Original City Ship(AOT spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
    I would reason that the ship simply met with others like it otherwise the Alterans would have had too few of a population to actually survive as a civilisation. Especially considering that their trek through the cosmos took goodness knows how many centuries before finally finding the Milky Way.

If it was only just one ship then they would have either had to resort to massive amount of genetic engineering or cloning to create their empire in the Milky Way or stored energy patterns within the ship which would be dematerialized once they reached their new home as we know that stasis does not stop the aging process but simply slows it down.
    If there were 200 (100 men/100 women) and they each had 2 kids, they have doubled their numbers in one generation. I think it quite possible that their society grew through natural means if not probable.

Personally, in my own history of the Stargate universe, I would say that the ship simply met others of its kind who went together to leave the galaxy. Its a pity we won't learn more now on the Alteran and Ori history as I doubt Atlantis or the new possibly Universe series will talk about it and since they say that AoT will conclude the Ori storyline I doubt a further movie will delve into this. Very sad....
    I think that you are misinterprting what has been said. Concluding the current storyline doesn't mean that it can't or won't be revisited. I think it only means that this story arc with these characters won't be revisited. SG Universe has to do with the 9th chevron so I expect that by figuring out what it's for will delve further into the history of the Ancients.
    The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Has anyone thought that the alterans were only a small minority and not the grand civilisation they became? I'm sure it grew.

Anyway having taken another look at the episode, the scene where the city ship takes off seem to indicate that the ship is pretty big. If you look those buildings don't just look like little huts and we have no real idea about the scale of that mountain or anything. surely the ship itself is much bigger than a 304 like some of you have said. a 304 is only about 200 metres long. Perhaps the finished product will show things to be a little clearer.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        Anyway having taken another look at the episode, the scene where the city ship takes off seem to indicate that the ship is pretty big. If you look those buildings don't just look like little huts and we have no real idea about the scale of that mountain or anything. surely the ship itself is much bigger than a 304 like some of you have said. a 304 is only about 200 metres long. Perhaps the finished product will show things to be a little clearer.
        The 304 is around 500 metres long. The ship shown taking off couldn't of been any bigger than a ha'tak, it still seems too small imo to carry all the ancients and sustain them for the long journey as is supposedly took a really long time to get here. Also just to add I don't think it met up with other ships, everything points to just one ship coming here and remember
        Spoiler:
        They only found the Ark because the mountain was indictated as the place where evil first sprang fourth according to the Ori. I think if there were a series of ships leaving the mountain wouldn't be considered the single point of evil and would've made it much harder for the team
        I'm also with the people who think the ancients weren't the minority but a couple of hundred of them seems far too small imo.

Comment

Thanks Kirmit, that actually gives me an idea. If it did indeed take so long to reach the Milky Way, then it is likely that the ship is a stasis ship. It would be able to carry ALOT more people that way, likely thousands. As this was just the birth of the Alterran empire, I don't know why people are expecting some massive, Atlantis sized city ship.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
            Thanks Kirmit, that actually gives me an idea. If it did indeed take so long to reach the Milky Way, then it is likely that the ship is a stasis ship. It would be able to carry ALOT more people that way, likely thousands. As this was just the birth of the Alterran empire, I don't know why people are expecting some massive, Atlantis sized city ship.
            stasis is bad, my bet goes to cryogenics.

Comment

Darn it, that actually sounds very possible .

Comment

Originally posted by BloomGate View Post
                If there were 200 (100 men/100 women) and they each had 2 kids, they have doubled their numbers in one generation. I think it quite possible that their society grew through natural means if not probable.
                I was going under the impression that you need a certain population number in order to viably sustain a species. Mind you, these were the Ancients so they could possibly have used genetic engineering to correct any problems in the new born children.

I think that you are misinterprting what has been said. Concluding the current storyline doesn't mean that it can't or won't be revisited. I think it only means that this story arc with these characters won't be revisited. SG Universe has to do with the 9th chevron so I expect that by figuring out what it's for will delve further into the history of the Ancients.
                If SG-1 had continued then maybe I would agree with you but I don't see any viable reason for the Ori or early Altera to be explored. There was a leaked concept for Universe which I won't post but if it remains like the early concept then I don't think it will touch the earliest history of the Ancients. Plus, I think its been mentioned that they are seeking to make Universe separate from the rest of the Stargate 'universe' so their storylines might concern something else entirely.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slagging the show, its just there are certain things with the Ori storyline I feel that needed to be explored better. Not blaming TPTB for that as the show was cancelled so they had to make do with a movie. Its just I feel that there i so much that needs to be known about that storyline.

EDIT: On the matter of the Alteran Starship, I hope some concept art pops out somewhere that could show a better picture of the ship.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Was the movie disappointing? I think some parts were.

Spoiler:
                  At the beginning, I wish they would have explained how they even knew to look at Dakara for the Ark. Or even how they KNEW the Ark existed! That annoyed me more than anything.

They also didn't sufficently explain how Daniel knew the gate address for the Ori galaxy. He knew it when Merlin was within him AND a prior, but after Merlin passed on, all that knowledge left him. He even said this!

I also didn't care for the supremity of the Asgard shields. The Oddy took over 10 direct shots sitting still and only dropped to 14%, in Unending the shields dropped more than that with only 2 ships firing on them and they were evading!

As for the city ship, I don't want to down that one. There is no scale to determine what the size was. There were a lot of small white objects on the cliff, but I couldn't make them out. One looked like a jumper, but then one also looked like the front of an Aurora or the Asuran scout ship (one that looked like a super jumper from the back). That mountain could have been 10 times larger than Everest.

If I could make the writers answer one thing in the movie, it was how the Ori survived without followers at the beginning. If it has been over 1 million years since the seperation, then the regular humans in the Ori galaxy should have reached a highly evolved state. Much like the woman SG1 found in ice near the Antarctic outpost.

Comment

Originally posted by mizzoueng View Post
                    If I could make the writers answer one thing in the movie, it was how the Ori survived without followers at the beginning. If it has been over 1 million years since the seperation, then the regular humans in the Ori galaxy should have reached a highly evolved state. Much like the woman SG1 found in ice near the Antarctic outpost.
                    Pardon but what do you mean how the Ori survived without followers? They I think easily survived and might have actually had good intentions as Merlin said in season 10. I think it was after they started portraying themselves as gods did they begin to lose their way. Plus, they might have willingly surpressed the evolutionary state of those Humans within their domain since, after all, technologically they were kept in a primitive state.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

About the Ori surviving, after the ancients left, EVERYONE was humans.

They ascended after the Ancients, and seeded life with their power. They had new intentions, but then they forced the seeded humans to worship them.

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                        Darn it, that actually sounds very possible .
                        We know the Ancients used stasis on long journeys, it has been shows atleast twice. Of course, we can't be sure of that.

The movie isn't complete though. is it JUST special effects, or could a few bits of dialouge and scenes change too? Does anyone know.

Comment

Mouzzeng, or whatever, I gotta say this before I forget
                          Spoiler:
                          At the beginning, they thought that the Ark was on Dakara because it was the first landing site of the Alterans from the Ori galaxy, and plus they had an entire database from Atlantis to use to search for answers.

Daniel didn't need a gate address to open the Super Gate, it's a one way gate, only to the Ori Galaxy and our own, so if you have a power source that can handle opening a 500+ meter wide wormhole, then you're in business.

And I guess that did kinda throw it off, but you didn't see the Asgard ship blow up when it fought the Ori in Avalon, plus, Asgard sheilds are more advanced than even the Ancients.

Phew! Almost forgot
                          All of My Written Works
                          Books I'm Reading:
                          The Andromeda Strain (Michael Crichton)
                          2001: A Space Odyssey (Arthur C. Clarke)

Comment

We know the Ancients used stasis on long journeys, it has been shows atleast twice. Of course, we can't be sure of that.

The movie isn't complete though. is it JUST special effects, or could a few bits of dialouge and scenes change too? Does anyone know.
                            Where has it been stated that they use stasis for long journeys? The tria did because they would take equivelant to decades and the crew of the aurora needed to because otherwise they would all die.
                            Best quotes ever:
                            O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                            Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                            Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                            Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                            Thor:I like the yellow ones
                            O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

It takes 5-600 people for a minimum genetic diversification. I forgot where I learned that tidbit from but it seems right. That's 250 couples, with 2-3 children each you can have a stable population in the event of something going wrong.

The Atlantis expedition is some where close to that level on it's own and it barely fills Atlantis. for such a long journey you could have 500 people awake, raise their kids and as they get old enough settle into stasis pods for say 500 years. If you have 2000 odd people in stasis, and another 500 maintaining things with childern you will have a long lasting but stable population that would last centuries. Bonus points is that your only 2-3 generations removed for a journey lasting several thousand years, so very little gets lost.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                                Where has it been stated that they use stasis for long journeys? The tria did because they would take equivelant to decades and the crew of the aurora needed to because otherwise they would all die.
                                You just answered your own question. All 3 were long journies. We know atleast 2 used stasis. We saw that they were already pretty advanced, even though they basically shared a village on a mountain with the Ori. Stands to reason that they used stasis to get from their original home to the Milky Way, and as such the ship didn't need to be huge. You can fit alot of stasis pods into an area that would usually be used as living space for 'awake' people.

Comment

Working...
                                X