No announcement yet.

Why is there no tanks in SG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before a tank, a vehicle capable to shoot down enemy crafts and infantry would be better, since it's the traditionnal targets that SG teams have to deal with.

So some ground-air missiles, a railgun DCA and two anti-infantry guns would be better than a big tank with one freaking big cannon that would be pointless in most occasions.

That defender unit would have been useful in many cases. There would have not been so many bloody casualties in Heroes if those vehicles could have been sent through the stargate.

Safe for Lost City. This vehicle would have provided cover for the SG team exploring the ruins and guarding the stargate.

Theorically, they could have also been deployed around the outpost, adding more defense to the fighters.

In Children of the Gods in fact, covering the backs of SG-1 and the civilians, though I can't blame the SGC for not having such unts so early.

Would have been useful in The Enemy Within as well, but again, it was so early in SG that I can excuse this.

Singularity would be another good example.

Let's jump to freshier seasons.

Full Circle would have been a perfect occasion.

Eventually Orpheus when the Goa'uld defenses were porous.

Death Knell. Ok, the gate was lying on its side, but a hovertank would have just been moving through, and once it would be on the other side, it would have simply turned 90°. This might have helped against the Kull warriors.

New Order. To defend Orilla, it would have been easier.

It's Good to be King.

Reckoning Part 2. Would have been of help to repel the replicators with much more ease.

Trouble is that the actual stargate on Earth is located in a base that only authorizes personnel transport.

That is why I figure that in a very close future, the stargate will be moved to another base, one which allow both troops and vehicles to use the stargate.

Technically, Earth could even build hovertanks, considering the ridiculous low space the exotic drives take... and which can even be mounted on missiles!
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I think ground vehicles like HMMWVs (Humveys) would be a great asset in battle. Imagine being able to run away quickly to the gate. Not to mention that handy 50 cal machinegun with about 1000 rounds. Not to mention that HMMWVs can be equipped with TOW missiles...

Such a vehicle would be good against both ground troops and Darts. Apparently Death Gliders are stronger than Darts, since Darts can be taken down by small arms fire (M249s SAWs, P-90s, and etc.). Adding a TOW missile would take down those Death Gliders, as well as help to bombard an enemy location, or take out large groups of Jaffa/Wraith/Ori Warriors.

Another thing with the HMMWVs is that they can be modified to whatever role is needed. You can turn in them into ambulances, troop carriers, cargo/equipment transports, anti-air-missile platforms (Avenger), and etc.

Last edited by Peoples_General; 28 September 2006, 04:02 PM.
      http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
      http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

I agree, Humvees would be great. A M1a3 would be useless. Different vehicles for different missions. A quick scout mission: Dirt Bike and "dune buggy"w/203or7.62 weapon package. Long-time mission (exploration) 3 Humvees (1 command (science package), 2 attack/defend w/various weapons packages-TOW, 7.62, 20mm, etc)

P.S. The dirt-bike doesn't have weapons.
        sigpic

Comment

I would love to see this one:

Some Jaffa patrol working for Baal, walking through the woods.

They encounter SG-1 and pin them down, calling for backup. More Jaffa patrols show up.

SG-1 calls for backup (they have a team guarding the gate)!

A few minutes later a tank comes out of the woods and starts blowing up Jaffa! Of course, they'll shoot back, but they're out-gunned. And of course, the tank is being supported by no less than two ground teams.

Sadly, were this to happen, the baddies would respond in kind and steal the idea, likely producing a tank that has shields!

Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by ascendedancient42
            I would love to see this one:

Some Jaffa patrol working for Baal, walking through the woods.

They encounter SG-1 and pin them down, calling for backup. More Jaffa patrols show up.

SG-1 calls for backup (they have a team guarding the gate)!

A few minutes later a tank comes out of the woods and starts blowing up Jaffa! Of course, they'll shoot back, but they're out-gunned. And of course, the tank is being supported by no less than two ground teams.
            And two squadrons of F-302's.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

Sadly, were this to happen, the baddies would respond in kind and steal the idea, likely producing a tank that has shields! posted by acendedancient42

Then we make a tank with shields (we have ships w/shields) although I think the Humvee idea by several posters is more feasable, but that is not to say that the humvee's go further out from the gate while a tank or two is on "standby" at the gate..
              sigpic

Comment

Full on main battletanks probably wouldn't be necessary. Modern tanks generally concern themselves with attacking other modern tanks and fortifications, nothing the SG enemies really have a lot of.

A mix of Bradleys and Humvees on the other hand would be tremendously useful. They'd protect the Sg teams riding inside them from most of what the badguys have and they'd absolutely massacre those stupid charging hordes teams always seem to encounter.

Comment

I say find the middle ground STRYKERS!!!!!!
                  http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d/iav-pics.htm

Comment

Well, if Homeworld Security has the budget to build a 4 spacecraft and dozens of fighters that will never serve any role on earth then they have the budget to built a mission-specific armored vehicle that will never have any use on earth.

The primary advantage in using armored vehciles is a drastic reduction in teh number of casualties suffered by the SGC. All things considered, they have been taking casualties far too quickly. It isn't like they can just step up their recruitment efforts. There are a limited number of individuals who qualify for such a high security clearence and even fewer who have a combat MOS. I'm surprised that they aren't being killed by personel shortages after their loses to the Ori.

I wouldn't bother with the Bradley fighting vehicle. It is generally a tank-killer. It isn't too useful when your enemies don't use tanks. The Stryker is nice but it is a little meh for the SGCs purposes. Something that can mount far more guns at once and which has superior alien derived sensors so no one ever has to poke a head out would be preferable. Add on a fridge, a microwave oven, some beds, and a flushing toilet and you pretty much have a heavily armed and armored RV, exactly what you want on dangerous offworld expeditions. Such an RV could serve as a mobile command bunker as well as armored calvary and could potentially be retrofitted to serve as mobile science labs or armored cargo trucks. BAsicly, like Puddle Jumpers with more wheels and less suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Milleniumlance
                      I say find the middle ground STRYKERS!!!!!!
                      http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d/iav-pics.htm
                      I watched a show about those vehicles and how they're being utilized in Iraq. Suffice to say: Strykers are badass.

a time to mourn

Comment

if the armor is designed to asorb energy blasts why not put them on our ships. make a ship like a jumper that is made of that armor, because why would you take the low ground when you can take the high ground in a battle. a cliff can stop a tank but a ship would fly over it. on homeworld missions maybe (its gonna take alot for the military to let us use a tank) but i think its more possible to see a humvee.

the real reason why we havent seen any vehical other than a malp off world is because they dont fit through the doors and corridors in the SGC
                        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I think a humvee/stryka type vehicle would be excellent, especially if they had a rotary staff weapon on the top, 8 staffs attached together to fire in a chaingun style. that would be awsome.

There have been many times when tanks could have been used, i mean, even the russsans built a submarine for "watergate". I am just suprised the writers didnt add them.

Comment

The humvee is a good option.

The Stryker is a also a good option.

I think we all agree that some anti tank heavy unit is unnecessary. Now, it doesn't mean that missiles about to shoot down tanks aren't necessary. Goa'uld, like Ori, come with vehicles that requires tough guided ordinance to be destroyed.

That's why I believe we should have vehicle that must have the following weapons:

- TOW missile launcher turret or railgun turret.
                            - 1 anti-infantry heavy gun.

The Stryker is neat because like a Bradley, you can transport troops inside an armoured vehicle, that is fast enough to evade enemy formations, bring reinforcements and else.

Unfortunately, I can't see what type of vehicle could combine both a railgun and even one or two TOW missiles.

Technically, if Earth could retro engineer one of those probes sent by Anubis, or a karakesh (ribbon device), we could start thinking about mounting shields on light vehicles.
                            As I said, we can already mount inertial dampeners on missiles or on ships of the size of a F-302.

The vehicle would have to be fairly long, and designed to fit in a stargate.

Maybe we can't send them from the SGC, but we could send them from an alpha base specifically designed to suit such needs. After all, there already are trucks on alpha base, already transported by our spacecarriers. So it's perfectly reasonable to have an alpha base serve as a main hangar.

Shielded and armored hovertank all the way I say, with eventually four or six deployable wheels if necessary. It's about damn time we get those rolling out of the factories.
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

the problem is that if u want a quick getaway to the gate with other marines running through it first then you driving ur humvee or whatever you run over the marines on the other side
                              sigpic

Comment

Tanks are slow and big almost stationary targets. When was the last time you were able to surprise attack anyone using tanks?

And I doubt any enemy great enough to be as a formidable a threat to require tanks would be huddled together in a small corner just waiting for us to blow them up with one single shot.

Guerilla warfare, airstrikes, whatever. The tanks would be toast.

Comment

Working...
                                X