No announcement yet.

stargate power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, here's my thoughts.... In the ep where they're pulling Teal'c out of the buffer, they only use the top section of the DHD sitting on a table, and there was definitely wiring running from it to the gate. However, in the ep WaterGate, the Russians had the entire DHD, pedestal and all, and there was no wiring.

The following is entirely speculation, but it goes a long way to explaining the operation of DHD's and gates.

In the real-world, the most efficient way to introduce a current into a superconducting ring is through magnetic inductance. My guess is that the pedestal of the DHD houses a naquadah reactor, some magnetic coils and the subspace communication circuitry necessary for the correlative updates (as seen in Avenger 2.0). The gate and DHD are magnetically coupled both for energy supply and communication.

The other possibility is that there is a coil around the buried part of the gate and a buried coil under the DHD.

That example from "Off the Grid" has several elements that don't make sense. Not only is there no wiring under the DHD, but there is also GRASS. How is it that a large stone/metal pedestal that has been sitting in the same place for hundreds, if not thousands of years has live grass under it? The weight of the prop obviously laid the grass flat, but it's very presence is a problem. I've moved enough heavy junk, fallen logs, etc through the years to know that it only takes a few days for something to kill the grass underneath it. Heck, my parents wouldn't let my sister and I use our slip and slide anymore after using it for just half a day killed a long rectangle of grass in the back yard.

Comment

yeah so induction sound like a good idea to me because it requires no direct connection between devises.

It would also lead me to believe that the DHD power supply is AC current because of the electro magnetic way of power transfer.

Comment

the gate takes a DC current to run (Torment of Tantalus)
        supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by supersoldier34 View Post
          the gate takes a DC current to run (Torment of Tantalus)
          Contrary to popular belief, Lightning is not DC. (At least not cloud to ground. Cloud to cloud probably has a bit of an AC component to it as well, but not as much.) Lightning starts out as a DC pulse, there is usually a bit of a charge imbalance caused by the initial pulse or nearby pulses so for a few microseconds current alternates up and down the plasma path caused by the arc resulting in an extremely high-frequency RF surge. This RF is easily seen on televisions and radios as static.

Comment

i didn't know that about lightning.

But I was referring to the beginning of Tantalus where the the 1940s people where trying to power the gate w/ AC power. Kathryne told Ernest to try DC in the experiments and it worked
            Last edited by supersoldier34; 24 July 2008, 01:50 PM.
            supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by supersoldier34 View Post
              But i was referring to the beginning of Tantalus where the the 1940s people where trying to power the gate w/ AC power. Kathryne told Ernest to try DC in the experiments and it worked
              That's interesting, but does make some sense. Magnetic coupling works different with superconductors. If you couple AC current to a superconductor, I'm not sure what might happen. The current flowing through a conductor cannot change directions rapidly, and in a superconductor, you're going to have a lot more current flowing. I would imagine that the frequency at which the current could switch would be fairly slow.

What I would imagine would be a series of DC pulses into the magnet. Each pulse would induce a bit more current into the superconducting ring. Since the DHD sits at a larger distance from the gate it wouldn't present an inductive load. on the gate when the magnet was off.

Comment

i think they had feedback when they used AC power
                supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  Underground wiring...? Just a guess.
                  im late i know but thats what i always thought
                  SUCK IT P90

hes shooting bunnies so cute give him a G36 and he'll be shooting bears

Comment

It can't be underground wiring because when they move gates and DHDs to different locations they don't have wiring attached (I have several examples)

Torment of Tantalus The DHD falls through the floor with no wireing
                    Exodus the transfer a gate w/ the DHD to the Ha'tak ship to dial the black hole
                    Off the Grid The Gates and DHDs are beamed away. In Ba'als cargo bay thier are several stargates and DHDs without wireing
                    Touchstone The DHD is in a semi-trailer and the gate is away on the floor
                    supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

lol. when i found this thread it had 38 posts. ironic since we are talking about stargate power.

Comment

ok the gate runs on dc to charge its capasitors but that doesn't mean that energy transfer from the dhd has to be dc. There could be an current converter that would convert the induced voltage to dc after.

Comment

Working...
                        X