Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drones do not go through shields! EVIDENCE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes it damaged the shield, maybe even completely depleted it but that's not the point
    the point is, a drone is designed to slip through shields like a wraith through walls (I mean the ghost, not the SA aliens -) yet this doesn't work against ancient shields because such shielding is too advanced even for drones
    (it's like the tollan phase-bomb, Narim said it was designed to phase through shielding yet the tollans didn't try it on Tanith's ship, they probably knew that those upgraded goauld shields would block their phase-shift tech. same goes for the tollan ion-cannon, the shots slipped right through hatak shields yet they failed against the upgraded hatak shields)

to take your analogy, applying it to the PJ scenario would be like saying that the sunrays pass through the atmosphere & reach us only when hitting it at a straight angle, and are completely blocked when hitting it at a wide angle (like the PJ shield deflected the drone supposedly because the angle was wide) - in which case only those living on the equator would get sunlight, and the rest of the planet would have permanent night !
    obviously that ain't the case since I myself don't live on the equator yet still get daytime ( ) so if the sun analogy were valid then the drone would have slipped right through the shield & hit the PJ regardless of angle. That didn't happen either, so the comparison doesn't hold

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs View Post
      Canada, Monday 20 Nov.
      Are you f'ing kidding me?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
        I was being ironic not snide, don't be paranoid.
        You were not being ironic... and that sentence made no sense.
        You can't be "ironic" in that sense.
        Unless, of course, you are an irony....

You were snide and or sarcastic.

Whether that is good or bad is not the point.

Fixed -)
        Should I report you for tampering with a quote?

yes it damaged the shield, maybe even completely depleted it but that's not the point
        the point is, a drone is designed to slip through shields like a wraith through walls (I mean the ghost, not the SA aliens -) yet this doesn't work against ancient shields because such shielding is too advanced even for drones
        (it's like the tollan phase-bomb, Narim said it was designed to phase through shielding yet the tollans didn't try it on Tanith's ship, they probably knew that those upgraded goauld shields would block their phase-shift tech. same goes for the tollan ion-cannon, the shots slipped right through hatak shields yet they failed against the upgraded hatak shields)

to take your analogy, applying it to the PJ scenario would be like saying that the sunrays pass through the atmosphere & reach us only when hitting it at a straight angle, and are completely blocked when hitting it at a wide angle (like the PJ shield deflected the drone supposedly because the angle was wide) - in which case only those living on the equator would get sunlight, and the rest of the planet would have permanent night !
        obviously that ain't the case since I myself don't live on the equator yet still get daytime ( ) so if the sun analogy were valid then the drone would have slipped right through the shield & hit the PJ regardless of angle. That didn't happen either, so the comparison doesn't hold
        I am thinking more on the line of a metior: It bounces off at an angle, but piercess when direct.

And by the way: I have a theory about how Drones work that would account for this, while allowing deflection like we saw.

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
          You were not being ironic... and that sentence made no sense.
          You can't be "ironic" in that sense.
          Unless, of course, you are an irony....
          or unless you didn't understand that I was being ironic

Should I report you for tampering with a quote?
          ?! damn, I could've sworn...

I didn't do it, it must be a forum bug ! don't worry though, I'll report it myself straight to the admins

I am thinking more on the line of a metior: It bounces off at an angle, but piercess when direct.
          it doesn't bounce off, it enters but burns out because it has more atmosphere to pierce through at a wide angle, thus far less likelihood of reaching the ground as a large chunk. to compare with the shield example, this would relate to shield strength only (= atmosphere thickness and/or density) - the meteor would still burn out even at a straight angle if the atmosphere were dense or thick enough

And by the way: I have a theory about how Drones work that would account for this, while allowing deflection like we saw.
          oww goody, another fancy theory - a good laugh is always welcome. fire away !

/innocuous non-sarcastic irony
          Last edited by SoulReaver; 03 December 2006, 09:42 PM.

Comment

or unless you didn't understand that I was being ironic

?! damn, I could've sworn...

I didn't do it, it must be a forum bug ! don't worry though, I'll report it myself straight to the admins

it doesn't bounce off, it enters but burns out because it has more atmosphere to pierce through at a wide angle, thus far less likelihood of reaching the ground as a large chunk. to compare with the shield example, this would relate to shield strength only (= atmosphere thickness) - the meteor would still burn out even at a straight angle if the atmosphere were thick enough
            Unless it was a very special meteor.

oww goody, another fancy theory - a good laugh is always welcome. fire away !

/innocuous non-sarcastic irony
            Hardy har har.

I believe Drones' energy causes other energy, and possibly even matter to warp and flow around it (why it can piere shields so easily, and how it ran so easily rip into a ship's hull)... and that it even conducts the shield energy around itself, becoming sort of a second focal point of the bubble (the ship being the main one), and continues through.
            Thus this allows them to pierce shields, like Goa'uld shields. Simple.

Far less complex than phase-shifting, or exploiting a weakness in every shield except Ancient ones.
            Less assumptions also.
            But alas it is just a theory.

However it would explain why the puddle jumper lost power and was damaged also:
            The angle caused the Drone to go onto the shield, be rebounded off, and it siffoned off a lot of shield energy as it left the shield (you see tons of energy spillage as the Drone bounces off). This caused the shield to fry and freeze, preventing shield/cloak conversion.

Comment

I believe Drones' energy causes other energy, and possibly even matter to warp and flow around it (why it can piere shields so easily, and how it ran so easily rip into a ship's hull)... and that it even conducts the shield energy around itself, becoming sort of a second focal point of the bubble (the ship being the main one), and continues through.
              Thus this allows them to pierce shields, like Goa'uld shields. Simple.

Far less complex than phase-shifting, or exploiting a weakness in every shield except Ancient ones.
              Less assumptions also.
              But alas it is just a theory.

However it would explain why the puddle jumper lost power and was damaged also:
              The angle caused the Drone to go onto the shield, be rebounded off, and it siffoned off a lot of shield energy as it left the shield (you see tons of energy spillage as the Drone bounces off). This caused the shield to fry and freeze, preventing shield/cloak conversion.
              well in the .gif screencap you can see something that looks like a "splash" (nice SFX btw) but whatever it is it certainly doesn't flow around the drone, it's a simple splash, so this would kinda invalidate the "energy-siphoning" theory, which btw also overlooks the fact that drones are meant to pass through shields without interaction
              notice that the splash looks a lot (in texture) like a gate kawoosh. and like with the kawoosh, the splash seems to "resorb" back into the shield, like water drops falling back to the water, in which case this doesn't even relate to an energy loss. what it does however is perfectly illustrate the drone "bouncing" off the shield, probably was intended as such.

and on the contrary it's more assumption than just saying that most shields have a flaw which the drones (and ori beams ?) can exploit, and that ancient shielding is just too advanced & thus perfect (or damn close to it)
              btw the latter would also concur with the color theory

obviously the PJ's shield was damaged, like I said that's irrelevant, any strong weapon even a conventional one would have done the same, this has always been so & this makes sense too (from a thermodynamic viewpoint)
              for example when the ori superbeam hit the Odyssey's oneil-class shield straight-on, it failed to pass through but still caused 50% damage to the shield ("shields down to 50% !")
              Last edited by SoulReaver; 03 December 2006, 10:25 PM.

Comment

btw what is it with Occam's Razor that bothers some ppl so much anyway ?
                just curious to know

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi View Post
                  Are you f'ing kidding me?
                  Nope

Comment

well in the .gif screencap you can see something that looks like a "splash" (nice SFX btw) but whatever it is it certainly doesn't flow around the drone, it's a simple splash, so this would kinda invalidate the "energy-siphoning" theory,
                    Yeah, it hits the shield, and the energy is ripped off... the Drone didn't successfully do it... as per my theory.

which btw also overlooks the fact that drones are meant to pass through shields without interaction
                    Which is your assumption, not a fact.
                    You assume there must not be an interaction for the Drone to have worked.
                    You assume it is designed to go through without interaction.
                    Odd thouhg, that Kull Warriors were able to go right through shields, with massive interaction, yet there was no resistence.
                    The energy was siffoned around the warrior, like how I describe the way I think the Drone's energy works.
                    I think in the case of the Goa'uld shield, it just didn't react.

notice that the splash looks a lot (in texture) like a gate kawoosh.
                    Not really... at least to me.

and like with the kawoosh, the splash seems to "resorb" back into the shield,
                    like water drops falling back to the water,
                    It seemed to disperse more to me... where was that .gif again...

in which case this doesn't even relate to an energy loss. what it does however is perfectly illustrate the drone "bouncing" off the shield, probably was intended as such.
                    Maybe...
                    But again, the Drone was supposed to not kill the Jumper, we have no proof that the Drone wouldn't penetrate the shield had the Drone been capable of damaging the Jumper if the shield was down to begin with.
                    Thus we won't know for certain until they have a scene where it happens, or a writer tells us that is how it works.
                    Don't forget that this episode has several other inconsistencies (with the Jumper no less):
                    Puddle Jumper pods' size, and Pods' means of deployment.
                    So we should not simply reject former information until it is made more clear.

and on the contrary it's more assumption than just saying that most shields have a flaw which the drones (and ori beams ?) can exploit, and that ancient shielding is just too advanced & thus perfect (or damn close to it)
                    Orii beams seem to just bang shields away.
                    As for the flaw:
                    We have never been told about shield flaws that can be exploited by weapons.
                    Goa'uld shields can be pierced by hyperspace travel: Drones don't do that.
                    And by energy beams from Ancient transporters: Drones don't transport.
                    Thats it.

btw the latter would also concur with the color theory.
                    A rather odd theory.

obviously the PJ's shield was damaged, like I said that's irrelevant, any strong weapon even a conventional one would have done the same, this has always been so & this makes sense too (from a thermodynamic viewpoint)
                    Agreed.

for example when the ori superbeam hit the Odyssey's oneil-class shield straight-on,
                    The shield is Asgard designed... never is it stated that it is the same as an Oniel Class' shield.

it failed to pass through but still caused 50% damage to the shield ("shields down to 50% !")
                    Yet, you have said the Beams exploit shield faults...

Comment

Yeah, it hits the shield, and the energy is ripped off... the Drone didn't successfully do it... as per my theory.
                      an extremely dubious & far-fetched assumption, inc. from the visual aspect

Which is your assumption, not a fact.
                      You assume there must not be an interaction for the Drone to have worked.
                      You assume it is designed to go through without interaction.
                      well yeah, because that's what we've always seen, um...every time the drones were successfully used on a shielded ship ?
                      (now here's another assumption : I'm assuming you've actually watched those eps -)

Odd thouhg, that Kull Warriors were able to go right through shields, with massive interaction, yet there was no resistence.
                      you said that a few pages ago...I asked which episode that was...?
                      even if that's true, we've never seen drones act this way. drones were like ghosts whereas the kull armor, if you're right, would resemble more the action of an ori beam on a shield ("punch through") - so that wouldn't prove anything along the lines of your theory

The energy was siffoned around the warrior, like how I describe the way I think the Drone's energy works.
                      yet again check the caps, nothing is siphoned around the drone so that alone would invalidate the theory

I think in the case of the Goa'uld shield, it just didn't react.
                      damn - those drones are capricious

seriously though, the drones do have AI but somehow I doubt they were given free will to let them choose what to ignore & who not to
                      (OK so that wasn't serious either)

But again, the Drone was supposed to not kill the Jumper

you mean the asurans launched 3 of the most powerful weapon in the ancients arsenal at the PJ, each capable of damaging a shielded PJ, just to toy with it ?

those naughty asurans

I suppose the same applies for every combat situation SA & SG have been since season 1 then - the goauld, replicators etc. all the bad guys...none of them never meant to kill the SA/SG team members, after all they're still alive right ?

lol

we have no proof that the Drone wouldn't penetrate the shield had the Drone been capable of damaging the Jumper if the shield was down to begin with.
                      rofl...actually the drone did damage the PJ in addition to depleting the shield

we know for certain since they have a scene where it happens
                      fixed

or a writer tells us that is how it works.
                      bah, even then I'm sure you'll still find some reason to refute the obvious

I mean, who knows eh - that writer could be an impostor . the original script stories might have been altered

Don't forget that this episode has several other inconsistencies (with the Jumper no less):
                      Puddle Jumper pods' size, and Pods' means of deployment.
                      k...nothing strange but if u say so
                      completely irrelevant to the issue at hand though, but heck let's talk about pods if you wish to

Orii beams seem to just bang shields away.
                      meaning ?

they pass through shields, except that they punch through them instead of slipping through

As for the flaw:
                      We have never been told about shield flaws that can be exploited by weapons.
                      again, I dunno about you but I tend to trust what's seen onscreen especially when shown more than once

shields are a barrier. meant to stop things. first & foremost material objects (right down to a mere pebble). drones are also material objects. yet they can slip through most shields as though there is no shield. obviously those shields have a flaw

Goa'uld shields can be pierced by hyperspace travel: Drones don't do that.
                      And by energy beams from Ancient transporters: Drones don't transport.
                      Thats it.
                      yeah and they don't block light or sound either. not sure what you're trying to prove, but shields aren't designed to do any of this anyway. they're meant to block incoming weapons energy - massive or massless - that's what we've seen countless times (not only in SG/Sa either)

A rather odd theory.
                      but consistent with all the visuals so far

The shield is Asgard designed... never is it stated that it is the same as an Oniel Class' shield.
                      the older shield (on the Prometheus) was asgard designed. probably the same as the older asgard shields (Belistner-class ?)

again, visuals man. I trust what I see. watch camelot again then compare the shields on the Odyssey & Korolev with those on the ONeil (when impacted by weapons) - they look exactly the same

now of course you could claim that the asgard did this for mere esthetics sake (and I wouldn't be able to disprove it) but somehow I doubt that -)

Yet, you have said the Beams exploit shield faults...
                      yep, I said they're designed to
                      like the tollan ion cannon, designed to pass through shields
                      or the tollan phaseshift tech, designed to phase through matter & shields
                      both worked
                      yet both failed against the upgraded hataks (OK the 2nd weapon wasn't tested on Tanith's ship but the tollans would have given it a try if it so much as had a chance to work, I mean hey the fate of their world was at stake)
                      Last edited by SoulReaver; 04 December 2006, 08:44 PM.

Comment

you mean the asurans launched 3 of the most powerful weapon in the ancients arsenal at the PJ, each capable of damaging a shielded PJ, just to toy with it ?

those naughty asurans

I suppose the same applies for every combat situation SA & SG have been since season 1 then - the goauld, replicators etc. all the bad guys...none of them never meant to kill the SA/SG team members, after all they're still alive right ?
                        Thats exactly the case.
                        As I was reffering to the fact that it is a science fiction show written by writters, and portrayed by CGI artists, actors, and designers...

The Drones were not meant to destroy the jumper.
                        The CGI artists went with that, and they also fiddled with other continuity and visual issues, like the thrust pods.

I bassically was making a case that the visual evidence alone from this episode is not enough to make a conclusion about Drones.
                        We need more.

an extremely dubious & far-fetched assumption, inc. from the visual aspect
                        Agreed.
                        And it wasn't an assumption, but a conclusion based on the theory.
                        Or hypothesis would probably be better wording.
                        It isn't fact. Neither is how you think Drones work.

well yeah, because that's what we've always seen, um...every time the drones were successfully used on a shielded ship ?
                        (now here's another assumption : I'm assuming you've actually watched those eps -)

you said that a few pages ago...I asked which episode that was...?
                        even if that's true, we've never seen drones act this way. drones were like ghosts whereas the kull armor, if you're right, would resemble more the action of an ori beam on a shield ("punch through") - so that wouldn't prove anything along the lines of your theory
                        I never said it proved anything. I was comparing my theory to the Kull armour's affect.
                        And by the way, Kull armour conducted energy around it, preventing damage, and causing shield energy to apparently be siffoned away from where the armour touches.
                        So as to open a hole by relocating the energy wall's field.
                        This would assuredly damage the shield's energy level.
                        The affects on the generator if this occured in places that were not grounded might cause the generator/ship to be damaged also.

And the Kull armour is far more like the Drones and has nothing to do with the Orii beams.
                        By punch through, I mean: Deplete by sheer force of power.
                        Like how Apophis' energy cannons on his mother ship just shot right through Her'uer's shielded Hat'tak... Oh wait... odd. Heru'er's hat'tak was shielded... but the weapon caused no shield reaction when it hit the Hat'tak... neither did the Tollan's cannons... hmmm, this is interesting. Other weapons, including Goa'uld weapons, hit shielded Hat'taks, without producing a reaction... yet similar weapons of the same type hit Hat'tak shields... yet caused a reaction. Oh, wait, there was no reaction when Anubis' ship destroyed the shielded Hat'taks around his ship... how amazing!
                        Apparently, weapons that are powerful enough, simply ignore Hat'tak shields... yet Drones don't excert that kind of energy... how odd... they must get by the shields without forming a reaction some other way... with energy of course...
                        I wonder who's theory now looks more convincing?
                        Neither yours nor mine I would say.
                        Hmmm... think we need more visual evidence of Drone/shield reaction to determine just how Drones act with shields besides those on Hat'taks that seem to be just as strangely capricious as the Drones?
                        Maybe it is the shields that are capricious... not the Drones.
                        And on all other shields they cause reactions... like a Kull warrior does to a shield it is effortlessly passing through... hmmm.
                        Still, I submit, we need more visual evidence against non-Hat'tak shields.

yet again check the caps, nothing is siphoned around the drone so that alone would invalidate the theory
                        You still don't get the mental picture I have... I am saying that if they worked according to my theory, which I do not assert they actuallydo, only that they might possibly, the Drone hit the shield at such a strange angle, that its energy pulled the shield energy away from the shield (draining some of the shield, and frying the generator[it couldn't be changed into a cloak unless repaired]) but since it was moving "away" from the shield... the energy never was trully siffoned off, but sucked away.
                        Like a vacume pulling at something, but being to far to suck it to it (analogy, not description).

And guess what, I probably am wrong.
                        And you may indeed be right.
                        But I assert we need more examples then one from an episode with several odd CGI goofs.

damn - those drones are capricious
                        Nah, the only inconsistencies we have seen were in the shields they were used against, not the Drones themselves.
                        Goa'uld Hat'tak/ship grade shields, tricky fellas aint they?

seriously though, the drones do have AI but somehow I doubt they were given free will to let them choose what to ignore & who not to
                        (OK so that wasn't serious either)
                        Not what I think.
                        And they have very limited AI.

those naughty asurans

Another point:

rofl...actually the drone did damage the PJ in addition to depleting the shield
                        Wrong. They never said it depleted the shield... only damaged it.
                        And feedback (of some kind) apparently fried the generator into not being adjustable.

I agree, we need more evidence! An-Alteran, I am wrong.
                        Actually fixed.

bah, even then I'm sure you'll still find some reason to refute the obvious
                        Nope. If they show clearly or explain that Drones are deflected by Ancient shields. Or something to the affect that Drones don't penetrate them (through direct hitting of a Drone, where the Drone would hit the target if unshielded, or in spoken dialogue), and that this was not a single strange occurence, then I will agree entirely.

I was a very staunch opponent of the Daedalus=304 talk before the Siege part II, but the second they said "304" on the show, I agreed with everyone I was opposed to before.

k...nothing strange but if u say so
                        completely irrelevant to the issue at hand though, but heck let's talk about pods if you wish to
                        I was pointing out the CGI artist goofed the way the thrust pods on the Jumpers look, how large they are, and how they extend and retract.
                        The pods with the biger engines in them.

meaning ?

they pass through shields, except that they punch through them instead of slipping through
                        Please let me slap you.
                        They deplete shields. They pound them down, like any energy cannon does to a shield.
                        The only evidence that they pierce through them the way you think, is the fact that every other weapon where a Hat'tak hull was one-shot killed, the shield never appeared.
                        So the Orii cannons might pierce the shield like you say.
                        But so far, from on screen evidence, they just rip through the shield and destroy the Hat'tak before the shield bubble even has time to collapse.
                        I have a theory how this works also if you want to hear. IE: I agree with you, but in a roundabout way.
                        (the theory comes from part of a fandom story I am working on)

again, I dunno about you but I tend to trust what's seen onscreen especially when shown more than once

shields are a barrier. meant to stop things. first & foremost material objects (right down to a mere pebble). drones are also material objects. yet they can slip through most shields as though there is no shield. obviously those shields have a flaw
                        Kull warriors did the same to other shields... and those shields had no flaw. The warriors armour just siffoned the energy itself away. The shield itself was not to blame.

And Hat'tak/large ship Goa'uld shields have a habit of not appearing when fired at from a powerful or advance weapon system.

Aphophis' supper Goa'uld cannons went through Hat'tak shields like they were not there.
                        Same with Anubis' weapon( those might have caused a shield reaction, I do not entirely remember the scene well enough).
                        And the Tollan's weapon before the Hat'tak's were upgraded.
                        And then with the Drones after upgrade.

yeah and they don't block light or sound either. not sure what you're trying to prove, but shields aren't designed to do any of this anyway. they're meant to block incoming weapons energy - massive or massless - that's what we've seen countless times (not only in SG/Sa either)
                        How does light and sound get through the shield then?

the older shield (on the Prometheus) was asgard designed. probably the same as the older asgard shields (Belistner-class ?)
                        But a different color.

again, visuals man. I trust what I see. watch camelot again then compare the shields on the Odyssey & Korolev with those on the ONeil (when impacted by weapons) - they look exactly the same
                        True.
                        That doesn't meen anything.
                        The shields turn white when hit with a ZPM powering it.

now of course you could claim that the asgard did this for mere esthetics sake (and I wouldn't be able to disprove it) but somehow I doubt that -)
                        Similar technology, similar design.

yep, I said they're designed to
                        like the tollan ion cannon, designed to pass through shields
                        or the tollan phaseshift tech, designed to phase through matter & shields
                        both worked
                        yet both failed against the upgraded hataks (OK the 2nd weapon wasn't tested on Tanith's ship but the tollans would have given it a try if it so much as had a chance to work, I mean hey the fate of their world was at stake)
                        Aphophis' weapons waent through normal Hat'tak shields like the Tollan weapons, yet they were just more powerful versions of Hat'tak weaponry.
                        Same with Anubis' weapon on his ship (I believe... I am reffering to the electric looking one).
                        And Kull warriors just walk through the shields, their armour conducting the energy around the armour and somewhere else, like it does with weapons energy... oh wait, but that armour causes a reaction... it must be blocked... oh wait... it isn't blocked... what could that mean?
                        Last edited by An-Alteran; 04 December 2006, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Thats exactly the case.
                          As I was reffering to the fact that it is a science fiction show written by writters, and portrayed by CGI artists, actors, and designers...

The Drones were not meant to destroy the jumper.
                          The CGI artists went with that, and they also fiddled with other continuity and visual issues, like the thrust pods.
                          oh OK - then basically nothing can be trusted then
                          Maybe the bad guys' intentions were never to destroy earth or the humans

Hey come to think of it maybe the bad guys never intended to be bad

Rofl

You might as well stop watching TV series then – what your reasoning amounts to is that basically there is no storyline

I bassically was making a case that the visual evidence alone from this episode is not enough to make a conclusion about Drones.
                          We need more.
                          correction – you need more -)

Agreed.
                          And it wasn't an assumption, but a conclusion based on the theory.
                          Or hypothesis would probably be better wording.
                          It isn't fact. Neither is how you think Drones work.
                          might as well it's a baseless conclusion then -)[/quote]no but I trust what the writers show us. oh wait – your conjectures supersede even that. bummer…

I never said it proved anything. I was comparing my theory to the Kull armour's affect.
                          And by the way, Kull armour conducted energy around it, preventing damage, and causing shield energy to apparently be siffoned away from where the armour touches.
                          So as to open a hole by relocating the energy wall's field.
                          This would assuredly damage the shield's energy level.
                          The affects on the generator if this occured in places that were not grounded might cause the generator/ship to be damaged also.
                          yeah OK that's how kull armor works then. of course this in no way relates to how the drones work, as we've seen in the caps & as you yourself seem to admit, so let's get back on topic

And the Kull armour is far more like the Drones and has nothing to do with the Orii beams.
                          bis repetita - kull punches through shielding (like the ori beam), drones are designed not to. and drones don't siphon energy around them, I figured you'd accepted that apparently not; ah heck, let's forget the visuals eh ?

By punch through, I mean: Deplete by sheer force of power.
                          nope, the kulls walk through the shield, possibly depleting it but not completely, so they punch through. more on that later
                          Aphophis' supper Goa'uld cannons went through Hat'tak shields like they were not there.
                          Same with Anubis' weapon( those might have caused a shield reaction, I do not entirely remember the scene well enough).
                          And the Tollan's weapon before the Hat'tak's were upgraded.
                          And then with the Drones after upgrade.

[repeated]

Like how Apophis' energy cannons on his mother ship just shot right through Her'uer's shielded Hat'tak... Oh wait... odd. Heru'er's hat'tak was shielded... but the weapon caused no shield reaction when it hit the Hat'tak... neither did the Tollan's cannons... hmmm, this is interesting. Other weapons, including Goa'uld weapons, hit shielded Hat'taks, without producing a reaction... yet similar weapons of the same type hit Hat'tak shields... yet caused a reaction. Oh, wait, there was no reaction when Anubis' ship destroyed the shielded Hat'taks around his ship... how amazing!
                          Apparently, weapons that are powerful enough, simply ignore Hat'tak shields... yet Drones don't excert that kind of energy... how odd... they must get by the shields without forming a reaction some other way... with energy of course...
                          I wonder who's theory now looks more convincing?
                          yours is not a theory, you're pointing out perceived incoherences within the show. what you're forgetting is we've seen no such incoherence when it came to the drones – or even the other weapons, in fact:
                          obviously Apophis' guns were different, apparently designed to slip through shields unlike standard goauld armament (Apophis had greater tech than his fellow comrades, he also knew how to design an orbital defense platform whose guns could slip through shields, construct a radically new warship design that would pwn the other system lords etc) Same goes for Anubis' gun (made with the help of ancient knowledge ?) Nothing strange here so far. That some weapons slip through hatak shields has nothing to do with weapon's power, a single ori beam shot can take out a hatak yet it doesn't ignore its shields, so much for this new theory. Next !

Neither yours nor mine I would say.
                          Hmmm... think we need more visual evidence of Drone/shield reaction to determine just how Drones act with shields besides those on Hat'taks that seem to be just as strangely capricious as the Drones?
                          Maybe it is the shields that are capricious... not the Drones.
                          as I just said, hatak shields are not capricious. different weapons have different effect on those shields depending on the weapon's degree of sophistication. Also remember there are 2 types of hatak shields courtesy of Anubis, many (not all) of those we see after his downfall are the new upgraded goauld shields for the power vacuum he left (free jaffa, lucian alliance, other system lords taking over the remains of anubis's forces)

[b]And on all other shields they cause reactions… like a Kull warrior does to a shield it is effortlessly passing through... hmmm.
                          no only on the ancient shields (yeah "all" others = 1 lol)
                          and they're deflected, they don't pass through unlike the kulls.

Still, I submit, I need more visual evidence against non-Hat'tak shields.
                          hehe…

I wouldn't mind more such scenes though, if only for the SFX

You still don't get the mental picture I have... I am saying that if they worked according to my theory, which I do not assert they actuallydo, only that they might possibly, the Drone hit the shield at such a strange angle, that its energy pulled the shield energy away from the shield (draining some of the shield, and frying the generator[it couldn't be changed into a cloak unless repaired]) but since it was moving "away" from the shield... the energy never was trully siffoned off, but sucked away.
                          sucked away by what ? not by the drone, so this makes no sense, if something is designed to siphon energy then it will do so regardless of approach - unless of course you ignore the simplest & most glaringly obvious intent we can ascribe to the writers & launch into the wildest & most improbable & incoherent speculations, might as well add a new word to the dictionary then, as far-fetched may be too mild lol.
                          yes I concede, anything is possible, while we're at it perhaps the drones also have free will, the drone felt bad about destroying the PJ so it decided not to & to take a different look at things and, you know, a different "angle of approach" (like the "strange angle" you mention, yes we can also theorize the drones like word games) . let's also suppose it is meant to siphon energy (though we've never seen it do so but heck) but in the presen case it didn't like the taste so it threw it away instead. I mean hey those are ancient drones, guess they're refined & very fussy about what they eat -)

it's your choice of course, though I am curious as to the obscure reasons underlying it but whatever. Like I said I'll go with the obvious

Like a vacume pulling at something, but being to far to suck it to it (analogy, not description).
                          actually it was the Holy Ghost

Nah, the only inconsistencies we have seen were in the shields they were used against, not the Drones themselves.
                          Goa'uld Hat'tak/ship grade shields, tricky fellas aint they?
                          nope, different weapons, olus 2 different types of hatak shields = greater variety of combos. cool eh ? might have made for very dull space battles had it not been so

Wrong. They never said it depleted the shield... only damaged it.
                          And feedback (of some kind) apparently fried the generator into not being adjustable.
                          yeah I meant damaged. I pointed out a few posts erarlier the damage is perfectly normal especially on small ships with weak shields, some of the energy ios always transmitted to the ship as long as the weapon is strong enough

Actually fixed.
                          Misquote concept is mine. Don't plagiarize
                          Last edited by SoulReaver; 05 December 2006, 01:28 AM.

Comment

[cont'd]
                            Nope. If they show clearly or explain that Drones are deflected by Ancient shields. Or something to the affect that Drones don't penetrate them (through direct hitting of a Drone, where the Drone would hit the target if unshielded, or in spoken dialogue), and that this was not a single strange occurence, then I will agree entirely.
                            I agree I'd like to see that. Especially on an Ori ship (else they'll say "Ori not ancient ! blah"). But the evidence so far is more than adequate, and several who used to claim the drones would not only pwn the ori shields but actually slip through them unhindered have seen the light (that's the shield lighting up when the drone bounced off it -) and gone over to our side

I was pointing out the CGI artist goofed the way the thrust pods on the Jumpers look, how large they are, and how they extend and retract.
                            The pods with the biger engines in them.
                            screen caps? I don’t recall any such inconsistencies, but it's possible

Please let me slap you.
                            They deplete shields. They pound them down, like any energy cannon does to a shield.
                            The only evidence that they pierce through them the way you think, is the fact that every other weapon where a Hat'tak hull was one-shot killed, the shield never appeared.
                            So the Orii cannons might pierce the shield like you say.
                            But so far, from on screen evidence, they just rip through the shield and destroy the Hat'tak before the shield bubble even has time to collapse.
                            "slap eh"? wait, I'll counter with a 10x Augmented Mike Tyson upper cut. Don't bother bracing for impact, this one's unblockable -)

The ori beam does not deplete shields, they drain them but that's about it. The hatak example alone: if the hatak is destroyed then there ain't anything left to power the shield right? and in every engagement we've seen - SG/SA or other - where shields were depleted (the latest being "company of thieves", which just so happens is a fight between 2 hataks) the shields disappeared as soon as they were depleted, the weapons fire hit the hull immediately after) which means 0 power = no shield, instant collapse. thus weapons power is irrelevant, since the ship (therefore the power source) is obliterated and the shields along with it, instantly
                            besides your theory of such a massive amount of energy sustained over such a long duration (> seconds) by…nothing would defy the principle of conservation of energy…

but here's the coup de grace:
                            remember "Ethon" ? the ori beam punched through the older asgard shield & damaged the Prometheus (without destroying it) = well the shield was still up & powered by the ship. Therefore it was not depleted, only partially drained, the ori weapon is in effect a non-conventional weapon designed to pass through shield (defeat it without depleting it), the difference with the drones is that it punches through instead of slipping through
                            here's another sequence:

and for the death blow: here's part of the transcript after the Prometheus was hit by the beam

WOMACK: Forward shields at 40%.
                            PENDERGAST: Divert all shield power to forward generators.

(the captain knew the shields were useless so he ordered them switched off to save power)

this to say the shields were still up after the beam cut through

11:23 AM > An-Alteran was fatally pwned by SoulRe@ver

I have a theory how this works also if you want to hear. IE: I agree with you, but in a roundabout way.
                            (the theory comes from part of a fandom story I am working on)
                            sure

of course just so we're clear I'll remind you this is fanfic , so while it is your most absolute right to make up your own alternate SGverse with its own fancy rules, this remains non-cannon & basically offtopic, and moreover doesn't apply to the actual SG storyline (as I just proved in the previous paragraph)

that being said, entertain us !

Kull warriors did the same to other shields... and those shields had no flaw. The warriors armour just siffoned the energy itself away. The shield itself was not to blame.
                            well obviously it did have a flaw since the kull could force its way through it (just like the ori beam vs hatak shield, yet the beam failed on the ONeil shield => hatak shields have a flaw, shield power alone is not a factor)

And Hat'tak/large ship Goa'uld shields have a habit of not appearing when fired at from a powerful or advance weapon system.
                            u said that a few lines up, wrong again, case in point the ori superbeam

How does light and sound get through the shield then?
                            I explained this on another topic – simple: light is no threat & neither is sound as the energies are too low to cause damage. That's why the shields lets light through, whereas a several megawatts laser beam (which basically is the same as light, only vastly greater amplitude) would be blocked. Such a principle (blocking strong signal, not affecting weak ones) is not uncommon actually, heck even our own tech has similar principles – induction for example : voltage created is proportional to the variation of magnetic flux. This principle is applied to some types of brakes on heavy vehicles (like 40 ton trucks) where the effect of the brake is only significant at high speeds. It becomes negligible at low speeds. Basically reaction is proportionate to action, reactive force is proportionate to incoming force. the shields react to a strong incoming signal, but let most if not all pass through if the incoming signal is weak.

True.
                            That doesn't meen anything.
                            The shields turn white when hit with a ZPM powering it.
                            but they were exactly the same color at the battle of "Camelot". oh well then. another coincidence I guess. coquettish, those asgards eh?

Similar technology, similar design.
                            acceptable

though IMO the shielding was the same (but the power source on the tauri ships was no doubt inferior to that on the ONeil)

Aphophis' weapons waent through normal Hat'tak shields like the Tollan weapons, yet they were just more powerful versions of Hat'tak weaponry.
                            more speculation. and very unlikely. More like those were different guns. A goauld lord's worse enemy is another goauld lord, and as pointed out Apophis had a habit of developing new tech ahead of his peers. The new ship from "Upgrades" was one such example

And Kull warriors just walk through the shields, their armour conducting the energy around the armour and somewhere else, like it does with weapons energy... oh wait, but that armour causes a reaction... it must be blocked... oh wait... it isn't blocked... what could that mean?
                            just like the ori beams, passes through but reacts (on both hatak & older asgard shields) – yet fails against the upgraded asgard shields

also the PJ shields didn't just react, it deflected the drone
                            but heck why bother oneself with the visuals when imagination can be much more convenient ( )
                            Last edited by SoulReaver; 05 December 2006, 10:37 AM.

Comment

And they have very limited AI.
                              Yeah right they had enuf AI to know where to hit a ha'tak on critical spot and cause a chain reaction that blew up the whole ****ing ship.

Comment

LOL i like this:
                                We need more.

we need more visual evidence of Drone/shield reaction

we need more visual evidence

we need more examples
                                ok heres what: you can ignore what they show on screen all you want but at least use some logic: you really think the folk who make the weapon aint gonna make sure their shield protect against their own weapon? Or maybe you think they dont know how their own freakin weapon works?
                                LOGIC man

Comment

Working...
                                X