Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
    well you obviously read and passed over the

LORNE: We're having a little difficulty transferring power from shields to weapons.

CALDWELL: There's a hive bearing down on your position.

LORNE: Yes, sir, I see that. Stand by. (He stands up and goes down to Radek.) Doc, you're killing us here.

ZELENKA (rapidly): OK. I have it. I have it. I have it.

LORNE: Firing drones!

and

SPACE. The hive ship is firing an onslaught of weapons at Orion. Daedalus, also taking fire from the hive, flies towards Orion. On the Orion Bridge, Radek is working frantically at his console as explosions go off all around.

LORNE: One more shot, Zelenka, that's all I'm asking!

ZELENKA: I just cannot give you what I don't have! (He runs to another console and looks at it.) There's too much damage! We need to abandon ship!

(He tries to run from the Bridge but Lorne hauls him back.)

LORNE: Hey! Doc! Listen to me!

ZELENKA (pulling himself free): We sacrificed our shield capability for our first salvo! This ship is going to blow any moment, Major!
    Thank you. I am not just making stuff up here...
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

You can transfer power from weapons to shields and vice versa, but that does'nt change the fact that the Aurora lost out, its shields were drained.
      We also saw the same in BAMSR when the Apollo's captain gave order to transfer power from the beam weapon's to the shields.

Comment

initially yes, at a sustainable rate too, and it was drained into a weapon which does not mean the shields failed or depleted.
        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
          You can transfer power from weapons to shields and vice versa, but that does'nt change the fact that the Aurora lost out, its shields were drained.
          We also saw the same in BAMSR when the Apollo's captain gave order to transfer power from the beam weapon's to the shields.
          So far every example of Ancient shielding we've seen (Atlantis, jumpers) use a non-buffer system, meaning that when the power is gone, they wink out. Asgard shielding, however, uses a buffer, so transferring power from one system to the shields will augment a nearly-depleted buffer.

In the case of the Orion, however, all remaining power was transferred out of the shields and into the weapons systems, leaving the ship defenseless.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

you are right: all power available was transferred to the drones. it was a sitting duck with no other capabilitys. my guess is he used secondary circuits, wich burned out after the salvo. about lifeline: cant they be dumb drones? so not controlled via chairs? in "no mans land" they did. the drones basically went on auto. also the lifeline ship did not have a reason to change the drone's course. their sensors most likely indicated the jump. so no point in trying to still hit them. i think our shields, aswell as asgard shields are drone proof so to say. its safe to assume they found some drones. so they most likely made a counter. or rodney's shield upgrades contained drone immunity. not strange, as at that time they were at war with the replis, and as they use ancient tech, its like 1+1=2.

Comment

"i think our shields, aswell as asgard shields are drone proof"

Well, you're right about that part, anyway, this thread is about Asgard Beam Weapon's not some second-rate Ancient Warship's shortcomming's and her fan's feeble attempt to explain away the obvious weakness by saying "Ancients were the most advanced race to have ever existed...bla blah, thus their warship must be more powerfull than all..". Note, the key word here being "were".

Anyway, back on topic.
              We do know color is an indication of how powerfull shields are on a vessel and so are the color coding of the weapon', Goauld are yellow-orange while the Wraith and earlier Asgard weapons are blue, indicating that the wraith and Asgard possess superior weaponry compared to that of the Goauld, but does this hold true for the Ori and Latest Asgard Beam weapon.

Comment

"i think our shields, aswell as asgard shields are drone proof"

Well, you're right about that part, anyway, this thread is about Asgard Beam Weapon's not some second-rate Ancient Warship's shortcomming's and her fan's feeble attempt to explain away the obvious weakness by saying "Ancients were the most advanced race to have ever existed...bla blah, thus their warship must be more powerfull than all..". Note, the key word here being "were".

Anyway, back on topic.
                We do know color is an indication of how powerfull shields are on a vessel and so are the color coding of the weapon', Goauld are yellow-orange while the Wraith and earlier Asgard weapons are blue, indicating that the wraith and Asgard possess superior weaponry compared to that of the Goauld, but does this hold true for the Ori and Latest Asgard Beam weapon.

For the last time, NO! It has never, I repeat never been said that shield or weapons' strength can be gleaned by their color. That is entirely, 100% fanwank, nothing more. So please kindly stop using that to justify your arguments because it is not true. The Asgard used yellow shields on their Beliskner-class ships, and they were certainly better than Apophis' yellow-shielded ha'tak.

Furthermore, we also have no proof that Asgard shields are drone-proof! The weapons, once again, seen in "Lifeline" were far too large to be drones! For pete's sake we already went over that! Drones are about 1/4 the size of a human, not the size of three or so jumpers roped together!

And TPTB already said that the Asuran Auroras were incredibly inferior to the ones used by the Ancients, hence the Orion being a far more powerful ship than the ones we attacked over Asuras!

God!

Comment

Logic behind this:

Asuran Auroras are inferior because they lack ZPMs like the earlier Ancient Auroras. Otherwise, they cannot be inferior, since the Asurans know the specs inside out. Hell, they can easily built ZPMs, and Atlantis city ships in mere weeks (which no organic creatures could ever do, Ancients probably took 1+ years to build Atlantis)!

No Mans Land Aurora: Now in order to fire sooo many drones at once (which requires massive power), there was no other way but to shut off the shields or have a ZPM! Otherwise, you fire a few drones at once and have shields up (which due to the damaged nature of the Aurora, Zelenka could not do)! This also applied to human run, ANCIENT BUILD Aurora of Larren's! Nothing to do with the ATA gene (John was firing the drones) or any inferority in tech!

Comment

TPTB never said they were "inferior", if so, then prove it, give me a link.
                    Second, just because you are want something to be true does not make it so.

Once again, i will repeat what i said earlier, from what we have seen so far on the series StarGate SG1, and it's sister show Atlantis, the color of the shield indicates how powerfull and how much protection it provides, white being the most powerfull in the case of the Ori, Blue for the Asgard and the earliest form of shielding, Orange-Yellow for Goauld and Ancients.

The same color coding could hold true for weapon's and i believe Joe Mallozzi did say something about shield colors, i am looking for the comment on his blog.

Comment

TPTB never said they were "inferior", if so, then prove it, give me a link.
                      Second, just because you are want something to be true does not make it so.
                      Okay, here we go, straight from the blog:

PG15 writes: “I thought the Replicator Aurora class ships were kind of weaker than their Lantian cousins in BAMSR. They barely fired any drones and their shields seemed to have come down really fast.”

Answer: Two points - 1. The weapons systems on the Earth ship have been upgraded following the events of Unending. 2. The replicator Aurora-class ships are very good replicas of their original Ancient counterparts. But they are not the originals.
                      And PG15 clarified in the "Joe Mallozzi Blogs Again!" thread that JM meant that to mean that the original Auroras are superior to the Ancient ones.

Comment

Where does it say they are "SUPERIOR" or the Asuran Aurora's "INFERIOR", alll it say's is that they are very good replicas of the orignal Ancient Auroras. This is what you posted -"And TPTB already said that the Asuran Auroras were incredibly inferior to the ones used by the Ancients"

Show me where it say's that they are "incredibly inferior".
                        "Good replicas" does not equal to "incredibly inferior"

And for more information on Aurora class starship's check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_class_battleship
                        Yes, the info is posted by fan's just like you and me, however most of it is unbiased, unlike some people.

Now that we have this settled le't talk weapon's, Asgard Beam Weapon's.

Comment

Where does it say they are "SUPERIOR" or the Asuran Aurora's "INFERIOR", alll it say's is that they are very good replicas of the orignal Ancient Auroras. This is what you posted -"And TPTB already said that the Asuran Auroras were incredibly inferior to the ones used by the Ancients"

Show me where it say's that they are "incredibly inferior".
                          "Good replicas" does not equal to "incredibly inferior"

And for more information on Aurora class starship's check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_class_battleship
                          Yes, the info is posted by fan's just like you and me, however most of it is unbiased, unlike some people.

Now that we have this settled le't talk weapon's, Asgard Beam Weapon's.
                          ...PG15 said in JM's blog's thread that the intent of that line was to get across that Lantean Auroras are better than Asuran ones. Come on, anyone can tell from what JM said that he was saying Ancient ones are better; if you say that "...but it's not the original," you're saying it's not as good.

EDIT: Oh, and since when is Wikipedia a reliable source? It's just as bad as many discussions here in terms of bias, for God's sake!

Comment

Inferiority thing is ALL BULL.

Logically Asuran Auroras are the same as the Ancient Auroras. Hell, if they can make ZPMs like AA batteries, Atlantis city ships in mere weeks! Do get real.

Without a ZPM, an Aurora can only fire few drones at once at STILL HAVE SHIELDS UP! This applies to Larrens ANCIENT BUILT Aurora!

Q.E.D.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                              Inferiority thing is ALL BULL.

Logically Asuran Auroras are the same as the Ancient Auroras. Hell, if they can make ZPMs like AA batteries, Atlantis city ships in mere weeks! Do get real.

Without a ZPM, an Aurora can only fire few drones at once at STILL HAVE SHIELDS UP! This applies to Larrens ANCIENT BUILT Aurora!

Q.E.D.
                              ...it came from JM, how can it be bull?

Comment

He said "Two point's", the first one implied that earth battle cruisers have had their weapons upgraded as to indicate that that is why they quickly brought down the shields of the Asuran Auroras, the second point however, indicates that the Asuran Auroras are very good duplicates of the Ancient ones, but they are not quite the exact same model and thus might have some ship systems that are differ from the orignal's, for example, i have two 20" flat panel monitor's, they are of the same quality, size and provide simlar resolution, however, one is of the Acer brand and the other samsung, one is black, the other silver, but none is better than the other, in terms of performance.

The same thing goes for the Ancient and Asuran warship's, perhaps the Asurans use a more updated version of computer chip's or use a different operating system. Maybe because they are operated by machines they are not as luxurious as the ones operated by humans or they may have a crappy interface, it could mean anything, but unless he (Joe) said that they are indeed "inferior" we cannot assume that they are.

Also, might i add, that the Asuran Aurora's did use drones in pack's, when Sheppard fired the drones to take out the Asuran Aurora, his drones were intercepted by the Asuran Aurora, all but two made it through. Judging by this, one might even argue that the Ancient Aurora's lack the ability to intercept other weaponry i.e. drones, missiles, and so their firing systems are inferior then the Asuran ones.

BAMSR, also shows us how the ancient's lost the war against the Wraith, they are clearly lacking in strategic thinking and because the replicators seem to emulate the Ancients, they too are arrogant and lack qualities like the wraith do, i.e. fighting tenacity, military strategy, resilience.

Comment

Working...
                                X