This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just what kind of live talk we saw?
    If two characters located far far away talked with no interruption longer than a few seconds, then it proves that the communication can't even wait for one gate to be dialed. It has to already be dialed when the communication debuts.

A mix of long range sensors on both ends of the stargate pair, plus the farthest wormhole which can be created without resorting to super power sources, in order to bypass as many gates in the bridge as possible, would enable a long distance comm, but it would require lots and lots of power.

The principle of the bridge is to reduce power consumption, since it really sky rockets the more distance you put between two gates.

So the goal is to create the longest wormhole possible, to offer the utmost possible range.

So you use a powerful subspace transmitter on the planet at the edge of the Milky Way, where the bridge starts. But you don't dial the gate on that planet.

Instead, you dial gate 5, for example. There, a subspace radio is also installed.

Directly dialing gate 5 will cost more power than the total energy used to establish wormholes from gate 1 to 5, but at least, you cut the delay and keep the message instantaneous.

So back at gate 5. Same deal here. You try to contact the most distant gate on the bridge as you can. Say gate 8.

At gate 8, there's also a subspace radio, which relays the message, and sends it in the direction of the ship or Midway station.

That's live message.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
      Just what kind of live talk we saw?
      If two characters located far far away talked with no interruption longer than a few seconds, then it proves that the communication can't even wait for one gate to be dialed. It has to already be dialed when the communication debuts.

A mix of long range sensors on both ends of the stargate pair, plus the farthest wormhole which can be created without resorting to super power sources, in order to bypass as many gates in the bridge as possible, would enable a long distance comm, but it would require lots and lots of power.

The principle of the bridge is to reduce power consumption, since it really sky rockets the more distance you put between two gates.

So the goal is to create the longest wormhole possible, to offer the utmost possible range.

So you use a powerful subspace transmitter on the planet at the edge of the Milky Way, where the bridge starts. But you don't dial the gate on that planet.

Instead, you dial gate 5, for example. There, a subspace radio is also installed.

Directly dialing gate 5 will cost more power than the total energy used to establish wormholes from gate 1 to 5, but at least, you cut the delay and keep the message instantaneous.

So back at gate 5. Same deal here. You try to contact the most distant gate on the bridge as you can. Say gate 8.

At gate 8, there's also a subspace radio, which relays the message, and sends it in the direction of the ship or Midway station.

That's live message.
      Just so i`m clear. Are you referring to sending the subspace messages without opening the wormhole or just by jumping a load of gates in the bridge and using a wormhole.

If the former, this seems to be the only explanation. But in order to fit in with what was seen in The Return and Adrift/Lifeline, the last gate in the chain will dial the Midway gate as in both of these episodes the transmission was coming through the Stargate itself.
      Also, the starting gate will be open aswell which it was in Adrift/Lifeline, I can't remember if the SGC gate was open in Return.

So we have the starting gate (SGC for example) dialled in to the farthest gate in the bridge that it can reach without a power boost.
      They send the transmission through the wormhole and the gate on the other end relays this signal to other gates via a subspace transmission while the wormhole to the SGC is still open.
      When the transmission reaches a gate within dialling distance of Midway, the gate dials the station and then sends the message through the wormhole.

The same procedure is then repeated backwards for the reply.

imho the writers either should've stated that the IGB was designed to act as a series of subspace comm relays in Return or a later episode (would take all of 5 seconds) or they should've kept communication to databursts which could be passed from gate to gate and not the live communication that we have now.

Comment

As I heard each gate is 94,000-96,000 light years apart which is close to their maximum range to create a stable wormhole hence why for a galaxy 40mLY away there would have to be about 40. For the comms issue remember in SG1 series1 when Klorel contacted Apophis using a big Ball Bearing comunitcator-they were using the subspace link that is always active between stargates as a comm line-Carter probably did the same thing with the Apollo

Comment

Originally posted by hatakuser View Post
          As I heard each gate is 94,000-96,000 light years apart which is close to their maximum range to create a stable wormhole hence why for a galaxy 40mLY away there would have to be about 40. For the comms issue remember in SG1 series1 when Klorel contacted Apophis using a big Ball Bearing comunitcator-they were using the subspace link that is always active between stargates as a comm line-Carter probably did the same thing with the Apollo
          I don't buy the old Goa`uld Communicator using a subspace link idea. Main reason is that this hasn't been seen since S1 and there have been a number of things that have been dropped or amended since S1. Also, if the gate could be used as some sort of subspace transmitter in Adrift/Lifeline would Atlantis not have just used its gate to contact the Apollo. It doesn't have to be active to do so and therefore if it could be used as a subspace transmitter I`m fairly sure they would've.

There is also the fact that the Stargate was active therefore it is reasonable to assume that the transmission was coming through the Stargate. If that is so, the Apollo must've either made a direct connection with the Midway gate (which would probably require quite alot of power from Pegasus), or they just activated the first and last gates and used subspace transmitters installed on the other gates to relay the message between those gates.

Or if you like they used the gates themselves as subspace transmitters.

Which it is doesn't really matter but I think what we can all agree on is that the only gates that were actually active were the one on the planet the Apollo was at which was connected to the next in line, and the first Stargate within dialling distance which was connected to Midway.

Subspace relays seems the only way the transmission could span the remaining distance, unless subspace transmission has a much longer range than we have been led to believe.

Comment

For the Subspace thingy to work the gate has to be on a planet otherwise the other gates can't update themselves to account fo stellar rift or in this case the City ship moving

Comment

Magnets.

Okay, not really. The script needed instant communication between one of the galaxies and the Midway Station. So, poof, instant communication.

Bad writing? Maybe. But that's sci-fi.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi View Post
                Magnets.

Okay, not really. The script needed instant communication between one of the galaxies and the Midway Station. So, poof, instant communication.

Bad writing? Maybe. But that's sci-fi.
                It may be bad writing but I have seen many other scifi series that don't have such glaring mistakes in them.

It seems that in the last few seasons of SG1 and most of Atlantis, that PTB just don't seem that bothered about continuity and staying true to established canon. They just do whatever they like on an episode by episode basis, screw if it contradicts something they've already shown.

I`m not talking about reuse of old computer graphics or dialogue slips, these happen to any show, but things that are not so easily forgotten seem to be occurring on a regular basis these days.

Comeon PTB, pay more attention to what you've already done and you`ll make a better show for it.

Comment

Yeah, it's becoming very annoying.

As someone who works very hard on his own scripts and is trying like crazy to get produced. . . for guys who have solid jobs like the Atlantis/SG-1 writing team to contunue to get paid with such, what I consider to be, lazy writing really makes me upset and discouraged. Much like the proliferation of re-makes and sequels in film, the whole industry is becoming laxadaisical.

New writers aren't given a chance and the established writers get paid for the same old formulaic crap. TV is much the same and Atlantis is getting to be no different than any other drama or sitcom.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi View Post
                    Yeah, it's becoming very annoying.

As someone who works very hard on his own scripts and is trying like crazy to get produced. . . for guys who have solid jobs like the Atlantis/SG-1 writing team to contunue to get paid with such, what I consider to be, lazy writing really makes me upset and discouraged. Much like the proliferation of re-makes and sequels in film, the whole industry is becoming laxadaisical.

New writers aren't given a chance and the established writers get paid for the same old formulaic crap. TV is much the same and Atlantis is getting to be no different than any other drama or sitcom.
                    I agree. It seems the writers simply don't want to explain how this live communication is possible, and it's beginning to get annoying. By their own explaination of the gate bridge, it shouldn't be possible.

Comment

The most annoying thing about this particular cock-up is that it doesn't even need explaining in words.
                      All they had to do was not have the Stargate open and we would've happily assumed that they were communicating via a bog-standard direct subspace transmission.
                      I'm sure there would've been people saying that subspace transmissions don't go that far but that would be all speculation whereas here the writers have directly contradicted on screen something else that they explained on screen. There is no avoiding that.

It would've taken no more screen time (actually a couple of seconds less), no more money, nothing just to avoid that one little mistake.

Comment

Whilst i agree that the Apophis had his Comm ball floating in the gate for symbolism, i think that is on the right track : I think the gates do act as communicators.

How many times have we seen SG-1 just saunter back through the gate without seeing the iris open for them ? We also know for certain that the gates can transmit data without the wormhole physically open in both gates because DHDs update each other and we've seen individual chevrons light up one at a time offworld on incoming wormholes.

It makes sense that the gates establish a sub-space connection before the wormhole actually opens up, and this prior connection may be capable of sending GDO signals (which is why the SGC don't bother to close the iris on an incoming when they receive a GDO signal first).

Obviously, this can only happen when dialing another gate, so if you're sending a signal that's taking a while (e.g. a rant at the mutinous Sheppard and co.), the wormhole will open up before you finish talking. I vaguely remember the gate behind the jumper opened up. The macro clearly aligns each gate with the next one in the bridge (and probably even is designed to let a signal carry from one gate to the next).

Furthermore, as we've seen in the past signals travel faster through the wormhole than people ; there never is a time-lag in signals (except for blackhole situations) probably cause signals use a seperate subspace connection (which may also explain why signals go both ways). There's no reason for a signal to go slower just cause it's relayed through multiple gates.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, getting too sleepy to type coherently

Comment

i have a theory.

Imagine that each part of the bridge is a pair of gates much like the midway station, but without the midway station.....

We dial one gate, which sends a signal to make the next gate in the pair to dial the next one along the bridge, which sends a signal to the next one in the pair to dial the next one in the bridge etc.. This takes 15 mins (to get all the gates from the midway station to earth/atlantis), or 30mins for direct communication from Earth to Atlantis.

When all the gates are dialed, the signal goes through the first gate in a pair and then through the second gate which sends the signal through to the next pair etc until the signal gets to the midway station. This should happen pretty instantaneously (well close enough).

Now my theory is flawed with the fact that each pair should have the same address, but not if they are at the very edge of those co-ordinates and the next gate in the pair is at the very edge of the next co-ordinates

(x1= first gate in pair, x2= second gate in pair, ¦ co-ordinate barrier)

x1¦x2

Now if I'm right they have 2 macros, one to make the the bridge work normally (stores matter and forwards you to the next gate). And one to make all the gates in the bridge be on at once.

Hope this made sense, I'd be able to explain it better visually. If I ever get a video camera I'll make a youtube video and hope the series hasn't done anything to disprove me by then
                          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                            i have a theory.

Imagine that each part of the bridge is a pair of gates much like the midway station, but without the midway station.....
                            That was answered in First Strike when the Asuran gate weapon used the same point of origin as Atlantis, two gates shareing a single point of origin can not both activate at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by gavo2o View Post
                              That was answered in First Strike when the Asuran gate weapon used the same point of origin as Atlantis, two gates shareing a single point of origin can not both activate at the same time
                              Lets go back to the movie.... the 6 co-ordinates form a box. Imagine that you could get 2 boxes next to each other.....

X = Gate ¦ = a line separating the 2 boxes

X¦X

Because they are in different boxes they have different co-ordinates thus a different point of origin. but they are still next to each other.

Hope that clears it up more
                              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                                We've seen the gate dial near instantaneously (nox, asguard, ancient dialing) so a quick series of actuations seems reasonable if a macro is being used.
                                That's a good theory

Comment

Working...
                                X