Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've posted this a few times, just posted it again in a thread in the Science/Tech forum and figured id copy it here:

The "splash" only forms when there is room for matter to reintegrate. There is no room for matter to reintegrate between the iris and the event horizon therefore there is no splash. Once there is room for matter to reintegrate (as seen in "100 Days") then the "splash" will form.

When the gate is buried, usually the inner circle is filled in. When the inner circle is completely filled in, the event horizon cannot form, so there is no wormhole or "splash". The cover stones usually fill in this circle ("Memento"). In rare instances the gate is buried without filling in the middle. In "100 Days", molten rock covered over the active gate, and cooled just above the event horizon, just like an iris. Therefore a wormhole could be established but matter could not reintegrate. The only matter that can reintegrate in such a small amount of space are subatomic particles, which can be used to create holograms or to heat up whatever may be covering the event horizon. In "100 Days" the rock was melted enough to make room for matter to reintegrate by using a particle accelerator. Then the "splash" carved out the rest.
    Last edited by walterIsTheMan; 02 December 2005, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Just wondering- what do you think would happen if someone walked through from the "back" of a Stargate that already had an outgoing wormhole established?

Along the same lines- what happens if you walk through an icnoming wormhole?

Comment

The person would be killed in both situations
        The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

well, in the situation of going through an incoming wormhole has been touchede upon in and A Hundred Days when the MALP goes thru and falls back into the wormhole b/c the gate is on its side. In that case, the MALP was never seen again, in the case of walking through the back end of an outgoing wormhole, you could be killed, or another possibility is thaqt you might just wlk through as if no wormhole were established. I think the real question is why does the event horizon look like a watery mirror instead of looking like a window looking into where ever the gate is connected to (similar to the quantum mirror)
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
          Originally posted by Jonzey
          Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

I guess this question was about due to be asked again. I'll give it my best theory. Mind you, this is a theory and tries for consistency only with science within the Stargate universe.

The event horizon you see is the field responsible for demolecularizing someone. The wormhole itself is best represented for this example as a cylinder. The difference is, the depth of it (the bit between the two 2-dimensional circles) exists in subspace, and thus doesn't "exist" when limited to 3 dimensions of motion. While aproaching it from the correct side of the gate, it "exists", from the other side, it doesn't "exist". The field is still there, as it's seperate from the wormhole and is it's own 3 dimesional object (albeit quite thin), and so it "exists" in it's entirety from either side of the gate. Depending on possible ways the demolecularization field operates, a person could step through safely (it only operates when one enters properly), it will demolecularize the person and pass him in the same direction to in front of the gate, or it will demolecularize and pass the person into the gate anyway.
            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

>>I guess this question was about due to be asked again.<<

It's one of those, huh? ;

It's just an interesting scenario, especially since, from the back, we can see through the event horizon to the other side, but not the other way around.

Comment

Well, here are some interesting properties of wormholes in the SG universe:

1. Matter can go only one way
                2. Gravitational fields go both ways, with irregular effets"
                a. The gravitational field coming through the gate is less than what it is on the other side
                b. The time distorion effect of gravity is somehow larger than it normally would be for the gravitational field that comes through
                c. The gravitational field will behave as if the gate is the center of mass
                3. Radio waves (low frequency EM waves) can go both ways
                4. Visible light (mid range frequence EM) does not appear to go both ways.
                5. Gamma rays (high frequency EM) does go both ways
                6. Light from the front end of the wormhole does make it to the back end of the gate without going through while matter does not
                7. The event horizon clearly emits light when active, although not in a very orderly pattern.
                8. Matter that goes through an incoming wormhole is never seen again.
                9. The event horizon does however prevent air or water from going through on either side.
                10. The gate will only send entire objects, not part of objects
                11. The gate can only be open for a limited amout of time, however under certian condition, the maximum time can be extended, possibly indefinatly.

Well, in the 2 hours since my last post I think I came up with a theory as to why a radio signal can come through clearly but light can't (well 2 actually, there isn't any evidence supporting one over other) which I will post soon, just want to get these facts up first.
                Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

one possible theory for this is that he lower the frequency, the less distorted the EM waves will be, therefore allowing radio signals to come through nearly unchanged, while visible light still comes through but is very distorted (with the same effect on gamma radiation) which would also explain why the event horizon is luminous.

Comment

Originally posted by jebus
                    Well, here are some interesting properties of wormholes in the SG universe:

1. Matter can go only one way
                    2. Gravitational fields go both ways, with irregular effets"
                    a. The gravitational field coming through the gate is less than what it is on the other side
                    b. The time distorion effect of gravity is somehow larger than it normally would be for the gravitational field that comes through
                    c. The gravitational field will behave as if the gate is the center of mass
                    3. Radio waves (low frequency EM waves) can go both ways
                    4. Visible light (mid range frequence EM) does not appear to go both ways.
                    5. Gamma rays (high frequency EM) does go both ways
                    6. Light from the front end of the wormhole does make it to the back end of the gate without going through while matter does not
                    7. The event horizon clearly emits light when active, although not in a very orderly pattern.
                    8. Matter that goes through an incoming wormhole is never seen again.
                    9. The event horizon does however prevent air or water from going through on either side.
                    10. The gate will only send entire objects, not part of objects
                    11. The gate can only be open for a limited amout of time, however under certian condition, the maximum time can be extended, possibly indefinatly.

Well, in the 2 hours since my last post I think I came up with a theory as to why a radio signal can come through clearly but light can't (well 2 actually, there isn't any evidence supporting one over other) which I will post soon, just want to get these facts up first.
                    Light does come through it, sometimes.
                    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

If it is written by the writers then it must be so.
                      All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                      Pay it forward

Comment

I dont know if this has been on before but have u ever noticed that the WHOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!! from the stargate will destroy every thing in its way but never seens to damage the Iris

Comment

Yes. Yes, we have. In fact, in the entirety of SG-1 I think it's come up once or twice...

Mark

Comment

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Comment

Originally posted by Deano
                              I dont know if this has been on before but have u ever noticed that the WHOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!! from the stargate will destroy every thing in its way but never seens to damage the Iris
                              The most widely discussed inconsistency in Gateworld history.

An apparent oversight on the producer's part. Attempts to cover up the inconsistency range from having the iris open until after the Wooosh. Or not closing it until ordered to do so after the wormhole has been engaged.

Comment

Ok iv only been on for 2 days calm down

Comment

Working...
                                X