Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw does anyone know the name of the episode of atalantis when they went back in time??

Before I Sleep.
    "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by al87013
      Why did the ancients not have beaming technology in their cities and ships. I mean they have a basic version of it in the form of the city transport system, those lift like things, but why not anything more advanced? Surely the asgard arent more advanced than what the ancients were?
      Must admit I've asked myself the same qu loads of times, especially when u take account of say martins race which to our knowledge had no contact with ancient tech other than the gate.

I think they must have some sort of beam tech but dont employ it to the extent the asgard do, perhaps for fear of becoming too reliant on it where as the asgard may need it as their bodies dont seem to be that great for mobility. May be the ancients enjoyed exercise aswell given the limited no of transportors in Atlantis compared to its size and the fact that they are also the lifts and there isn't even one per building.

The Sodan were using some sort of ancient transporter although gutted when we didn't get to see it in operation. But I think that was designed to work more like asgard beams than ring transporters. In the ep Before I Sleep they said they retrieved Weir from the bottom of the ocean but again didn't specify how.

The rings do have certain advantages tho such as being able to be used while shields are still up and not needing someone constantly manning the controls or a vast sensor array to pin point targets.
      But given their level of tech I think they must have something simular if not more advanced than asgard beaming tech, but we just haven't seen it yet.
      Also the reason we haven't seen rings in Atlantis I think is because the booths are safer and more advanced and mostlikely can be still used in conjuction with ring transporters.

Comment

If you pay attention, the Asgard beaming technology travels much like the rings do...just without the use rings. It lifts the person to the ship and down whereever they need to go. So maybe they created there beaming technology from the rings. They just found a more advanced way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Master
          Must admit I've asked myself the same qu loads of times, especially when u take account of say martins race which to our knowledge had no contact with ancient tech other than the gate.

I think they must have some sort of beam tech but dont employ it to the extent the asgard do, perhaps for fear of becoming too reliant on it where as the asgard may need it as their bodies dont seem to be that great for mobility. May be the ancients enjoyed exercise aswell given the limited no of transportors in Atlantis compared to its size and the fact that they are also the lifts and there isn't even one per building.

The Sodan were using some sort of ancient transporter although gutted when we didn't get to see it in operation. But I think that was designed to work more like asgard beams than ring transporters. In the ep Before I Sleep they said they retrieved Weir from the bottom of the ocean but again didn't specify how.

The rings do have certain advantages tho such as being able to be used while shields are still up and not needing someone constantly manning the controls or a vast sensor array to pin point targets.
          But given their level of tech I think they must have something simular if not more advanced than asgard beaming tech, but we just haven't seen it yet.
          Also the reason we haven't seen rings in Atlantis I think is because the booths are safer and more advanced and mostlikely can be still used in conjuction with ring transporters.
          I agree the ancients definitely had more advanced technology than asgard beams but didn't use them much or we havn't seen them. By the way does anyone remember the stack of gold beaming down in the episode 'Avalon'. in merlins underground den.

Comment

Originally posted by pileofcrap
            If you pay attention, the Asgard beaming technology travels much like the rings do...just without the use rings. It lifts the person to the ship and down whereever they need to go. So maybe they created there beaming technology from the rings. They just found a more advanced way to do it.
            Find it hard to believe that Martins people were smarter than the ancients tho, and that they in a relatively short time developed matter energy conversion tech with out the need to use rings, and the ancients couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasankoon
              I agree the ancients definitely had more advanced technology than asgard beams but didn't use them much or we havn't seen them. By the way does anyone remember the stack of gold beaming down in the episode 'Avalon'. in merlins underground den.
              I remember it and would have put it in my post but I think I remember reading it earlier on in the thread but regardless as u point out it is another good example of ancient beaming tech that has yet to be found.

Comment

Thor said that the asgard found a repository of knowledge a long time ago, so they have had access to ancient knowlege since long before O'Neill got his first download.
                I thought the Asgard were one of the 5 original races along with the Furlings, Ancients etc (as shown in that early SG-1 episode with the guy who went through the stargate in the 60's in a diver suit, SG-1 found him in the castle thing on the edge of a cliff - perhaps Torment of Tantalus?)

So if the Asgard knew the Ancients it's reasonable to assume that they didn't need a repository to gain the knowledge. The Asgard have demonstrated the ability to build and work with ancient technology anyway.
                First, please use spoiler tags. If I want to know what happens in the show I'll watch it. Second, if you don't like the show, stop watching it. That way you won't feel the need to complain that a sci-fi entertainment show has "plot holes" or "isn't realistic". There is a difference between commenting on an episode you didn't like and constantly complaining about the series as a whole. After all, why torture yourself by watching something you don't like...

Comment

The Wraith were able to "jam" the Asgard’s beaming technology. Also, the wraith jammed the beaming very quickly, right after they knew about it. this leads me to believe that the ancients did have beaming tech but never put it on Atlantis. Don't know if its on the Orion.
                  Colorado Springs has a zoo. It does not have an O'Malley's.

Comment

Originally posted by Endeavour
                    I thought the Asgard were one of the 5 original races along with the Furlings, Ancients etc (as shown in that early SG-1 episode with the guy who went through the stargate in the 60's in a diver suit, SG-1 found him in the castle thing on the edge of a cliff - perhaps Torment of Tantalus?)

So if the Asgard knew the Ancients it's reasonable to assume that they didn't need a repository to gain the knowledge. The Asgard have demonstrated the ability to build and work with ancient technology anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                      It is 5 now, we are the 5th race. But I know what you mean.

Originally posted by Gamebear
                      The Wraith were able to "jam" the Asgard’s beaming technology. Also, the wraith jammed the beaming very quickly, right after they knew about it. this leads me to believe that the ancients did have beaming tech but never put it on Atlantis. Don't know if its on the Orion.
                      Interesting idea, very interesting. I still dont think they did. The Wraith arent idiots, they are pretty advanced. Im sure it was nothing for them to figure out. Like the way the Rings work, the Goauld adjust there shield freq. to allow them to come, same principle.

Comment

It is 5 now, we are the 5th race. But I know what you mean.
                        We still have much to prove before we can become the fifth race according to the asguard. We oneday may but we are no where near that level yet.

Interesting idea, very interesting. I still dont think they did. The Wraith arent idiots, they are pretty advanced. Im sure it was nothing for them to figure out. Like the way the Rings work, the Goauld adjust there shield freq. to allow them to come, same principle.
                        Sam Carter of the Tau'ri invented a device that can Jam asguard beaming technology in the episode 'Chimera'. Im sure the wraith dont suck that much to be unable to jam the asguard beaming frequency. But they still do suck. Although I still belive the Ancients did have some form of beaming technology superior to Asgard ('Avalon') and the fact that Asguard based their technology on Ancient principles.

Comment

No Sam carter did not invent a device which could jam asguard transporters. Osirus needed a radio beckon to send a signal to her ship in orbit so it could lock on to her location, this was because anubis did not get the asguard sensor technology. All sam did was to isolate that radio frequency and put out a jamming signal. Radial jamming been around for decades and not that difficult to do, except that she had to develop a way to do it for a subspace signal I think, well personnally I just do not think a gould would use a normal radio signal, ah well they were really dumb somedays so perhaps they did.

Comment

this debate about the ancients and beaming technology is getting pretty old
                            first of all, the ancients had the minds and science to build just about any technology
                            we've ever seen on stargate.
                            secondly they had a number of different "beam" transportation technologies that include:
                            -rings
                            -atlantis transporters
                            -avalon treasure
                            -sodan transporter

now if you ask me the ring transporters are very advanced, they have power source, sensors, phase shifting, engines, and matter reconstruction technology all packed in one small circle !!
                            today we see the gaould stick a set of rings on every stinking cargo ship
                            but that doesn't mean that the ancients did the same.
                            from what we know of the ancients they didn't have much use for ships
                            they mostly used the STARGATE
                            that's why remote beaming wasn't such a high priority and the rings weren't designed for that.

Comment

it requires energy to transport people or objects between two points. the 'lifts' in Atlantis, and the 'ring Platforms' use less energy because they are dedicated systems. we really don't know what sort of beaming tech the ancients used. because the only USABLE technology that weve found so far, (not including spoilers) is whats on atlantis. from what we know. the ancints sunk the city to escape the wraith. well. in 'While i sleep' , in the alternate time line, when Weir is back on atlantis 10,000 years ago, one of the Lantiuns made the point that a transport vesell was arining, (it was destroyed by the wraith) but how would those people aboard gotten to atlantus so far under water, they would have had to used beaming technology. also, possible reason why we don't see too much on atlantis is because the city sunk. because it requires so much energy to transport, they were problally trying to conserve as much as possible for emerganciy events. even tho thay had 3 full ZPMs. they still have a faily big need to conserve eneryy.

basicly, we really hanv't seen enough of 'working' ancient technology to really get an idea of how much 'beaming' tech they used.
                              Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
                              (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Very true and it was actually easier than you might think for the wraith to block the asgard beams. All they did was raise their shields which we know from past eps that Asgard beaming tech cant go through most shields. The reason they weren't raised initially is probably that the wraith had very little use for shields given that most Ancient weapons went right through them any way

Comment

Working...
                                X