No announcement yet.

BC-304 vs. Imperial Star Destroyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold on what are we talking about here the Executor Class Super Star destroyer (19.5 kilometers long) or the Imperator class Imperial Star destroyer (1 kilometer long)

a Wraith Hive would have a hard time matching the Executor; heck a borg cube would have a hard time matching an executor. they are two different ships.

As for the Fighters
    Good points, but the Ties are built as mass produced dime a dozen; the 302 is built with good ol quality US engineering. the Ties have better numbers; the 302's have better equipment; and seeing how 12 F-22's recently took out 132 aircraft in recent wargames without a single casualtie to them selves. thats pretty good odds the 302's would win. but it does come down to if the 302's have some kind of cannon.

As for the Tractor beams - if the Oddy gets THAT close; its doing something wrong and lets no forget that the weapons of the ISD are pulsed whereas Oddys weapons look beam based and the ISD has one critical flaw being it has no weapons on the underside so oddy can just sit on the underside out of tractor range and keep firing until something breaks.
    sigpic

Comment

302s do have cannons. and Imperator Class Star Destroyers, the most common kind in the Empire, don't have any weapons that fire aft. in theory, if a ship could stay behind the destroyer they could take shots all day...knock out engines, sensor/shield domes, burn through the bridge tower, then pound til they breach the power core.
      That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by 123NotIt View Post
        302s do have cannons. and Imperator Class Star Destroyers, the most common kind in the Empire, don't have any weapons that fire aft. in theory, if a ship could stay behind the destroyer they could take shots all day...knock out engines, sensor/shield domes, burn through the bridge tower, then pound til they breach the power core.
        Try telling that to fugiman.
        Spoiler:
        Spoiler:
        A tribute to the Asgard, a great race, great allies and our best friends!
        The Tau'ri will not forget about you.

Your legacy is safe with use.

Comment

Originally posted by 123NotIt View Post
          yeah the ISD has really crappy firing arcs; most of its weapon batteries are concerntrated on broadside and frontal firing arcs; get behind or under it and its pwned.

the ISD really was a pourly designed peice for crap designed as a weapon of terror not a weapon of war.

As for 302's having cannons; I can't testify either way I honestly don't know but I'd assume they would as most fighters mount a cannon or some kind since 'Nam
          sigpic

Comment

Actually, if you go by the EU (games included), an ISD does have a fairly large number of turbolaser batteries on its underside, although the bulk of them appear to be located close around the shield generator. It's true though that they don't seem to be quite as deadly as the turrets topside, although I guess it's probably cos' the underside might rely more on fighter support for defense, due to the hanger being located there.

One thing though, I do most definitely agree that the upgraded Odyssey's beam weapons would almost certainly be capable of damaging and eventually destroying an ISD. The problem however is that the ISD is also definitely capable of destroying the Odyssey. It all boils down to whichever vessel first gets the drop on the other IMO.

A lot of the scenarios played out in the posts thus far with regards to the Odyssey defeating the ISD seem to rely on the fact that the former vessel's captain has a fairly in-depth knowledge of what an ISD is (schematics, strengths and weaknesses, etc.) and how to exploit its weaknesses. However, assuming that both vessels encounter one another for the very first time, it's logical to assume that the Odyssey might attempt to briefly directly engage the ISD head-on to gauge its strength (kinda like with the Daedalus and the Hiveships), and if that's the case, there's a very good chance that the Odyssey'll be toast before they even have a chance to escape into hyperspace (although that's not to say that the ISD will come out unscathed).

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of Nightmares View Post
              Actually, if you go by the EU (games included), an ISD does have a fairly large number of turbolaser batteries on its underside, although the bulk of them appear to be located close around the shield generator. It's true though that they don't seem to be quite as deadly as the turrets topside, although I guess it's probably cos' the underside might rely more on fighter support for defense, due to the hanger being located there.

One thing though, I do most definitely agree that the upgraded Odyssey's beam weapons would almost certainly be capable of damaging and eventually destroying an ISD. The problem however is that the ISD is also definitely capable of destroying the Odyssey. It all boils down to whichever vessel first gets the drop on the other IMO.

A lot of the scenarios played out in the posts thus far with regards to the Odyssey defeating the ISD seem to rely on the fact that the former vessel's captain has a fairly in-depth knowledge of what an ISD is (schematics, strengths and weaknesses, etc.) and how to exploit its weaknesses. However, assuming that both vessels encounter one another for the very first time, it's logical to assume that the Odyssey might attempt to briefly directly engage the ISD head-on to gauge its strength (kinda like with the Daedalus and the Hiveships), and if that's the case, there's a very good chance that the Odyssey'll be toast before they even have a chance to escape into hyperspace (although that's not to say that the ISD will come out unscathed).
              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
              A Face you Can Trust
              sigpic
              So whats the worst that could happen?
              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Where is it shown that F-302's have cannons? What episode was that shown? I have never seen them use cannons so I'm just wondering, I'm not calling you a liar but I have never seen them used
                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                So whats the worst that could happen?
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                  Where is it shown that F-302's have cannons? What episode was that shown? I have never seen them use cannons so I'm just wondering, I'm not calling you a liar but I have never seen them used
                  Stargate Atlantis: No man's land. You can see Sheppard in a F-302 firing canons.
                  Spoiler:
                  Spoiler:
                  A tribute to the Asgard, a great race, great allies and our best friends!
                  The Tau'ri will not forget about you.

Your legacy is safe with use.

Comment

You Oddy supporters keep saying that it has agailty but the SD has a tractor beam which will hold it in place so the Oddy can't even move. Thus taking away the agailty of the Oddy and letting the SD have a field day with target pratice on teh oddy.

Really? Yet, the NEVER USED it in the battle over Endor.
                    http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Tovny View Post
                      Stargate Atlantis: No man's land. You can see Sheppard in a F-302 firing canons.
                      also seen in SGA The Intruder, when he uses cannons to knock out the communications array.
                      That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

The Tie-Fighters are highly maneuvarable and able to dodge the missles so then when the F-302's are out of missles what do they have left nothing. Then the Tie-Fighters have target pratice on the f-302's.

Also the Tie-Bombers could attack the shields. And the Tie-Intercepters have great pilots and could wipe the floor with the F-302's
                        Those huge honkin heavy Tie's wouldn't have a hope of evading an AIM-120 AMRAAM Missile. In comparason to the Missile's speed and agility the tie loses badly. After the 302's have expended their arments they would just switch to the cannon. Granted not as effective as missiles but still deadly. Besides I thought this was a thread on the Odyssy Vs a Star Destroyer?
                        Last edited by .jolinar.; 31 March 2007, 05:49 AM.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General View Post

Really? Yet, the NEVER USED it in the battle over Endor.
                          Actually, we don't know whether or not the ISDs used their tractor beams during that battle. An ISD's 10 tractor beam generators are usually only particularly effective against ships that are smaller than the aforementined vessel (such as Leia's Corellian Corvette at the beginning of A New Hope) in order to bring it to a near-complete stop, although if all 10 are activated, they can sufficiently slow down an equal-sized vessel for the ISD to close in to attack range.

Thing being however that both the Imperial and Rebel ships during that fight were in such close proximity to one another that there probably wasn't any reason to activate the tractor beams, since none of the Rebel ships seemed to be attempting to escape (probably due to the presence of at least one Interdictor-class Star Destroyer, I'll cover this later) as Ackbar had ordered them to engage the Imps directly as they stood a better chance as compared to against the second Death Star.

Against something the size of the Odyssey however (which is roughly a quarter to slightly over a third the size of an ISD at best), the the tractor beams would almost definitely have an effect, although that wouldn't prevent the Odyssey from firing back at the ISD if it's within range as long as its has at least some turrets aimed at the latter vessel. Also, if it's an Interdictor Imperial-class Star Destroyer (yes, there is such a vessel in SW canon), then it also comes equipped with four gravity well projectors which when activated prevent any vessel from jumping into hyperspace (in addition to actually being capable of pulling vessels out of hyperspace), which is also another serious handicap to the Odyssey's hit and run tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                            Those huge honkin heavy Tie's wouldn't have a hope of evading an AIM-120 AMRAAM Missile. In comparason to the Missile's speed and agility the tie loses badly. After the 302's have expended their arments they would just switch to the cannon. Granted not as effective as missiles but still deadly. Besides I thought this was a thread on the Odyssy Vs a Star Destroyer?
                            Not sure how fast the AMRAAM missiles are supposed to be, but a TIE Fighter's official top speed is approximately 100 meters per second according to the EU as long as no power is being diverted from its engines to weapons. As a comparison, a TIE Interceptor's top speed is 111 meters per second under the same conditions, and a TIE Defender's is 155.

Comment

well it is not exactly a fair fight ......the best of the stargate ships which being so far the upgraded oddesy against a average ship in the starwars universe if it was the best of starwars against it then the stardistroyer would win hands down just for the fact that there is many different versions of stardistroyers for different roles there is the ship to ship fighting there is the troop deployment and the other types and perform different roles
                              sigpic
                              Sig For Me!

Comment

If the SD sent out its Ties and Interseptors to overwealm the Odd then they can send out a fleet of Tie Bombers who can both take and give plenty of damage to the Odd. if they can drop some bombs in the rigth places.

However you got to remember the ships in Stargate and Star Wars are made toatally diffrenty.

Battles in the SW galaxy are battled mainly by the troopers wheather ground troops or figthers while in Stargate like startrek they are more capital ship based battles.

In SG space battles are normally done by howevers sheild on the capital ship can last the longest. Sometimes there can be little movement. with the two ships facing ecah other off. Its only recenmtly they have done more ST style battles of moveing around each other using beaming lasers.

In SW Ships like the SD or the trade fedoration blockage ships are made more as command centres. Aslso the SD was built to look impressive and like the Death Star only has these weaknesses becuse of the empires total control and confidence that no one especailly a singal figther can stop them. Bering built for fear. Also guns are only on the top and sides as they figth more like Pirate ships side by ship rather than the Sg face to face.
                                sigpic
                                Banner Made By Me for Me
                                The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X