership, not take it out. So from that, we can determine that they can at least survive an initial drone assault but for how long remains a mystery.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Zalenka View Post
        I think you can change the power of a drone and as drones are powered by a zpm then they will have the power to go through any of the shields that we've seen so far.

Atlantis's may be an exception
        Your probably wrong, as in "the return", asurans had atlantis,powered by 3 zpms and the drone didnt even deplete the jumpers shield.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

Ok, let's breakdown what we know.

1........Drones passed through Anubis's advanced Goa'uld shields.
          2........Drones busted through ship interior and came out other side.
          3........Exploding Anubis mothership destroyed remaining drones.
          4........Jumper drones can explode on contact with Darts.
          5........Drones have to power up in order to fly and glow.
          6........Ancients had other weapons than drones(sat weapon)(Mckay quote)
          7........Shields have different frequencies to allow ring transmissions to get through

So, based on #5 we know that drones aren't some magic liquid goo that can pass through shields. So it's something in the drone's function that allows its solid matter to pass through.
          #7 shows us that a shield is not just an energy wall thrown up around a ship, it's more intricate and complicated.
          #1,2 shows us that drones are incredibly resistant to destruction, while #3 indicated they can be destroyed if enough force(or type of force) is applied.
          #4 shows that drones can self destruct on command, this indicated that the person in the control chair has multiple uses for the drones...they are a multi-tasking weapon system, not just a simple guided missile.

My conclusion...drones can pass through inferior shield technology. That's why they got through the Goa'uld shields. Drones can also deplete shield strength on impact(detonation or bounce). It is possible that information can be gathered during a drone attack as to the shield dynamics of the enemy and the drones attack frequency(explain this later if you want) can be altered so as to be able to pass through the shields.

An Ori mothership probably wouldn't be penetrated by drones the first time they fought. The mothership could still be killed by a swarm the size O'Neill used to kill Anubis's fleet. It is possible that the shield frequencies could be devined and then the drones could penetrate the shields and destroy the ship with just a few dozen.

As for the O'Neill-class ship...I'm not sure how it stacks up. The Asgard had access to ancient knowledge and they chose not to build drones. This means their weaponry is way less advanced, or more advanced. Still, I think a drone wouldn't be able to penetrate their advanced shields during the first attack either, but once their shield structure was properly mapped, I still think the shields could be penetrated.

That said, shield structure is probably mutable and could be changed periodically as a defense mechanism against drone attack. (Like how the Borg would adapt to Enterprise's shields and then Enterprise would rotate frequencies to fend them off longer...sorry for the Trek reference)

I'm pretty sure the Asgard ship that attacked the Ori wasn't O'Neill class...it was way too small for that. Personally I'd say three O'Neill class cruisers would be a match for a single Ori mothership, but that's just an educated guess.
          Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

one of the travelers ships manage to block drone fire for a while then it was destroyed

even when sheppard had drones it only took 3 to break the other in half, if that was the case then an oneil class ship which i think would have much superior shields and power to hold on would need more than aleast a hundred drones
            sigpic

Comment

Another thought struck me...maybe the reason the Wraith did so well against the Pegasus ancients(different from original ancients IMO) was because the Wraith don't use shields for defense.
              If the Ancients were so over-confident in their shield penetrating tech, then the Wraith's biological armor would have really thrown them for a loop. Think about it, an enemy that doesn't use shield would usually be target practice, but the biological armor puts a new twist on that and would reduce the effectiveness of the drones.
              Gives a little bit more legitimacy to the Wraith having actually defeated the Ancients.
              Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

ude you are way too smart for this place.
                *jumps into hyperspace in a yellow sheilded hive ship*
                sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Character;8882415]Your probably wrong, as in "the return", asurans had atlantis,powered by 3 zpms and the drone didnt even deplete the jumpers shield.[/QUOTE

Maybe they were only trying to disable it.

In "Travellers" Rodney said he needed time to calculate where to hit the traveller's ships. He didn't want to destroy the ship or for the drones to bounce off the shields.

An angle answer won't work as he's aiming for a specific point on the ship, inside the shields) as opposed to targetting the shields.

Comment

i think work on the basis of function in terms of defense. Gould shields/force fields oscillate which may be how the drone by passes shields, by holding the gap open long enough to slip through. Explanation as why it doesn't damage the simplest ancient ship is that all ancient ships shields operate in such a way there is no oscillation, no gap for a drone to exploit so it bounces off doing damage from kinetic energy. That would explain why Anubis with the most advanced gould shields failed to protect their ship against drones, he didnt find any reason to change his shielding type because it had already surpassed all competition. Also it would explain how a puddle jumper has "more powerful" shields than a hatak. Now no one knows if the asgard shields work that way, so no informed declaration could be made.

BAMSR those blobs were way too big fired and orange to be drones they were fired in 3s and some missed if im not mistaken. Plus in the scene where sheppard attacks the replicator aurora you see how drones would have been a template for that episode, very different to those shots fired by the asuran auroras a few seconds earlier, and in that same scene another asuran aurora actually does fire drones in a swarm into a hive, that alone shows you that two weapons were used, and the energy weapons were vastly predominant
                    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

i think drones penetration power depends on how much energy is put into them so drones fired from a replicator warship with no zpm probably couldn't penetrate asguard shields but fired from atlantis or the earth outpost which are zpm powered could pass through them

Comment

They could take an ori ship out easily because they did in the paralell universethey took 2 out i think and then they ran out of drones lol. The ancients and ori are a good match but ancients had a technological advantage the ori just stole it of them. But an asgard ship is a different matter because we havent seen that happen and probaly they would beable to penertrate there sheilds but it depends who can get the first blow because if it is a asgard warship against aurora class warship then the asgard can take a hell of alot but likewise with the aurora but if the asgard uses the plasma beams then it would be able to take it out like they did to the replicators
                        [URL="http://www.cybernations.net/default.asp?Referrer=MightyMech"]

Comment

drones do not penetrate by magic: neither do ori beams with ha'tak. its just a local penetration by sheer force: the ancient nature of the goauld shields might have something to do with it. anyway: see it like an AP bullet on a piece of metal. an ori shield is strong enough to resist this localized shield failure and thus a drone wont penetrate: just as our deadalus and the asgard ships. the travellers dont have that problem either, so they have good shields aswell. evidenced by the fact that they could hold out quite long against the replis

Comment

Drones take out every thing with ease, they'll no doubt put holes in both the Ori motherships and Oneills.

Killman, the Traveler ships may have survived but so did all but one of the Wraith ships and from what we've seen previously of Aurora's that doesn't make sense at all. The offensive abilities of the Aurora's was seriously impaired I don't think if they were ture Aurora's firing off drone salvo's any of our ships would have survived.
                            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Drones take out every thing with ease, they'll no doubt put holes in both the Ori motherships and Oneills.
                              i disagree. the superhive wasnt toast. and you cant convince me that over 30, perhaps 50 asuran auroras=1 ancient aurora?

drones are powerfull precision weapons. once a shield gets too strong, the principle doesnt work anymore. but then again, the outpost could fire tens of thousands of drones. all at a single spot and the enemy is gone too.

if you dont get what i mean by localized shield failure: Ethon. the ori beam cut through the shield at full strenght: localized shield failure. its how drones and APBW's work. its the only logical explanation. so far that is. drones dont penetrate our shields. if they did, we wouldve been killed at Asuras, as 3 or so would be enough to kill a 304. and their auroras DID fire drones. infact, they have primarily shown to fire them.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                i disagree. the superhive wasnt toast. and you cant convince me that over 30, perhaps 50 asuran auroras=1 ancient aurora?

drones are powerfull precision weapons. once a shield gets too strong, the principle doesnt work anymore. but then again, the outpost could fire tens of thousands of drones. all at a single spot and the enemy is gone too.

if you dont get what i mean by localized shield failure: Ethon. the ori beam cut through the shield at full strenght: localized shield failure. its how drones and APBW's work. its the only logical explanation. so far that is. drones dont penetrate our shields. if they did, we wouldve been killed at Asuras, as 3 or so would be enough to kill a 304. and their auroras DID fire drones. infact, they have primarily shown to fire them.
                                What is there not to get about localized shield failure? Did I say I didn't understand it? Did I even mention it in my post?

They were firing almost exclusively energy pulses and a few drones here and there. Nothing like the salvo's we know they are capable of.

Drones cause large explosions and major damage even in small numbers, they're more than just precision weapons. Obviously the entire Asuran fleet could take on 1 Ancient Aurora but thats not my point. In No Mans Land a broken down 10,000 year old Aurora wasted a Hive in seconds, a Puddle Jumper can cause critical damage to a hive with a half dozen drones...and yet 30+ Asuran Aurora's managed to kill only one Hive.

Its obvious that the Asuran Aurora's are lacking in offensive ability when compared to the Ancient versions.
                                Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Working...
                                X