Got to let some things fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by x303 View Post
    i remember in midway when people questioned why zat guns worked on the wraith when in the 1st season they didn't. if this is a figment of my imagination, sorry.

but there are some things u need to let fly especially in the 1st season of SG1 and SGA. coz its the 1st season still working out the kinks.

i.e.

how when they travelled thru the stargate they came out cold. as a result of there reintegration.

what seemed like apophis's glider had a ring transporter.

on goauld motherships when they came out of hyperspace o'neil fell forward due to severe deceleration

just wondered if anyone else knew other little things like that.
    In the episode 38 minutes the wraith did significant damage to the jumper using only hand stunners, clearly they have a higher setting. If the can damage a drive pod they can shoot thru a door... eventually. There is no error in that scene in midway.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
      In the episode 38 minutes the wraith did significant damage to the jumper using only hand stunners, clearly they have a higher setting. If the can damage a drive pod they can shoot thru a door... eventually. There is no error in that scene in midway.
      sorry i dont mean to sound sarcastic or harsh. but what did my quote have to do with what u said? i hafn't questoned a stunners power we were talkin about in the 1st season where they used C4 to blow up a gate.

however cud point on the stunners power. i d ont know how much damage they cud do.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sealurk;8637267]I think it's been sort of retconned - something as old as a Stargate staying functional for thousands, sometimes millions of years means it either has a self-repair function, a protective shield, or it's just damned tough. I think it helps to highlight how naive the SGC were at the beginning, and how much they've developed by the end of the series.[/QUOTE]
        Quoted and bolded for truth. A big part of the continuity is that the dialing computer wasn't perfect at the beginning, hence the frost and stumbling when people used the gate back then. They've since corrected that in a perfectly reasonable way.
        It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
        --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

I think Carter said in some episode that the cold effect was caused by the deintegration and reintergration.

The hyperspace shock of the Ha'tak was caused by less advanced inertial dampeners.

Zat's do work on Wraith, but tasers only hurt the wraith and possibly stun them after a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Opener View Post
            A big part of the continuity is that the dialing computer wasn't perfect at the beginning, hence the frost and stumbling when people used the gate back then. They've since corrected that in a perfectly reasonable way.
            When I look at it, I think the SGC has evolved quite considerably, and whether by accident or design on the part of TPTB, it comes across really well - at the beginning, they totally underestimate how much force is needed to a) destroy a gate and b) actively detonate the naquadah in a gate, rather than just break it up, assuming standard C4 charges will be sufficient. By season 9, it takes a multi-gigaton naquadriah-enhanced thermonuclear blast with the gate at ground zero to detonate the naquadah.

Similarly, when they start out in the film, the gate is improperly set up likely due to unfamiliarity, causing the rattling, quake-like energy release and the 'turbulence' in gate travel that causes a cold, high speed exit at the other end.

Several episodes into SG-1 and the shaking gateroom and freezing, painful exits are gone. Later we learn this isn't TPTB glossing over or retconning the fact, its because the SGC installed frequency dampeners to compensate (even if it isn't actually solving the problem, just neutralising the effect) and upgraded its dialling computer. By Red Sky, it's so out of the ordinary it gets mentioned as a plot point.

Maybe this improper installation of the gate, the same problem that causes Gatequakes, frost and bruises, is what causes long travel times at the beginning, i.e. 'MALP arriving in 3...2...1' in season 1, compared to 'it takes 0.3 seconds to travel between gates' in Ripple Effect.

IMHO this isn't bad writing, it's good development, even if its more by chance than by intent.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

nice one sealurk.

thats a good explanation, that pretty much ties it together. that was my aim really with this thread is that somethings are different and with the show running over 10 years u are going to see something which seem wrong coz u hafn't seen/remembered/condisidering everything that everyone has said in the show. and that some things u just need to let go instead of hating on the show plot and bein stubborn with ur own opinion/view.

this was just to highlight some little things that people may of seen and thought thats wrong when it was or wasn't. its all fun i guess

the ha'tak hyperspace issue did bug me a bit but poor inertial dampeners at the time is a good answer (cheers eternalalteran)

if u think about it i doubt that stargate in season 1 finale on the exploded apophis ship was destroyed it cud be caught in an orbit or just eventually landed in the sun.

made up DHD computer and improper installation answers a few thing but not all so is still valid dont get me wrong....

the fact that we have made up dialing computer can answer for alot of it. but in my mind and opinion coz well it is all theory until we find an actual stargate, is that travel time shouldn't be affected by a made up dhd coz thats all the gate works.

how can a dhd program have an affect on a wormhole coz that doesn't create the wormhole its all the gate as we've seen the gate manually dialled without a dhd and it work fine. as for improper gate installation, we've seen gates on ships, in musuems, in space that all work fine.

the writers and producers have done a good developing this show within all its complexity
              Last edited by x303; 27 July 2008, 07:12 AM.

Comment

heres one: where the ***** does the iris come from, i mean, opening and closing it, where does it slide out from???!?!?!?? drives me insane to think about it
                *Turn in your P-90 for a MP7; the standard issue weapon for any SG Team*

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by =SGA=Jason_Binn View Post
                  heres one: where the ***** does the iris come from, i mean, opening and closing it, where does it slide out from???!?!?!?? drives me insane to think about it
                  This is just speculation / assumption, but I wondered if all Stargates might be built with a space behind the ring of symbols for an Atlantis style shield to be installed (seeing as not all gates would need one, at least not straight away...think of it as an optional extra, Ancient style) and the SGC just took advantage of the gap to slide a low tech (and way cooler) equivalent in place.

But, like I said, it's just speculation on my part.
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

so....what? waht are the mechanic of th iris though??? where does it slide into and how???
                    *Turn in your P-90 for a MP7; the standard issue weapon for any SG Team*

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X