What can beat the Andromeda Ascendant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
    I feel I should add that virtually any warship from around the multiverse with f.t.l sensors and tracking would have a significant advantage over Andromeda.
    The combat value of FTL sensors is drastically reduced when you've got projectile travel speeds like Star Wars, Gate or most other visual sci-fi seems to.

A Wars or Gate style ship with FTL sensors might see the Andromeda first and without lag but good luck actually hitting it with anything. By the time you get close enough to actually engage with the slow blobs of doom the distance, and thus light speed lag, will be so minuscule as to be essentially irrelevant.

I'd expect a lot of the advantage of having instant data at say 4 light seconds, vs data 4 seconds old at 4 light seconds, would also be lost due to human crew reaction times and just the realities of the give order execute order chain. That's to say that a ship with a human or normal sentient crew with FTL sensors is still going to be slower to react at actual combat ranges than Andromeda's AI.

The Andromeda also deploys sensor drones to close in on its targets and feed more up to date targeting data to its incoming missile salvos. It's what enables some of its more extreme ranges against targets in its own universe despite being limited to light speed sensors.

Comment

It also has its gravity well projectors.
      Which if memory serves, don't do anything except prevent hyperspace travel... not exactly pertinent to the current scenario.

Comment

In some cases they are used as defensive weaponry, I.E the Yuuzhan Vong used gravity wells to suck up both lasers and torpedoes. They can also be used as real space weapons to slow down enemy ships or "tear" off your force shields.

Its force shields are incredibly powerful anyway. I.E why it could use itself as a hammer. It also had literally hundreds of turbo laser and ion batteries that could even fire randomly to hit incoming missiles.

Watching Andromeda I seem to see that the Ascendant is really vulnerable if you can hit it. Unless they know exactly what you are firing at them and then in some cases they can adapt, like to that Nietzschean plasma cannon. But they needed a guy on the ground to deliver the specs. And I doubt Andromeda could absorb 10^31 joules or so from the Eclipses main battery.
        sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

The problem isn't destroying the Andromeda. the problem is hitting it.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            The problem isn't destroying the Andromeda. the problem is hitting it.

Exactly
            no means no, and so does pepper spray
            Sig by The Carpenter
            sigpic

Comment

.....used gravity wells to suck up both lasers and torpedoes. They can also be used as real space weapons to slow down enemy ships or "tear" off your force shields.
              Gravity is an f.t.l weapon.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Whoah, wait, what now? **Freaky Physics Alarm**
                sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

gravity can "break" the speed of light, as the speed of light is imposed by energy indenting the fabric of space. Space, as you can put it, is thus outside the limit of c. Gravity is the warping of space, thus technically gravity is outside the speed of light.

the force of gravity however isn't faster than c. (IE, the force exerted by spatial warping differences)

Comment

Yeah^

Comment

Sigh...

*rubs temples tiredly*

Yeah^
                      What he means to say is that gravity propagates at the same speed as any other EM wave. Ergo, not FTL.

Side note, the Andromeda is designed to be that fragile on purpose, in the Andromeda verse you can't defend against RKKS, not really, the best way is to make your ships sufficiently redundant and porous so that shots can go right through without depositing a significant fraction of their total energy.

I'll also re-iterate that the Andromeda far, far outrages the Eclipse, since it can quite comfortably fire from several light minutes out, if not further, and rely on drones to guide its munitions in. If memory serves, ECM isn't exactly a big deal in Star Wars.

So we're back to the question of whether the Andromeda runs out of missiles before the Eclipse runs out of power. Somebody run crunch the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                        Sigh...

*rubs temples tiredly*

What he means to say is that gravity propagates at the same speed as any other EM wave. Ergo, not FTL.
                        You guys are smart enough to know what I meant.

Comment

You guys are smart enough to know what I meant.
                          Actually, I'm not sure what you meant. If you knew it only propagates at c, what did you mean by FTL?
                          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Gravity warps space. Ships exist in space.(Usually) A gravity weapon could possibly reach a vessel before a missile or plasma blast, not by traveling faster then C, but by warping the space itself.

Comment

Gravity warps space. Ships exist in space.(Usually) A gravity weapon could possibly reach a vessel before a missile or plasma blast, not by traveling faster then C, but by warping the space itself.
                              Ah, a metric weapon. Should have just said so.

Comment

Point is, i believe the Eclipse does not have a metric weapon. It just messes with space enough to disrupt their form of FTL.

Comment

Working...
                                X