This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
    No, I'm saying they'd be more vulnerable to begin with, with the cloak being uninvolved.

Mattathias
    When are they vunerable? They(Ev. cargo ships) are several magnitudes faster then the Wraith and during sublight travel(which there would be almost none) they have Asgard shields which are usefull for 5min against a single hive ship.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
      When are they vunerable? They(Ev. cargo ships) are several magnitudes faster then the Wraith and during sublight travel(which there would be almost none) they have Asgard shields which are usefull for 5min against a single hive ship.
      People are talking about some unknown unintroduced threat that may exist in Pegasus that we havent met yet that can out run our hyper drives and our shields wont stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
        No, I'm saying they'd be more vulnerable to begin with, with the cloak being uninvolved.

Mattathias
        They are faster and stronger than the wraith, and our weapons are inneffective against the wraith anyways. All the Deadalus can do now is run away as fast as it can. If the shields and engines are of equal power to the Deadalus how is a cargo ship any more vulnerable?

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
          People are talking about some unknown unintroduced threat that may exist in Pegasus that we havent met yet that can out run our hyper drives and our shields wont stop.
          But with that reason not a single ship would be built, since there's always something out there that's bigger and better.

If they find someone that can intercept the cargo ship while in hyperspace then either don't go through their territory or start using it somewhere else all together.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
            But with that reason not a single ship would be built, since there's always something out there that's bigger and better.

If they find someone that can intercept the cargo ship while in hyperspace then either don't go through their territory or start using it somewhere else all together.
            Well the argument is that the Daedalus with her weapons would stand a better chance. But since her weapons are innefective anyways she would be destroyed just as quickly as a cargo ship so in that instance it doesn't really matter which was there since either ship would be destroyed. Of course the Daedalus being destroyed would cost us hundreds of lives and all the time and energy put into her comlex systems, where as the cargo ship being destroyed would be a fraction of the lives and just some replacable supplies.

Comment

i have to say that if the hot zone virus's are for example the grace ship ppl, then we have a major problem seeings 4 hits takes asgard shielding down to 15%! im sorry to agree that if the grace aliens were put in to the equation no ship would survive IMO, they were by far the most powerfull ship we have seen out of anyone.
              as to using cloaked cargo....when would we be vunerable? hyperspace straight to atlantis, if the wraith detect cloak until they go away... i see no complications.
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

Well a nano-virus sure isn't that impressive by itself. If it was active the whole 10,000 years then maybe

Comment

if the nano virus can manipulate asgard DNA they could make thing much worse clone wise, just edit the clones so they can be cloned and we just lost our greatest ally...its effects could be major and unquantified in that respects.
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  Stargate : Genesis |
                  Original Starship DesignThread
                  Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                  11000! green me

Comment

Another reason not to bother with a cargo ship. Just offload all or most of the F-302s on the Daedalus. Say clear out one side. Those hangers are huge. You could fit WAY more than enough cargo and supplies in one run to last them for many months. Then the Daedalus could hang closer.

Best way to do it, IMHO, leave approx half or more of their fighters at Atlantis one trip. Head back to the MW. Load up with supplies. Ideally, empty out one hanger and put all the F-302s in the other. If that would unbalance the ship or whatever, then put half the F-302s on either side and fill the rest of the space (that you don't need for launching/recovering/repairing F-302) with cargo. It would only be for one run and the Daedalus is fast enough to outrun any likely threats.

Comment

All I am saying is we should explore what is in the Pegasus Galaxy so we may build better defenses and offenses for the possibility of a Cargo vessel in the future.

It seems foolish to start building a Cargo vessel now when it could get destroyed by some powerful race of aliens.

It's easy to hook up a cloak to a ship... But I'm sure there is more in the Pegasus than the Wraith alone that could be a threat, who may have implemented Ancient Tech, or kicked their butts... Who knows?

I think it'd be cool to be cautius, first.

Mattathias

Comment

The cargo ship wouldn't be exploring, it'd be picking up Naquadah and Trinium in the MW as well as transporting material Earth-Atlantis-Earth. That would leave the Battle Cruisers to defence and exploring.

Having a cruiser skip their main purpose of combat and exploring just to transport cargo is a waste of time, and 40+ days Atlantis-Earth-Atlantis is much to long to have a warship inactive, especially when they only have 2-3 of them.

Comment

Working...
                        X