This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
    In "48 Hours", McKay and Carter refer to the kawoosh as an "unstable vortex" of energy, which wipes clean the crystals that store a traveller's energy pattern. They manage, in that episode, to open an event horizon (sans wormhole, and without a kawoosh) to rematerialise Teal'c, but it's implied that you will always get a kawoosh when you open a wormhole (unless you're a "magical fairy being", i.e. a Nox).

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but in the five years or so since that episode, it would appear that Carter and/or McKay have figured out, not only how to create an event horizon without a kawoosh (and without blowing a DHD to hell), but how to open a wormhole from one stargate to another without a kawoosh.

The McKay / Carter Intergalactic Gate Bridge. You dial the first gate in the series, upload the macro, and step through the event horizon... but instead of rematerialising, the receiving stargate stores your pattern, dials the next gate in the chain, forwards your pattern to the next gate, and so on and so forth.

But... if the energy of the kawoosh wipes the pattern from the stargate's crystals, then McKay and/or Carter must have found a way around it; otherwise, the first gate in the series would receive your pattern, store it, dial the next gate in the chain... and your pattern is erased by the kawoosh as the wormhole connects.

So have Carter and/or McKay found a way to establish a wormhole without a kawoosh? Have they somehow isolated the memory crystals from the kawoosh's energy? Do all 17 stargates in the chain somehow all link up at once (which might explain the apparent two-way communications from one galaxy to the midway station in "The Return, part 1" and "Adrift")?

Please discuss: I'm getting a headache trying to work this out.
    My theory is that gate bridge system uses 2 half wormholes, and a bunch of subspace connections between the gate's hyperspacial buffers. So only two event horizons are formed in total, both with a kawoosh. I have a thread on the 2 way communication thing at http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=7186284 but don't remember there being any two way communication in Atlantis S03E10. All i remember is a one way broadcast threatening Shepard if he did not turn around.
    Last edited by Jsmith45; 07 October 2007, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Can you help me? I've forgotten in which episode say Sam kawoosh for the first time. 9x09 Prototype?
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        Can you help me? I've forgotten in which episode say Sam kawoosh for the first time. 9x09 Prototype?
        It was 9.19, "Crusade".

CARTER: Oh my god… It worked. I mean… you know… it’s working… We didn’t think we were ever going to make this work…
        MITCHELL: Make what work?
        CARTER: Well, since you disintegrated the Alterran communication stones and the base terminal in the Kawoosh, we’ve be-
        MITCHELL: I’m sorry, the what?
        CARTER: The unstable vortex of a forming wormhole… Kawoosh.
        MITCHELL: *frowns* Don’t think I’ve ever heard you call it that before…

Quote is from the GateNoise transcript.
        Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

Working...
        X