Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ori ships' shields - do they absorb energy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravroz View Post
    I agree with you we produce on average one new ship per year. Plus, every once in a while we manage to get one blown to pieces. I'm also fairly certain that the entire Asgard fleet went up with their home planet. While the Oddy is the most powerful ship we have by far. We have only one zpm for use in a ship. The other ships may get Asgard power generators but they will not be as effective as a zpm.
    I thought it was 2 ships a year Korolev+Apollo were the second batch-Daedalus+Oddessy were the first. The Asgard fleet went up but with all the Asgard knowledge would be the diagrams and how to build manuals for the Beliskner, Daniel Jackson and Oniell class Starships. I would say the Oddessy would be able to take on 2 Ori ships and win but would have to avoid combat afterwards to recharge the shields

Comment

Originally posted by Jyral Nadreth View Post
      I thought it was 2 ships a year Korolev+Apollo were the second batch-Daedalus+Oddessy were the first. The Asgard fleet went up but with all the Asgard knowledge would be the diagrams and how to build manuals for the Beliskner, Daniel Jackson and Oniell class Starships. I would say the Oddessy would be able to take on 2 Ori ships and win but would have to avoid combat afterwards to recharge the shields
      Season 6: Prometheus

Season 8: Daedalus

Season 9: Odyssey and Korolev (Pressed into service)

Season 10: Apollo
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        Season 6: Prometheus

Season 8: Daedalus

Season 9: Odyssey and Korolev (Pressed into service)

Season 10: Apollo
        The Daedalus would have been finished near the latter half of Season 8 in time for SGA Season 2. Oddessy yep mid season 9. Korolev still had a lot of work to be done on her when she was forced into battle so probably would have been finished mid Season 10 around the same time Apollo would have been nearing completion

Comment

I think the Asgard weapons are just so powerful similar to what we've seen with the Ori's own weapon. Think about this: you have a thin copper wire holding up a weight (shield protecting ship), you then take take a battery and place a charge across part of the copper wire (shield takes hit), you then plug copper wire into outlet: it breaks (shield is penetrates). It might absorb energy, but it can only absorb so much.
          When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
          Zatnikitelman

Comment

The Daedalus would have been finished near the latter half of Season 8 in time for SGA Season 2. Oddessy yep mid season 9. Korolev still had a lot of work to be done on her when she was forced into battle so probably would have been finished mid Season 10 around the same time Apollo would have been nearing completion
            True, but the Apollo was only finished when it was because they no longer had to finish up the Korolev. It allowed them to start on it sooner.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Well I think Wikipedia say's there are 2 building at a time and there must be 2 Yards to do this as Daedalus and Oddessy were finished in Season 9. It is very true that they may have shifted all the personel to finish Apollo after Korolev went boom as Earth was about the be overan by the Ori.

Comment

I have always speculated that the Asgard beams penetrated the Orii shields by taking advantage of a flaw rather than brute force.

Look at the Ancient energy beam: It rips through the Wraith hull like a knife through tissue paper.

The Asgard beams create huge explosions on the Orii hull, they do not shred it. Same with the Orii beams, they devestate and rip through hulls like a foot through a wooden board (think Tae Kwon Do style).

But the Asgard beams cause the hull to explode. They don't pierce. That means they do not have the brute force and intense energy to cut through it like butter. They just disipate into the hull creating massive explossions, and pound the ship to pieces like any Goa'uld, Orii, or Ancient pulse weapons would.

So it would seem that Asgard beams, while extremely powerful on their own regardless, are not able to pierce the Orii shields through brute force, rather, they cause fluctuations that increase and intesify, distabalizing the shields and callapsing them.

Note that at no time in the episode is a % given for Orii shields, or any indication of how much more damage they can take. Rather it is said in the episode after the first Asgard beams are fired, that the Orii shields are "fluctuating". The same term was used when the Orii ships first appeared. The shields were said to "fluctuate" whenever the Orii ship fired its main beam weapon. They were able to pierce the Orii shields with Transporter beams.

So my hypothesis is that Orii shields are vulnerable to sustained beams of energy. And this vulnerability causes the shields to fluctuate and even become unstable to the point of callapsing, if the energy beam is directed at the shields and damaging them.

I doubt they absorb pulse weapon's energy, as this would certainly have been mentioned. Rather, the planet condensing shield had to absorb energy because of its extreme energy needs.

Comment

The weapons often used/found on SG-1 I simply accept as plot devices, and don't try to analyze them too closely. Because if I do analyze them then all sorts of contradictions or non-sensical items surface.

There is a hierarchy in weapons and also in defensive measures ("shields") so as to cause an inter-galactic arms race. E.g. The Ancients shields on Atlantis are incredible (assuming one has ZPMs on hand...) Likewise the Ancient device on Dakaara is immensely destructive. Pegged below these are the Ori devices. The Asgard offensive weapons seem superior to their defensive ones and not quite as good as the Ancients. The Nox are supreme at counter-intel operations, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
                    I have always speculated that the Asgard beams penetrated the Orii shields by taking advantage of a flaw rather than brute force.

Look at the Ancient energy beam: It rips through the Wraith hull like a knife through tissue paper.

The Asgard beams create huge explosions on the Orii hull, they do not shred it. Same with the Orii beams, they devestate and rip through hulls like a foot through a wooden board (think Tae Kwon Do style).

But the Asgard beams cause the hull to explode. They don't pierce. That means they do not have the brute force and intense energy to cut through it like butter. They just disipate into the hull creating massive explossions, and pound the ship to pieces like any Goa'uld, Orii, or Ancient pulse weapons would.

So it would seem that Asgard beams, while extremely powerful on their own regardless, are not able to pierce the Orii shields through brute force, rather, they cause fluctuations that increase and intesify, distabalizing the shields and callapsing them.

Note that at no time in the episode is a % given for Orii shields, or any indication of how much more damage they can take. Rather it is said in the episode after the first Asgard beams are fired, that the Orii shields are "fluctuating". The same term was used when the Orii ships first appeared. The shields were said to "fluctuate" whenever the Orii ship fired its main beam weapon. They were able to pierce the Orii shields with Transporter beams.

So my hypothesis is that Orii shields are vulnerable to sustained beams of energy. And this vulnerability causes the shields to fluctuate and even become unstable to the point of callapsing, if the energy beam is directed at the shields and damaging them.

I doubt they absorb pulse weapon's energy, as this would certainly have been mentioned. Rather, the planet condensing shield had to absorb energy because of its extreme energy needs.
                    I don't think they're vulnerabled to sustain beam weapons at all.
                    That would be very poor, especially since such a weapon would have a much lower power, and it would have not taken the Asgards a fraking full year to come with a weapon that they didn't even test themselves.

It's just that somehow, it uses a technobabble thingy, probably based on the observation of shield behaviour during Camelot's battle.

Like, huh, if the shield absorbed energy, the asgard beam weapon would be a sort of "decoy/poison/trojan" beam, which makes the absorbing function think there's something to suck from that beam, but it's in fact anti-energy or something, it degrades the system, or heats up/disrupts the shield generators with microcuts, and thus creates a fluctuation in the field, a weakened zone, and then a hole.

Well, anyway, there's a technobabble in play, and I'm 100% certain that this is a very specific anti-Ori weapon.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

This is exactly what I've been saying since I joined the forum. The Asgard nearly never use brute force-they work around defences instead of going through them. I would say the Asgard studied scans from the battle of camelot to understand why the Ori's main cannon disrupted their own shields and developed their own beam weapon from it

Comment

Er, not tryin to flame you here, but your argument is a little flawed (pardon the pun). In Unending, you can clearly see one of Odyssey's weapons cut clean through the hull of an Ori ship.
                        Spoiler:

That is a screencap I took of the episode which I bought from iTunes I've circled where the weapon shoots through the hull.
                        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                        Zatnikitelman

Comment

Well I think Wikipedia say's there are 2 building at a time and there must be 2 Yards to do this as Daedalus and Oddessy were finished in Season 9. It is very true that they may have shifted all the personel to finish Apollo after Korolev went boom as Earth was about the be overan by the Ori.

Um... The Daedalus was finished in late season 8, and the Odyssey was finished in late season 9... a year apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                            Er, not tryin to flame you here, but your argument is a little flawed (pardon the pun). In Unending, you can clearly see one of Odyssey's weapons cut clean through the hull of an Ori ship.
                            Spoiler:

That is a screencap I took of the episode which I bought from iTunes I've circled where the weapon shoots through the hull.
                            So? All indicators point to Ori armor itself being rather weak (soldiers, fighters, etc.). That's not really surprising. It's the shields and weapons (basically, the high-tech stuff) that is so strong.

Comment

Oh well I cant be bothered to argue about dates of ship launches-lets just be licky to have any ships at all

Comment

This is exactly what I've been saying since I joined the forum. The Asgard nearly never use brute force-they work around defences instead of going through them. I would say the Asgard studied scans from the battle of camelot to understand why the Ori's main cannon disrupted their own shields and developed their own beam weapon from it
                                I don't think they were working on weapons to destroy the Ori ships but just compiling the Asgard database.

Comment

Working...
                                X