Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Railguns have thier purpose. Close in defense and taking on small ships. One idea would be to strip a hyper drive from a 302 or something less advanced and attach it to a nuke. Just fire the missile and engage the hyperdrive for a few seconds get through shield or even inside the enemy ship and detonate. Guidence may be a problem and inertial dampners may have to be fitted to prevent explosions but that is not too much to pay considering it would only take 1 to destroy pretty much anything.
    aka paddytehpyro

Comment

Unless you are going to take out something as big as 's flagship or you can churn out hyperdrives really easily, I don't see it being worth it. Making a railgun slug entirely out of fissionable material occured to me, but we haven't seen any examples of if being compressed.
      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
      Caboose: They could be worse?
      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

We know that objects coming out of hyperspace - without deceleration drives - come out at huge speeds, so if railgun rounds or nukes survived in hyperspace long enough without hyperspace (or is it subspace?) field generators, the Daedalus could fire into a hyperspace window (without itself entering it) set to exit inside a hive ship. As well as bypassing the transporter problem, the railguns would be made much more powerful.

Comment

We know that objects coming out of hyperspace - without deceleration drives - come out at huge speeds, so if railgun rounds or nukes survived in hyperspace long enough without hyperspace (or is it subspace?) field generators, the Daedalus could fire into a hyperspace window (without itself entering it) set to exit inside a hive ship. As well as bypassing the transporter problem, the railguns would deliver loads more KE.

Comment

Sorry about the double-post, I got a ''server is busy" message.

Comment

From the episode with Thor it sounde dot me that the deacceleration drive is actually a kind of planetary "landing" drive, used to operate in an atmosphere.
              A ship should leave hyperspace with the same speed as it entered hyperspace, since it enteres a different realm and not rasing its speed in the normal space.

Comment

Seeing some nice ideas here

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
                  From the episode with Thor it sounde dot me that the deacceleration drive is actually a kind of planetary "landing" drive, used to operate in an atmosphere.
                  A ship should leave hyperspace with the same speed as it entered hyperspace, since it enteres a different realm and not rasing its speed in the normal space.
                  But in the episode where replicators took over Apophisis flagship didn't the team blow up the deceleration drive(or the goauld equivelent) after they exited hyperspace so that the ship crashed into his home world at a speed.
                  aka paddytehpyro

Comment

it was sublight engines slammed into reverse that slow the ship on exiting hyperspace.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrodude
                      But in the episode where replicators took over Apophisis flagship didn't the team blow up the deceleration drive(or the goauld equivelent) after they exited hyperspace so that the ship crashed into his home world at a speed.
                      No, the deacceleration drive as blown up on thors ships to crash into the earth, more specific, to burn it and the replicators on board up in the atmosphere during entry.

Comment

Just misremembered some terms there (I thought the deceleration drive was for controlled hyperspace exit and planetary re-entry), but Apophis's flagship did still exit hyperspace at an immense speed when sabotaged. Then again, that could have been its sublight speed. Never mind!

Comment

Working...
                        X