Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very simple answer: Borg adapt-Borg assimilate Ori technology-Borg become unstoppable.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
      As you well know though ori beams can't topple a mountain in one shot...
      Well, yeah, but there's more to this. notice how the first bolt hitting the mountain actually does absolutely nothing to the rock.
      After that, another strikes and only then, the mountain explodes.
      That, coupled with shots from space where we see wide orange splashes occuring at the surface of Dakara.
      Yet in Unending an ori beam is powerful to do what you know.
      So, any idea?
      I don't know what to think about that.

...Cubes are 3000m per side and multiple reduntant systems as well being able to function when 78% of the ship is inopperable, first engagement i can see a cube being taken out from a clean straight threw the middle shot but after that it gets more difficult for the Ori as the Borg will adapt and the beam will lose effectiveness...
      Borg adaptation is a no limit fallacy. It has to be explained, and apparently, it couldn't adapt to everything. Those 88xx whatever species became a problem to the Borg with their energy weapons.
      Either they manage to disassemble a beam, absord the energy or whatever, there has to be physic principles behind it.
      A Borg will never be able to adapt to a rock thrown at them, evidenced by their lack of ability to even resist holographic emulated bullets fired by a tommygun.

A Cube might have many redundant systems, but I remember that Trek ships destroying Cubes don't need to destroy a large part of them to succeed. Somewhere in those Cubes lies a vital point.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
        Well, yeah, but there's more to this. notice how the first bolt hitting the mountain actually does absolutely nothing to the rock.
        After that, another strikes and only then, the mountain explodes.
        That, coupled with shots from space where we see wide orange splashes occuring at the surface of Dakara.
        Yet in Unending an ori beam is powerful to do what you know.
        So, any idea?
        I don't know what to think about that.
        Well we both know SG is hardly consistant with weapon yields but we've seen trek ships (primitative ones at that) level mountains and the surrounding area in a single shot...

A way to explain the first shot is that the mountain had a shield, first shot hits the shield disabling it the second strikes the mountain but still does less than impressive damage...

Ori beams are strange though able to drain Asgard shields and puncture Ha'taks in a single shot but unable to topple a mountain...

We saw more of those 'Orange splashes' in the episode Line in the sand at ground level the devastation was pathetic compared to the blast we saw from orbit...

Borg adaptation is a no limit fallacy. It has to be explained, and apparently, it couldn't adapt to everything. Those 88xx whatever species became a problem to the Borg with their energy weapons.
        Either they manage to disassemble a beam, absord the energy or whatever, there has to be physic principles behind it.
        A Borg will never be able to adapt to a rock thrown at them, evidenced by their lack of ability to even resist holographic emulated bullets fired by a tommygun.

A Cube might have many redundant systems, but I remember that Trek ships destroying Cubes don't need to destroy a large part of them to succeed. Somewhere in those Cubes lies a vital point.
        I agree Borg adaption is not unlimited but even against species 8472 where as in the beggining it was a 1 or 2 shot kill per cube by the end of the war the borg were sustaining multiple hits abeit taking heavy damage. SG weapons don't seem to have the ability to change frequency so going by what we know about the Borg they should be able to adapt once they know what they're dealing with.

Indeed there is a vital part but it still took like a dozen ships to break through and hit it even after a running battle for what's thought to be days against possibly hundreds of ships...
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Borg cube emerges from Warp and finds an Orimothership sitting in space. They find it quite pretty and begin their little rant. Meanwhile, the Prior has opened communications and is quoting the Book of Origin to try to convert the unknown vessel.

As the Borg finish "Resistance is futile", they open an assault with their weapons, all of which fall to the might of the Ori shields. Responding in kind, the mothership fires the main weapon, which punches into the front of the Borg cube, leaving a path of destruction nearly into the center of the cube.
          The Cube halts it's attack, seemingly pondering this new technology, and the Ori motherships waits to see the next move.

After the brief delay, the Borg cube opens fire with even more than last time. The Ori shield wavers but holds strong against the continuous barrage. Seeing the Borg's resolve, the Ori vessel fires again, aimed for the top corner of the cube. The Ori beam travels through the edge of the cube's interior, and can be seen disappating after it has emerged from the other side.

As the massive chunk of the cube breaks off and drifts slowly away, the constant Borg weapons fire cause the Ori ship's sheid to give way. The Ori fire again, and the Prior is in shock as an invisible barrier blocks the entire shot from making contact with the ship. With the Ori shield down, the Borg make no delay in beaming over assault teams to capture the ship.

While slowly gaining the upperhand in the space battle, the overwhelming number of the Borg drones easily defeat the Ori soldiers and take control of the ship.

Moral of the story: Borg would win, but would certainly take some damage first.

Comment

How many Borg would it take to assimulate a Prior?

Comment

Many, many, many. At some point, if the Priors' powers are used against the Ori's wills, he will be autovaporized.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

There is only one real way to compare the two races between two different shows and two different universes: Their travel speed.

That is the only comparison that is measured in the same way through 2 different shows. Everything else is measured differently or not explained at all. The Ori are vastly faster than the Borg. Therefore I assume that they are more advanced than the Borg in all other aspects as well. So I'd put my money on the Ori any day.
                www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by hypochondriac View Post
                  nano probes can i believe be distributed as a gas so one inhale and the Prior is done for...
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

i dont think the borg would win, startreks shields suck.... i mean in stargate the earth ship lasted a hit from the sun blast.... in startrek a ship would be destroyed... also stargate has hyper space... and beaming tech... beam nukes
                    Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                    Anime signature in spoiler tag
                    Spoiler:
                    Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
                      i dont think the borg would win, startreks shields suck.... i mean in stargate the earth ship lasted a hit from the sun blast.... in startrek a ship would be destroyed... also stargate has hyper space... and beaming tech... beam nukes
                      The Ori dont have any nukes.

Comment

nano probes can i believe be distributed as a gas so one inhale and the Prior is done for...
                        Too bad they rarely use it at all. As far as I saw, to assimilate someone, the Bord had to physically capture the person.

Plus Priors shields himself from poisonous gas and all that stuff.

Stomps his staff. Seriously, between what a Prior's done onscreen and what other have been reported to do, grow the illnesses of all the Sodan and make their crop grow by magic, create daedly virii and resurrect people all suddenly.
                        With the help of a stargate, they can create earthquakes that level several cities all at once, or cast shields that can engulf planets, grow from their enemy's firepower, and then crush it. They can cast walls of fire, use telekinesis on any sorts of things like people, sending them fly in the sky beyond the horizon, have their own shield to stop bullets and energy weapons.

Besides, Borg drones hardly attack en masse, as a masse enough to pose problem to a Prior with such powers.

Comment

Sg-1 Has an anti prior device. So it shouldn't be that hard for the Borg to counteract a prior.

Shields and weapon yields depend on what source you use. According to one source the Photon torpedoes have a yield of 100 mega tons according to another is only in the kilotons

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                            Too bad they rarely use it at all. As far as I saw, to assimilate someone, the Bord had to physically capture the person.

Plus Priors shields himself from poisonous gas and all that stuff.

Stomps his staff. Seriously, between what a Prior's done onscreen and what other have been reported to do, grow the illnesses of all the Sodan and make their crop grow by magic, create daedly virii and resurrect people all suddenly.
                            With the help of a stargate, they can create earthquakes that level several cities all at once, or cast shields that can engulf planets, grow from their enemy's firepower, and then crush it. They can cast walls of fire, use telekinesis on any sorts of things like people, sending them fly in the sky beyond the horizon, have their own shield to stop bullets and energy weapons.

Besides, Borg drones hardly attack en masse, as a masse enough to pose problem to a Prior with such powers.
                            The Borg can do it though if they have to and though Priors can protect themselves from gases and such they'd need to know about it by the time they realise they'd already be infected and well on the way to becoming drones.

Comment

Originally posted by hypochondriac View Post
                              Between the self-destruct and their hoktaur abilities, I'm betting on the Ori in a ground engagement. The Ori also have shown the ability to adapt, which is why that bomb didn't get past their shields after firing their main weapon (I think the episode was counterstrike)
                              Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                              The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                              A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                              That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                              Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                              Caboose: They could be worse?
                              Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

The Borg can do it though if they have to and though Priors can protect themselves from gases and such they'd need to know about it by the time they realise they'd already be infected and well on the way to becoming drones.
                                So Trek crews are naturally immune to airbone nanoprobes or what? I can't remember Trek crews turning into Borg just because they've been inhaling air in close proximity to some Borg stuff.
                                Are you sure this happened, and is not a one shot plot device?

Comment

Working...
                                X