Why is there no tanks in SG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
    Full on main battletanks probably wouldn't be necessary. Modern tanks generally concern themselves with attacking other modern tanks and fortifications, nothing the SG enemies really have a lot of.
    Actually, the primary role of tanks nowadays is anti-fortification and close-in infantry support, with many new models built with urban warfare in mind. The most shining example of that are the Israeli Merkava tanks, built to double as APCs. Tank-to-tank combat has been largely rendered obsolete by the ATGMs and air force. A kinetic cannon is just about the least effective way of engaging an enemy tank right now.

On the other hand, if shields can be installed on a vehicle, it would render a classic MBT obsolete, and one could get the same about of protection from an open-top sports car.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

What I'm thinking about would be a short-range tactical fighter (like F-18A or stuff like that). The weaknesof Goa-uld Death Gliders and Wraith Darts are that thay have no fire and forget launching system. Also, They seem pretty slow, only travelling at 300 or 400 MPH. Their form of attack is a direct energy weapon. A single hit has medium damage, but it's almost impossible to get a hit, especially, in a combat situation. Their shots also seem to move much slower than missles or bullets. They also can dissapate into nothing after a while. The earth missles ( maybe 1-foot to 1.4 feet), however, can be held in disposable 3-missle pods, 4 on each wing.

Comment

Tanks move much too slow( 50- 90 MPH). A well-trained pilot of drone cloud is still the best way to go. Remember, Stargate is about 'teams' (4-5 people) who go and do cool stuff. A tank would be too slow for their hit n' run raids.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
          S'ry, but makeup takes the ticket.
          Yes, more wigs for Teyla! She musn't be permitted to look good!

Originally posted by Womble View Post
          Actually, the primary role of tanks nowadays is anti-fortification and close-in infantry support, with many new models built with urban warfare in mind. The most shining example of that are the Israeli Merkava tanks, built to double as APCs. Tank-to-tank combat has been largely rendered obsolete by the ATGMs and air force. A kinetic cannon is just about the least effective way of engaging an enemy tank right now.
          Yes and no I'd say. It's true now that tanks are being used mostly in the role you described, because there are really no enemy tanks to engage with them, but most of the modern generation in use now was designed to combat other tanks. The Merkava is an exception, designed more for urban wafare.

You wouldn't really need anything that heavy to go against typical gateverse enemies though.

On the other hand, if shields can be installed on a vehicle, it would render a classic MBT obsolete, and one could get the same about of protection from an open-top sports car.
          It would depend on a lot of things, how large a power source the shields would need and how effective they would be on that scale compared to armour. I'd be interested to see how shields would function against things like mines as well. You can't put them under the entire vehicle because then your wheels/tracks won't be in contact with the ground anymore. Hovertank maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
            Before a tank, a vehicle capable to shoot down enemy crafts and infantry would be better, since it's the traditionnal targets that SG teams have to deal with.

So some ground-air missiles, a railgun DCA and two anti-infantry guns would be better than a big tank with one freaking big cannon that would be pointless in most occasions.

That defender unit would have been useful in many cases. There would have not been so many bloody casualties in Heroes if those vehicles could have been sent through the stargate.

Safe for Lost City. This vehicle would have provided cover for the SG team exploring the ruins and guarding the stargate.

Theorically, they could have also been deployed around the outpost, adding more defense to the fighters.

In Children of the Gods in fact, covering the backs of SG-1 and the civilians, though I can't blame the SGC for not having such unts so early.

Would have been useful in The Enemy Within as well, but again, it was so early in SG that I can excuse this.

Singularity would be another good example.

Let's jump to freshier seasons.

Full Circle would have been a perfect occasion.

Eventually Orpheus when the Goa'uld defenses were porous.

Death Knell. Ok, the gate was lying on its side, but a hovertank would have just been moving through, and once it would be on the other side, it would have simply turned 90°. This might have helped against the Kull warriors.

New Order. To defend Orilla, it would have been easier.

It's Good to be King.

Reckoning Part 2. Would have been of help to repel the replicators with much more ease.

Trouble is that the actual stargate on Earth is located in a base that only authorizes personnel transport.

That is why I figure that in a very close future, the stargate will be moved to another base, one which allow both troops and vehicles to use the stargate.

Technically, Earth could even build hovertanks, considering the ridiculous low space the exotic drives take... and which can even be mounted on missiles!
            It would make it too easy. If a tank was there to kill your enemy.

Comment

Maybe at first but it wouldn't take long before the enemy started employing a counter measure to reduce it's effectivness.

Comment

tanks come in handy during greater battles, which if i may remind you, did not appear untill heroes, and since the tau'ri tech sucked around that time, they would probably think that their tech would be no match, and since they didnt find tank tech in other worlds, they would probably have a psycholigical block from using tanks

Comment

Man imagine the little medieval villagers if a couple of Challenger II tanks just rolled into their Hamlet instead of just 4 guys looking weird turning up

Comment

ill quote from my fantasy

AARGH OHMYTHOR the ethons have arrived, oh might thor protect us!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bray View Post
                      Man imagine the little medieval villagers if a couple of Challenger II tanks just rolled into their Hamlet instead of just 4 guys looking weird turning up
                      What medieval villagers? The ones who turn into greasy red smears because they got too close trying to appease the new thunder-god (with sacred chobham armour), or the ones that disappear, screaming hysterically about the end of the world? okay, you're right, that would make a good episode!!

Even worse would be when the SG team leave the tank, and the medieval villagers decide to jump in.
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

The first ever tank jacking

Comment

i wonder what kind of remarks O'neill would make!

Comment

I told you not to park in this Neighbourhood, it's a bad as Coventry!

Indeed

Comment

I'd like to see the SGC fighting a Blitz War against the Goa'uld. Actually, it would be possible. They could establish an off-world base where they build tank and 302 factories. Of course, the tanks would need to be small in order to fit through the Stargate.

Comment

Ok i was thinking about writing something for the Virtual Fleet (See link in sig for details) and the whole thing is gona be a land operation, like i mean a MASSIVE invasion and at first i need a transport ship to drop this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stryker

BUT upon actully reading the article i realized tha it might can go threw the gate, if its width is 2.72 meters, and its heigth is 2.64 meters then shouldnt it be able to go threw the gate which is 6.7 meter in diameter? I really dont know if it can im just asking can it.
                                Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Working...
                                X