Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sample scenario. Something sharp is in front of the stargate you want to dial, you unknowingly step through a non-kawhooshing stargate. You are impaled on arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12 View Post
      Sample scenario. Something sharp is in front of the stargate you want to dial, you unknowingly step through a non-kawhooshing stargate. You are impaled on arrival.
      Thats what i thought to. I think it was said in some episode, i'll go look for it.

Comment

Maybe I am a little slow but I Just thought of this: The "kawoosh" would be the rushing of the air into the area where the vortex just was, and since it destroys anything in its path why not the air, such that it takes up space.
        Last edited by Lord batchi ball; 29 September 2007, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I think the Kawoosh is mainly there to clear the area for anything that's coming through the Stargate so that when whatever it is that is coming through finally emerges from the event horizon, it doesn't get stuck in a brick wall or something. Obviously ways to circumvent the Kawoosh have been made (the SGC's Iris, Atlantis's gate shield).
          Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
          Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
          Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
          --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
            Maybe I am a little slow but I Just thought of this: The "kawoosh" would be the rushing of the air into the area where the vortex just was, and since it destroys anything in its path why not the air, such that it takes up space.
            yeah i agree, i said pretty much the same thing in a thread last week.
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

The times the gate opened without the Kawoosh was because the effects guys were falling down on the job and just plain didn't add it.

Comment

On the Vala Mal Doran page on wikipedia, it's called a vortex - At this juncture, however, Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell and Teal'c successfully destroyed the Ancient communication device by throwing it into the vortex (unstable opening state of a wormhole) of the Stargate, obliterating it and saving the lives of both Daniel and Vala.

Comment

What I want to know is how the gate knows when to shut down. Sometimes they have heaps of refugees coming through and it stays open for a long time. Other times, the team's are coming in hot and the gate shuts down right behind them.
                  'I am frightened that the flame of hate will burn me
                  will scorch my pride, scar my heart
                  It will burn and I cannot put it out...'

Sig by Falcon Horus- thank you!

my LJ of squee *myspace of angst * my fic of random

My OTP forever, by Stef, who is awesome:
                  Spoiler:

Thanks, Stef!

Comment

Maybe the gates are semi-sentient and know when a good time to shut down is, or they're programmed really really well.
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

They shut down when nothing is being sent through.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                        Maybe the gates are semi-sentient and know when a good time to shut down is, or they're programmed really really well.
                        i actaully agree with this idea, the fact that gates have a low level AI for this sort of purpose
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                        Quotes!
                        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                        sigpic

Comment

I was under the impression that the kawoosh was created due to the gate lacking enough power on startup though the ZPM powered Atlantis gate does still have a kawoosh

Comment

how come the iris or whatever (aka other forms of iris' or rocks) go byebye when the kawoosh happens? i mean i know its like really close to the event horizon but its still there.

Comment

It can not form bacause the atoms can not form to destroy the iris because they cant form

ps mods perhaps we could change this to like a Kawoosh Thread for all Kawoosh stuff
                              I'm also know as "Meredith" on Keepthegateopen.net and SG community.com
                              "No it only sound ridiculous till you hear yourself say I'm trapped on a spaceship stuck in a time dilation field."

http://sg1.stargatecommunity.com/eluvatar

Comment

In "48 Hours", McKay and Carter refer to the kawoosh as an "unstable vortex" of energy, which wipes clean the crystals that store a traveller's energy pattern. They manage, in that episode, to open an event horizon (sans wormhole, and without a kawoosh) to rematerialise Teal'c, but it's implied that you will always get a kawoosh when you open a wormhole (unless you're a "magical fairy being", i.e. a Nox).

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but in the five years or so since that episode, it would appear that Carter and/or McKay have figured out, not only how to create an event horizon without a kawoosh (and without blowing a DHD to hell), but how to open a wormhole from one stargate to another without a kawoosh.

The McKay / Carter Intergalactic Gate Bridge. You dial the first gate in the series, upload the macro, and step through the event horizon... but instead of rematerialising, the receiving stargate stores your pattern, dials the next gate in the chain, forwards your pattern to the next gate, and so on and so forth.

But... if the energy of the kawoosh wipes the pattern from the stargate's crystals, then McKay and/or Carter must have found a way around it; otherwise, the first gate in the series would receive your pattern, store it, dial the next gate in the chain... and your pattern is erased by the kawoosh as the wormhole connects.

So have Carter and/or McKay found a way to establish a wormhole without a kawoosh? Have they somehow isolated the memory crystals from the kawoosh's energy? Do all 17 stargates in the chain somehow all link up at once (which might explain the apparent two-way communications from one galaxy to the midway station in "The Return, part 1" and "Adrift")?

Please discuss: I'm getting a headache trying to work this out.
                                Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                                X