Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when a ship is cloaked, why dont weapons work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
    Its all in the hands of the writers.
    Not really. Shields operate on frequencies. And scientifically, you can't have both systems operational. One system will block out the other. And there's no way to integrate both at the same time.

Comment

Some good ideas there IcyNeko. Perhaps the cloak simply doesn't let anything out. Light and all wavelengths of EM radiation, solid objects etc, so the end result is much like a black hole (without the huge gravity). You can't detect the ship because nothing is getting out. (including all types of weapons)

But then we can only guess at how a cloak really works. Actually I think it's more the writers trying to keep things fair and not make any one ship too powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
        Not really. Shields operate on frequencies. And scientifically, you can't have both systems operational. One system will block out the other. And there's no way to integrate both at the same time.
        He's right to a point. Every single thing in the show is in the hands of the writers. Even though they try to follow some physics they can still bend and twist things to fit how they want.
        Also, remember ST: Nemesis? The Scimitar could raise shields AND fire weapons while cloaked.
        www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

I'm not carter but:
          Maybe when you fire your weapon it disrupts the cloak and makes the cloak loss control of the field it is cloaking. which either the cloak falls or the cloak loses it's effectiveness and make the one you are attacking able to pick you up on sensors

though I am no Carter
          Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
          Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
          new enemy of the Ori
          At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
            A better question would be asking how they can still use their radios while the ship is cloaked. If a cloak neutralised EM fields, how can you get a radio signal through? Or if the cloak works by some other method, how come the enemy never picks up the radio waves? It aint exactly rocket science to detect one

That is actually a pretty good question. Same thing applies to sensors.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
              A better question would be asking how they can still use their radios while the ship is cloaked. If a cloak neutralised EM fields, how can you get a radio signal through? Or if the cloak works by some other method, how come the enemy never picks up the radio waves? It aint exactly rocket science to detect one
              IIRC, the Goa`uld have never been able to detect our radio signals. We don't know for certain that it does neutralise EM fields. No one knows how the cloak works.

If we use the concept of Trek cloaks, the light is bent around the cloak bubble. So as no light is bouncing off the ship it appears to not be there. Everything else is probably hidden by that same bubble and only something specifically aimed to exit the field, such as a radio signal, can escape.

You never know, one day they might explain how the cloak works. But I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingomon View Post
                I'm not carter but:
                Maybe when you fire your weapon it disrupts the cloak and makes the cloak loss control of the field it is cloaking. which either the cloak falls or the cloak loses it's effectiveness and make the one you are attacking able to pick you up on sensors

though I am no Carter
                Yeah your right, if we where to fire our wepons whilst cloaked then it would not only effect our cloak but would give our Position aswell. and just like i said they would just start fireing blind and distroy us!
                This is Colonel Steven Caldwell
                Commander of the Earth ship Daedalus
                we are ready to assist you!

" open up those bays all batteries "

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                  IIRC, the Goa`uld have never been able to detect our radio signals. We don't know for certain that it does neutralise EM fields. No one knows how the cloak works.
                  So they can detect "lifesigns" on a ship/planet, but not a radio wave?

Comment

Maybe they just aren't looking for it and just never considered that someone might choose to use crappy radio waves instead of nice subspace signals to communicate over distances.

Comment

Another point for our backward ways...

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        Another point for our backward ways...
                        wow, first projectile weapons, then radio waves? This is nuts!
                        Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                        Check out my Flickr

Comment

i think i have to agree with some of these points, maybe if they fire it will give their position away just like when u touch a cloaked ship(in stargate or whatever) its flutuates.

plus shields are very power draining and are only activated when there is a threat, so with a cloaked ship it would be easier to shoot the bridge or control station and then the ship would be dead
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok i've said this once before but no one payed attention so listen this time lol.

Everyones saying they don't fire when cloaked because it will give away their position and they'd be more susceptable to damage. WRONG! It wouldn't make a difference because Alkesh don't have shields therefore it would be in their best interests to stay cloaked while attacking. Thus proving cloaking and weapons can't work together.
                            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

theres a way to combine sheilds and stealth... you apply physical stealth and standard sheilding. Btw Physical stealth is essentially the effort to make the hull of a given vessel give as little a sensor return as is possible on enemy sensors.
                              "It's because you just cant spell manslaughter without the laughter..."

"If you move around the letters in "Ori Infantry" it spells Meatsheild."

Comment

Hows about an easy reason..

When the cloak is engaged, the 'link' from the console to the weapons is disengaged..

Comment

Working...
                                X