Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the gate is activated the wormhole whooses out right?

When the wormhole whooses out anything in his path gets disintegrated right? (as seen in plenty of eps).

Well, the Earth gate sometimes closes the Iris BEFORE the wormhole whooses out, which SHOULD mean the iris would get disintergrated, but somehow the iris can withstand it lol.

Obviously it makes sense when objects don't go through it because they are not fully put back together (as Carter stated), but the wormhole should easily take out the iris.

Thoughs?
    When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
    I miss you.
    Please...please come back one day.

(Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

Comment

This has been the subject of many many threads, in fact I'm pretty sure it's covered in one of the stickied threads in the science and tech section.

Yup here ya go.
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Thanks!
        When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
        I miss you.
        Please...please come back one day.

(Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice Otter View Post
          A very good point. But one that the show has at least been consistent in handling--there have been a few times when there was a natural iris formed on other gates (A Hundred Days, for example) and the vortex didn't affect them, either, though once the iris had been breeched, the vortex was enough to carve out that cavern that Teal'c almost died in. My guess is that a solid iris just a few microns from the event horizon somehow prevents the vortex from forming; this would be consistent with the show, though it's never been directly stated.
          sorry if this has already been answered.
          Devices like the iris prevent the vortex from forming. (SG1: "Children of the Gods", "The Light", "Hundred Days") it has been directly stated.
          I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello.

Comment

I thought you wanted to discuss the little known Stargate character 'Major Flaw'

I don't even think he is in the Omnipedia.
            sigpic

Comment

Thats what i thought
              Spoiler:
              Originally posted by daredevil-k's signature using the quote
              god damn daniel what you done this time!!nice gunahh crap it's an alien.... oh wait it's just jonasyeah it's sam to save our buttsahh crap light sabers!!!she's drunk but how....?hahahaha weaklinghe's way to happyshe's very angry... run!!!ahh what... oh it's just a replicator.. crap!!this is obviously creepyrun like the butt-head you are!!creepycool and smooth hammondmckay you just blew up half a solar systemten hut don't get in teal'cs way to many guns sam's got a gou'aldmckay's always like this

Comment

poor major flaw... always forgotten...

Anyways, it's discussed in the show, and I believe it was carter who mentioned it, right after the installation of the iris, that the woosh wouldn't form because it was cut off by the iris and then technobable.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic View Post
                  poor major flaw... always forgotten...

Anyways, it's discussed in the show, and I believe it was carter who mentioned it, right after the installation of the iris, that the woosh wouldn't form because it was cut off by the iris and then technobable.
                  I know...the poor guy doesn't even get his own avatar pics and you never see him in any signatures
                  sigpic

Comment

just remind me...
                    what are you on about???
                    SG-1 members
                    Atlantis Team members

Comment

Think about it like this: You've got a large sum of energy traveling from one end to the other. The stargate catches it like a butterfly net, only without the holes. It stretches out and eventually bounces back until it's contained as a proper opening. The idea that it is 2 dimensional or ANY dimensional is silly. The EH is, on a quantum level, multi-dimensional on a macro scale.
                      Essentially, once the "woosh" is somewhat fully formed it has enough energy behind it to vaporize thing. If the "woosh" is contained before it can reach some kind of energy threshold. I have a head ache and am pretty tired. It's 12:34 (Didn't notice that, kinda neat.) here in good ol' BC.

I am, of course, watching Stargate Atlantis. Is good.

ANYWAYS, think of the iris/shield as a strong steel net or... wall, even.... which is more close to home.

It could also be that the resulting energy doesn't spike and therefor goes into another dimension where... perhaps it emanates from...

Or, and this is always my final line of defense: MAGIC. WITCHCRAFT.

Comment

how the does iris close when the gate ramp is in the way?
                        SG-1 members
                        Atlantis Team members

Comment

Originally posted by hawkmajor View Post
                          how the does iris close when the gate ramp is in the way?
                          hindge floor section just like on a car ferry

excuise spelling but ya get the idea lol

Comment

Originally posted by toby1kanobi View Post
                            hindge floor section just like on a car ferry

excuise spelling but ya get the idea lol
                            i've never seen it...
                            just out of interest, where did you get the info from?
                            SG-1 members
                            Atlantis Team members

Comment

Originally posted by hawkmajor View Post
                              i've never seen it...
                              just out of interest, where did you get the info from?
                              its just a guess, as its the most logical arangement to provide both a stable ramp and a flap to cloce the iris, it dunt even need to be mechanised, the iris closing would just push it out of the way and it would flop down when the iris opens. sorry i really should have put it as being conjecture rather than fact, my bad

Comment

Originally posted by toby1kanobi View Post
                                its just a guess, as its the most logical arangement to provide both a stable ramp and a flap to cloce the iris, it dunt even need to be mechanised, the iris closing would just push it out of the way and it would flop down when the iris opens. sorry i really should have put it as being conjecture rather than fact, my bad
                                ok, and it links to the film/missile silo
                                SG-1 members
                                Atlantis Team members

Comment

Working...
                                X