Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think AF personel would know ship designations more so then laypeope, they are military, they overfly ships, write reports and do briefings, they know their ships.
    Nothing the AF flies equips it to manage something the size of, or with the endurance of the 303. If they choose to borrow from naval terms, fine. General Hommond has also referred to the 303's as Battlecruisers, remember when they were using a CVN to power the gate to contact the Asgard, and were using naquadah for the power cable. Hammond stated that a general had to give up a battle cruiser for that supply of naquadah.
    It is a Battle - it is heavily armoured, thick skinned, Cruiser - a well armed warship with the capability to carry out a variety of missions. A destroyer is more dedicated to one role. Battle ship would be kept for future larger more capable classes, Carrier was not used as you can hardly call a large ship with 6 A/C a carrier, unless that was it's primary weapon, the 303 has other primary weapons systems. I think the early term for such a warship was armoured cruiser, which evolved into the BC. In this case BC is not a cut down BB like the Hood, but a uparmoured multirole cruiser.

"The armored cruiser was a naval cruiser protected by armor on its sides as well as on the decks and gun positions.
    Battlecruisers (short for battleship-cruisers) were large warships of the early 20th century. They evolved from armored cruisers as new technology made it possible to build bigger ships." Wikipedia

Really the Prometheus has more in common with the Russian Kiev-class CVHG.

Comment

Personally, I like X-303 better than BC-303.

Owen Macri

Comment

Yeah, and everyone knows things with the letter "X" in them sell better anyway!

Seriously though, i prefer BC-303. sounds macho.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

I think the the total stupidy factor of people as they put their heads together increases exponentialy.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
          - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

I would like a program that is really easy to use except can create very detailed three dimensional images. It also has to be free (lol). But I don't know where to look, and they all seem overly complicated.

Owen Macri

Comment

Owen: You might want to check out Blender, its pretty powerfull and with a bit of patience to get past the initial learning curve. And yeah its free too.

Comment

Ok, thank you very much.

Owen Macri

Comment

Just to change the subject away from the Prometheus' correct designation debate, I`d like to add that the Prometheus nor the Daedalus are equipped with Asgard weapons. It is said by McKay in (SGA 202 - Intruder, I think) that the Asgard will not give us weapons for fear that we could turn them against them.

Both ships are only equipped with missiles and railguns (unless you count the Asgard Beams on the Daedalus as they can use them as a weapons platform)

For details on railguns, see http://www.power-labs.com/index.html
                  Prometheus = X-303/BC-303
                  Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev = BC-304/DSC-304

END OF ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hopefully we'll see proper standoff engagements instead of "cool broadsides".

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
                    - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

It is said several times, not only in "Intruder." It is mentioned in "The Seige III" as well.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by donnie_darko
                        Weapons ?)
                        Missile (?) - The X303 carries a number of missiles for offensive and defensive means. Since this ship was designed by the United States Air force, standard missiles and armaments are available for ship use. They would have to be augmented to be used in space, with different warheads and with anti-Goa'uld systems.

There would be long range missiles used in orbit to bombard planets or to hit targets at a long distance, short range missiles meant to be used against ships or ground forces. Depending on the force needed a standard warhead or Naquadria/Naquadah enhanced can be used. They can be equipped with shield frequency modulator to penetrate shields of ships. The X303 has six rear and four front missile tubes. This gives it excellent front and backfiring arcs. (611-Prometheus, 713-Grace)

Point Defense Weapons (?) - These weapons are primarily used as defensive means. The X303 carries Anti-Aircraft guns for close range defense and to target ground targets. It is unknown what type of weapon is used in this system could be a standard AA gun, a rail gun design or even energy based weapons. Tracers are frequently used to track weapons fire. Most are mounted on turrets to give it wide firing arcs and the ability to track targets. (722-The Lost City Part 2)

Energy Weapon (?) - The X303 is equipped with weapons based on Asgard and Goa'uld designs. They are most likely bolt type weapons of plasma or other charged particles.

Jamming Weapon (?) - A Goa'uld system jamming that can block the control signal used by most Goa'uld control devices. (715-Chimera)

#
                        Update:

Following the defeat of the Goa'uld, the problematic and nonfunctional energy weapon installation has been removed at the request of the Asgard as it was no longer needed to even the field against attacking Goa'uld ships*, and replaced by a large caliber railgun capable of use against ships and planetary targets (Beachhead). This system has also been installed on production Daedalus class vessels (Aurora) either in refit or during construction, with several cannons being fitted as standard. For the moment it appears these are fixed and non-traversible, requiring the ship to be facing directly at the target

Prometheus has also been fitted with several VLS launchers as are fitted ,albeit in larger numbers, as standard on Daedalus class vessels (Beachhead). Presumeably these are either to carry/launch new larger missiles that cannot be launched from the preexisting wing mounted launchers or are intended to allow rapid salvoes of large numbers of missiles to be launched in any direction, so as to saturate and overwhelm enemy defenses.

*note; this has been proposed by the folks at stargate-tech.net
                        Last edited by alaskannut; 25 September 2005, 07:37 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                        "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Well mabey the missiles launched in Beachhead (the ones that launch from the top) are space to surface missiles. where as the others are space to space missiles.

Also has the deadelus ever been called a BC 02 before because i sware ive heard it being called an 02

And did it say anywhere that weapons have been taken off the prometheus, mabey they never worked in the first place so thor just helped manufacture the Railgun.

And when the Goa'uld died the asgurd were sure not to make sure noone as evil as the Goa'uld takes over. so they decide no more shiny weapons 4 us

I really hope they keep the Promethes in the show and dont distroy it, i know they like blowing things up but not this ship please!!
                          Hola

Hello

Comment

The Daedalus has "DAEDALUS 02" marked on each side of its fighterbays, and im guessing that the ************* will have the same markings..

Comment

Originally posted by Milleniumlance
                              The Daedalus has "DAEDALUS 02" marked on each side of its fighterbays, and im guessing that the ************* will have the same markings..
                              that the what???TELL ME!!!
                              tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
                              yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
                              Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RA the sun god
                                that the what???TELL ME!!!

Spoiler:
                                The Odyssey and the Orion the 2 new Battlecruisers that premiere in the second half of the seasons 2 and 9
                                where the hell have you been RA???

Comment

Working...
                                X