No announcement yet.

We already have BC-305s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Col. Ellis' patches say "DAEDALUS CLASS" in giant letters on his chest.

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
      Kill the starships and lets ascend and get it over with-Modualar designs usually do no work when you get spoonfed tons of new tech every year but they do when you develop the tech yourselves. Hopefully the 305's will not need to be replaced anytime soon!!!!
      Uhh no. When you develop your own tech, ESPECIALLY when you develop your own tech, modular designs don't work. At some point, modularity is cumbersome, and it's better to scrap the design and go for a sleeker ship.

Take Star Trek. The NX-01 Enterprise had hot-swap systems that were "modular". But after a while, the space-frame of the hull no longer made it ideal for advanced warp design, because ship geometry made it inefficient for fast travel.

Also, stripping out the computer core's "data cards" for the new isolinear chips would have required upgrading of every computer panel in the ship, which either means overhauling for months, or just scrapping the entire ship together and building a new one.

Finally, weapons placement. Advancements in weapons resulted in a need to redesign the entire ship. By the 24th century, phaser arrays were strips laid across the hull of the ship at various points. This would not have been possible with the original NX-01, as it used "phaser ports".

So no, modular designs almost never work. You can design a ship that can be upgraded many times, but after a certain point, it can't be upgraded. There's no such thing as a modular ship. Only an upgradable one.

Comment

I've just had another brainwave-what if we are looking at this from the wrong angle-what if the 303/304/305 are supposed to compliment each other. The 303 was Earths prototype cruiser right-testing all of the tech they had at the time so it would be inevitable that it was going to be mothballed by the 304. The 304 was Earths 2nd generation of ship that was designed to protect Earth and act as a Battlecruiser in times of war. Now the 305 comes along, perhaps this ship is not going to replace the 304 but work along side it as some sort of Command ship/Battleship/Carrier hybrid like a Battlestar.

A navy cannot rely on just 1 type of ship for everything as it is bound to lack in one area or another so Ship diversity is essential. With the introduction of the 305 it could suggest the Taur'i are preparing to build a proper fleet with the 305 leading it and the 304s making up the bulk of it.
        Last edited by jnadreth; 16 January 2008, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
          I've just had another brainwave-what if we are looking at this from the wrong angle-what if the 303/304/305 are supposed to compliment each other. The 303 was Earths prototype cruiser right-testing all of the tech they had at the time so it would be inevitable that it was going to be mothballed by the 304. The 304 was Earths 2nd generation of ship that was designed to protect Earth and act as a Battlecruiser in times of war. Now the 305 comes along, perhaps this ship is not going to replace the 304 but work along side it as some sort of Command ship/Battleship/Carrier hybrid like a Battlestar.

A navy cannot rely on just 1 type of ship for everything as it is bound to lack in one area or another so Ship diversity is essential. With the introduction of the 305 it could suggest the Taur'i are preparing to build a proper fleet with the 305 leading it and the 304s making up the bulk of it.
          Now THAT I would like to see. Get some diferent designs in there, mix it up a bit!
          It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
          --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

The problem is that the ships that are currently being used already serve all the purposes of potential different classes. Besides, it's hard to build a variety of ship classes in secret when we can barely get our BC/DSCs out one-a-year.

Personally, I'd like them to develop transformable fighters. Love me some Macross.

Comment

Well now might be as good a time as any to reveal all to the people considering that there is only the Wraith who remotely pose a threat-and lets face it they have seen ours ships in action, they'll think twice before making a move-then they will get hungry and we'll have roasted bugs over a fire-a plasma beam fire

Comment

Originally posted by Tupopoflungo View Post
                Thank you...thought so...any chance of a cap?
                Emerson's patch
                Spoiler:

Screen behind Emerson's head
                Spoiler:
                sigpic

Comment

Interesting.... PB3865. Patrol Boat? Most carriers are CV, not PB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_classification_symbol

PB's are usually small ships used to patrol coastal areas. In this case, the Odyssey really should be confined to the sol system.....

Comment

The 305 will have to be of completely different design and plan. Notice how the 303 and 304 differed in appearance greatly the 305 will be a completely new class.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ehecatl View Post
                      The 305 will have to be of completely different design and plan. Notice how the 303 and 304 differed in appearance greatly the 305 will be a completely new class.

sigpic
                      Don't forget to vote up if you like my ideas. (me <-- attention whore )

Comment

thats ugly.

i think it will take some time before the 305 comes. i mean, we just got an asgard databse. anything we put on the 305 now will be outdated in a year. instead we should study some things, upgrade the tech on the deady class, add some things, modify some, and then the 305, wich i hope will be the thor class, will be human made-asgard based.

Comment

Working...
                        X