This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tekin_Kashami
    A ZPM doesn't run out of energy, the subspace is polluted with radiation beyond use, and the energy faces perpetual destructive interference.
    Isn't there some way to use all of that radiation to produce energy?

Comment

well the use of the zpm causes the micro singularites in the zpm to release energy and radiation yes this is true...the zpm however can run out of energy if used too much..
      Here is a quick example.... Right now, the city has 1 ZPM that used, and the team is using it to power the shield, but if they wanted to activate the stardrive and fly somewhere, they would have to turn off the shield, because 1 ZPM cannot handle the extra draw (load) of both systems, so in order to use the shield, stardrive and any other systems, they would need 3 ZPM's running in parallel. This doesnt mean that 1 ZPM powers the shield, the 2nd ZPM powers the stardrive, and the 3rd powers something else, it means that all 3 of them are working together not to provide more power, but provide more amperage to sustain the load of the extra system running.

The same amount of power is being used, but that 1 ZPM, now has 2 more running with it, to provide more holding power, which will increase life expectancy.
      ...if the zpm doesnt power the systems what does? and where did you get that idea from? using 1 zpm to power a city that usually has 3 powering it would cause the zpm to irradiate faster..(black holes do eventually disappear after all of their mass is gone..)

Comment

Originally posted by Tekin_Kashami
        A ZPM doesn't run out of energy, the subspace is polluted with radiation beyond use, and the energy faces perpetual destructive interference.
        It's not Radiation, it's Entropy. All the Energy in the ZPM is equal & at the lowest possible amount, We're unable to gain any more energy from it.

Comment

Originally posted by ek_elder_common
          well the use of the zpm causes the micro singularites in the zpm to release energy and radiation yes this is true...the zpm however can run out of energy if used too much..

...if the zpm doesnt power the systems what does? and where did you get that idea from? using 1 zpm to power a city that usually has 3 powering it would cause the zpm to irradiate faster..(black holes do eventually disappear after all of their mass is gone..)
          Remember, they have 3 naquida generators powering alot of different systems, but the 1 ZPM is used to provide power for the shield, or extra power for other systems.

And I got the idea from real world facts. Running energy sources in parallel doesnt produce more power, it produces more amperage to handle extra power draw and load which greatly increases life. Now if the ZPM's were run in series, then the output would be increased (voltage), but Janus said parallel, not series. Theres a difference.

Comment

oh ok...didnt realize that was what you meant...

Comment

I have a question here for something that I am thinking of writing.

Let's say 10,000 years ago when the Ancients were still there that they came up with a device that would deplete the ZPMs so that the Wraith wouldn't be able to use the city if they ever got to it.

This device rooms all of the power from the ZPM and puts it into a person who would receive a great amount of power from it. Only people with the gene could undergo this power.

I know its a little bit farfetched but do you think it could be possible???

Comment

Originally posted by Allestian
                I have a question here for something that I am thinking of writing.

Let's say 10,000 years ago when the Ancients were still there that they came up with a device that would deplete the ZPMs so that the Wraith wouldn't be able to use the city if they ever got to it.

This device rooms all of the power from the ZPM and puts it into a person who would receive a great amount of power from it. Only people with the gene could undergo this power.

I know its a little bit farfetched but do you think it could be possible???
                I think that it is very far fetched, The human body is not a battery. The device could only make energy flow through a body, and then only at the right frequency (which is really hard to find).

But other than that what would the purpose of making this device be? Sure it would stop them from getting a ZPM but we have never seen or heard of the Wraith wanting or needing a ZPM to power their vessels.

Oh you said it was to prevent them from using the city. Well I thought that was what sinking the city was for. Besides back then the Wraith just wanted to blow Atlantis up they had no idea that Earth or our galaxy was out there much less that the city was their ticket to get here.

In short no it is not possible unless of course you end up being a writer for the show then it is a possibility not a popular one but a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Brigadier General jackson
                  the reason the zpm was depleted was because there was 1 and it was not enough to start the charging but if you have all 3 running it is what you need to start up the engine and start charging so you don't deplete the zpm
                  You don't really watch the show, do you?

Car batteries are designed to recharge. That's why you can jump start them.

ZPMs pull energy from an artifically created pocket of subspace. They derive energy from the micro-wormholes that open and close from that artificial region of subspace. YOU CAN'T RECHARGE THAT.

It's not a car battery. You can't recharge it. Good god, when you create a thread, at least make sure you know what you're talking about.

(This proves that you're wrong in your other thread. If you dunno that ZPMs are non-rechargable (especially by using a cityship's stardrive), you are far from knowing everything about Stargate)

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko
                    You don't really watch the show, do you?

Car batteries are designed to recharge. That's why you can jump start them.

ZPMs pull energy from an artifically created pocket of subspace. They derive energy from the micro-wormholes that open and close from that artificial region of subspace. YOU CAN'T RECHARGE THAT.

It's not a car battery. You can't recharge it. Good god, when you create a thread, at least make sure you know what you're talking about.

(This proves that you're wrong in your other thread. If you dunno that ZPMs are non-rechargable (especially by using a cityship's stardrive), you are far from knowing everything about Stargate)
                    Where exactly did it say micro-wormholes? Can you give me quote or an episode number?

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
                    Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
                    the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
                    Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                    The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

I thought it generates its enormous amount of power, from vaccum energy, derived from a self contained region of sub-space time.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
                        I think that it is very far fetched, The human body is not a battery. The device could only make energy flow through a body, and then only at the right frequency (which is really hard to find).

But other than that what would the purpose of making this device be? Sure it would stop them from getting a ZPM but we have never seen or heard of the Wraith wanting or needing a ZPM to power their vessels.

Oh you said it was to prevent them from using the city. Well I thought that was what sinking the city was for. Besides back then the Wraith just wanted to blow Atlantis up they had no idea that Earth or our galaxy was out there much less that the city was their ticket to get here.

In short no it is not possible unless of course you end up being a writer for the show then it is a possibility not a popular one but a possibility.
                        Thanks for the info...bad idea...

Nah, I won't be a writer because I'm useless but I still write scripts for the fun of it...now I think of it that one wouldn't have worked.

Ta though.

Comment

OK Wether or not zpm's are rechable or not was not really defined. But the bottom line is u CANNOT do that by powering the engines like in a car. You do not need to know wether or not ZPMs are rechargable for that it simply irrelevent. Its like trying to have an electric moter powering the turbine that generates its own power. With a basic understanding of physics that is impossible.

The only reason cars can recharge their bateries by running the engines is because they have two sources of energy: fuel and battery. When the car is running the fuel (gas/petrol) will give the engines enough energy to run whilst at the same time also give some energy to recharge the batteries. Atlantis is different as far as it is known it runs only on zpms. The engines are powered by the zpms. So the zpms cant allocate some of its power to run the engines and the rest of its power to recharge itself. The energy used to recharge itself will keep using itself over and over again to pointlessly deplete and recharge the zpm assuming 100% effieciency whilst the rest will just be used up fueling the engines. This is of course assuming that the zpm is rechargable in the first. Now ur theory would only be correct if the engines are not powerd by the city zpm but another more powerful power source.

For example (once again assuming zpms are rechargable) if the citys engines are driven by say a collosal antimatter generator whilst running allocates some of its power output to recharge the zpms as they are used up working the rest of the cities functions such as the shields and internal functions. However as we found out in 'the tower' the zpm is the power source that is responsible for the city engines and not some other power source.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasankoon
                            OK Wether or not zpm's are rechable or not was not really defined. But the bottom line is u CANNOT do that by powering the engines like in a car. You do not need to know wether or not ZPMs are rechargable for that it simply irrelevent. Its like trying to have an electric moter powering the turbine that generates its own power. With a basic understanding of physics that is impossible.

The only reason cars can recharge their bateries by running the engines is because they have two sources of energy: fuel and battery. When the car is running the fuel (gas/petrol) will give the engines enough energy to run whilst at the same time also give some energy to recharge the batteries. Atlantis is different as far as it is known it runs only on zpms. The engines are powered by the zpms. So the zpms cant allocate some of its power to run the engines and the rest of its power to recharge itself. The energy used to recharge itself will keep using itself over and over again to pointlessly deplete and recharge the zpm assuming 100% effieciency whilst the rest will just be used up fueling the engines. This is of course assuming that the zpm is rechargable in the first. Now ur theory would only be correct if the engines are not powerd by the city zpm but another more powerful power source.

For example (once again assuming zpms are rechargable) if the citys engines are driven by say a collosal antimatter generator whilst running allocates some of its power output to recharge the zpms as they are used up working the rest of the cities functions such as the shields and internal functions. However as we found out in 'the tower' the zpm is the power source that is responsible for the city engines and not some other power source.
                            If the ship was powered by that then why is it that the city ran out of power?

*Edit: ignor this post entirely

Comment

Originally posted by Harekin
                              Where exactly did it say micro-wormholes? Can you give me quote or an episode number?
                              Stargate bases their zero point technology on the current, real-life theories of zero point energy.

If I recall correctly, real life zero point research points to micro-wormholes.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko
                                Stargate bases their zero point technology on the current, real-life theories of zero point energy.

If I recall correctly, real life zero point research points to micro-wormholes.
                                You do not recall correctly. Please learn some physics.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
                                Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
                                the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
                                Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                                The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Working...
                                X