This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avatar28
    No, I think you're right. I'm pretty sure they can too.

They just need to get their hands on another ZPM to power the gate. Or rig up a few mk naquada generators to power the gate maybe.
    ZPM's aren't that easy to find.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
      Or, why not just put intergalactic hyperdrives in all our battle cruisers...

But I think the idea of building an actual cargo ship with a larger capacity is a good idea.
      Actually, I disagree.

I do see how having the Daedelus go back-and-forth between Earth and Atlantis makes it a worthless ship, but....

Caldwell made a point that much of the Pegasus Galaxy is Undiscovered and so if they do meet up with hostile forces, they could defend themselves.

If they used a Cargo vessel, they would not have a chance of survival, possibly not even be found if there are survivors.

This is why I think they should use the Daedelus to start discovering the Pegasus Galaxy - solve both problems.

Unless they intend to have the Daedelus stationed in the MW during the Ori Invasion forces. This might explain why in S3, the Atlantis expedition will be more on their own.

Mattathias

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
        ZPM's aren't that easy to find.
        So they say, yet we seem to run into them fairly often for how rare they are suppsed to be, we just always find drained ones or we dont get to take them for one reason or another.

The one on the kids planet: It was nearly drained and we couldnt take it anyways

The one from the episode with the hidden chamber that gotten hidden from us

The one from proclarush taonas

the one that was already here on earth just depleted

camulus' that was booby trapped

The one powering the device on dakara

The one that Ra had

and the one powering the time dilation field from a couple episods ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
          Actually, I disagree.

I do see how having the Daedelus go back-and-forth between Earth and Atlantis makes it a worthless ship, but....

Caldwell made a point that much of the Pegasus Galaxy is Undiscovered and so if they do meet up with hostile forces, they could defend themselves.

If they used a Cargo vessel, they would not have a chance of survival, possibly not even be found if there are survivors.

This is why I think they should use the Daedelus to start discovering the Pegasus Galaxy - solve both problems.

Unless they intend to have the Daedelus stationed in the MW during the Ori Invasion forces. This might explain why in S3, the Atlantis expedition will be more on their own.

Mattathias
          they could very easily cloak the cargo ship and hide if they encounter some kind of threat they can not out run with the hyperdrive. They could adapt a cloak from a puddle jumper or they ccould use a goa'uld cloak

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
            The one powering the device on dakara

and the one powering the time dilation field from a couple episods ago.
            What the hell are you talking about? What time dilation field? The power source for the dakara superweapon has never been addressed.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

What the hell are you talking about?
              that was rude.
              What time dilation field? The power source for the dakara superweapon has never been addressed.
              Sam said that there was likely a ZPM powering the device because she didnt know of anything else powerful enough to power the energy wave.

The time dilation field from "Epiphany" was powered by a ZPM according to McKay and its a safe guess he's right.

Comment

they could very easily cloak the cargo ship and hide if they encounter some kind of threat they can not out run with the hyperdrive. They could adapt a cloak from a puddle jumper or they ccould use a goa'uld cloak
                OK, couple questions:

1. Transport of the Cloak? How?

2. Considering the Pegasus has lots of Ancient Tech lying around... Isn' there a possibility enemy could see thru the cloak?

3. Is the cloak even viable to mesh with Asgard and Goa'ud Tech?

Mattathias

Comment

Sam said that there was likely a ZPM powering the device because she didnt know of anything else powerful enough to power the energy wave.
                  I have watched Reckoning one and two more times than i can count on all my fingers and toes. Not once was the word power source or ZPM mentioned.

Best Stargate quote:
                  Green is your friend.

Comment

OK, couple questions:

1. Transport of the Cloak? How?

2. Considering the Pegasus has lots of Ancient Tech lying around... Isn' there a possibility enemy could see thru the cloak?

3. Is the cloak even viable to mesh with Asgard and Goa'ud Tech?

Mattathias
                    1. What do you mean?

2. If they are that advanced, do you really think even the Daedalus would stand a chance?

3. The Daedalus primary operating systems are pretty much goa'uld crystal tech anyways, its only recently that the ships have loads of Asgard systems, so Asgard and Goa'uld tech can be made compatible. PLus couple that with the fact that Anubis combined loads of Ancient tech with Goa'uld, it shouldnt be that much of a problem.

Comment

I have watched Reckoning one and two more times than i can count on all my fingers and toes. Not once was the word power source or ZPM mentioned.
                      Hmm Ill have to rewatch, perhaps I am remembering wrong. Even if they didn't say it it does make sense though.

Comment

1. What do you mean?

2. If they are that advanced, do you really think even the Daedalus would stand a chance?

3. The Daedalus primary operating systems are pretty much goa'uld crystal tech anyways, its only recently that the ships have loads of Asgard systems, so Asgard and Goa'uld tech can be made compatible. PLus couple that with the fact that Anubis combined loads of Ancient tech with Goa'uld, it shouldnt be that much of a problem.
                        1. Getting the Cloak from the Pegasus to the MW.

2. So it's better to have a cloaked Cargo vessel to make it easier to destroy?

3. Anubis could do it because he had ascended... He had the knowledge. That makes that situation 'special' circumstances. Meaning, we would need a truck load of scientists to understand what Anubis did... long before we did Ancient-Goa'uld Meshing of our own.

Mattathias

Comment

1. Getting the Cloak from the Pegasus to the MW.

2. So it's better to have a cloaked Cargo vessel to make it easier to destroy?

3. Anubis could do it because he had ascended... He had the knowledge. That makes that situation 'special' circumstances. Meaning, we would need a truck load of scientists to understand what Anubis did... long before we did Ancient-Goa'uld Meshing of our own.

Mattathias
                          1. Well lets see if they decide to use one off a PJ they could you know, send it through the gate or fly it there on one of Daedalus' runs.

2. My point was that if they are using an Ancient cloak and the enemy can still see them it doesn't matter if it is a transport ship or the Deadalus, they are both going to be dispatched with exceeding ease so it is an irrelevant point.

3. Thats why I said they could just use a standard goa'uld one if the encountered difficulties making the technology compatible. But seeing as how we have not encountered compatibility issues at all since we got to atlantis I doubt it is an issue. Remember they had their Dell laptops plugged in and accessing the Atlantis database within 5 minutes of arrival. The writers have been very easy on the team, they haven't had any problems understand Ancient technology yet.

Comment

1. Well lets see if they decide to use one off a PJ they could you know, send it through the gate or fly it there on one of Daedalus' runs.

2. My point was that if they are using an Ancient cloak and the enemy can still see them it doesn't matter if it is a transport ship or the Deadalus, they are both going to be dispatched with exceeding ease so it is an irrelevant point.

3. Thats why I said they could just use a standard goa'uld one if the encountered difficulties making the technology compatible. But seeing as how we have not encountered compatibility issues at all since we got to atlantis I doubt it is an issue. Remember they had their Dell laptops plugged in and accessing the Atlantis database within 5 minutes of arrival. The writers have been very easy on the team, they haven't had any problems understand Ancient technology yet.
                            1. Waste of ZPM power. Atlantis needs the ZPM, or the Daedelus.

1a. Then why make a Cargo vessel to begin with?

2. Talk about a death sentence... Atleast the Daedelus has defenses, but not a Cargo vessel.

3. Accessing the database and understanding it completely are very different things.

- Last I checked, we needed help from Baal to use the weapon at Dakara.

- The Lab in Prototype, which Daniel first thought was Ancient, was actually Anubis'... which he insisted nothing be touched.

- If it wasn't for Oma, an Ascended Ancient, Anubis would have destroyed all life in this galaxy.

- The Atlantis expedition would have self-destructed, compromised by the Wraith, or worse.... had the Daedelus not arrive with a ZPM.

- It was by pure luck that Camulus' ZPM was discovered to be a booby trap.

Mattathias

Comment

1. Waste of ZPM power. Atlantis needs the ZPM, or the Daedelus.

1a. Then why make a Cargo vessel to begin with?

2. Talk about a death sentence... Atleast the Daedelus has defenses, but not a Cargo vessel.

3. Accessing the database and understanding it completely are very different things.

- Last I checked, we needed help from Baal to use the weapon at Dakara.

- The Lab in Prototype, which Daniel first thought was Ancient, was actually Anubis'... which he insisted nothing be touched.

- If it wasn't for Oma, an Ascended Ancient, Anubis would have destroyed all life in this galaxy.

- The Atlantis expedition would have self-destructed, compromised by the Wraith, or worse.... had the Daedelus not arrive with a ZPM.

- It was by pure luck that Camulus' ZPM was discovered to be a booby trap.

Mattathias
                              1. They dial earth on a regular basis. They send regular reports and travel back to earth via the gate.

2. Are you being thick on purpose? If the ship doesn't stand a chance even if it is the Daedalus, it is a moot point. Either way it would be destroyed so it doesnt matter which ship it is. It's not a plus or minus for either one, it is a moot point.

3. They arrive at Atlantis and plug their laptops in and have access to at least some of Atlantis' sytems. We can adapt their technology to do whatever we want it to depending on the situation. You really think they couldnt adapt a a PJ cloak if they really wanted to? All of the examples you gave have nothing to do with anything we are talking about. They were emergency situations and even then had nothing to do with combatibility between Ancient and earth tech.

Comment

2. Are you being thick on purpose??
                                No, I am trying to think like the military.

Sending people on the Daedelus gives them a chance, cloak or not, but sending them in a Cargo ship is like a suicide mission.

Mattathias

Comment

Working...
                                X