Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it that time of the month already? its been a while since i saw this question posted.... the simple answer is that the iris is positioned so close to the event horizon it doesnt allow the kawoosh to form.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
      is it that time of the month already? its been a while since i saw this question posted.... the simple answer is that the iris is positioned so close to the event horizon it doesnt allow the kawoosh to form.
      0.3microns to be exact

Really?? You didnt see this question on the forum in awhile....there was one a few days ago or maybe a week ago...but not long ago..lol

The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

If the splash couldn't form then I think the wormhole wouldn't establish?

Comment

Originally posted by Kralizec
          That's the magic of the movies and television. It doesn't have to make sense. Logically, it should blow right through the iris (but not the shield in Atlantis), but TPTB (The Powers That Be) decided that it doesn't, so it doesn't. They also don't have to spend $$ on SFX, saving $$ for better things.
          Because it's so close to the event horison that the splosh can't form.
          I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

I have a simple answer:

Because the producers don't want it to.

Comment

Originally posted by plaw15
              If the splash couldn't form then I think the wormhole wouldn't establish?
              no the splash is just a uncontrolled burst of energy released as the wormhole forms. the splash is not neccasary for the creation of the wormhole and it is possible to create a wormhole with out the splash.

Comment

no the splash is just a uncontrolled burst of energy released as the wormhole forms. the splash is not neccasary for the creation of the wormhole and it is possible to create a wormhole with out the splash.
                Think I get it now.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
                  I have a simple answer:

Because the producers don't want it to.
                  That's exactly what I said back in the first reply to the original question. I've already claimed credit for that.
                  -Kralizec

"The only truth is that the knowledge of the universe is infinite."

Comment

Well thats makes no sense. Remember how O'niell got trapped on that one planet for a LONG LONG time, and they dialed the gate to make the energy surge dig up all the rock so Teal'c could go in and try to dig his way up? Well they said that the lava and rock formed an artificial "Iris" around the gate, but still the "kawoosh" managed to destroy it. Talk about double standards. I think if a subatomic partical beam could enter the iris the kawoosh should be able to as well. After all, carter said we diassemble at a sub atomic level and are transported as pure energy (which is of course sub atomic) when we gate travel. If the gate supplies energy to do this I think the kawoosh would be made up of subatmoic energy as well. Darn you WRITERS! You can only close the iris after an incoming worm hole is established!

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpencerLangford
                      Well thats makes no sense. Remember how O'niell got trapped on that one planet for a LONG LONG time, and they dialed the gate to make the energy surge dig up all the rock so Teal'c could go in and try to dig his way up? Well they said that the lava and rock formed an artificial "Iris" around the gate, but still the "kawoosh" managed to destroy it. Talk about double standards. I think if a subatomic partical beam could enter the iris the kawoosh should be able to as well. After all, carter said we diassemble at a sub atomic level and are transported as pure energy (which is of course sub atomic) when we gate travel. If the gate supplies energy to do this I think the kawoosh would be made up of subatmoic energy as well. Darn you WRITERS! You can only close the iris after an incoming worm hole is established!
                      the lava bubble wasnt as close to the event horizon as the iris is. it was far enough away that the splash was able to form.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpencerLangford

Ah…

You are forgetting that Carter first developed a particle beam generator to fire through the gate to dissolve the so-called “artificial iris.” After the particle beam dissolved enough of it, they redialed and the “kawoosh” was able to form and create a larger cavern.

The episode was A Hundred Days.
                        "Fighting a war that appears unwinnable does not make one's cause less noble."
                        - Master Bra'tac

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Dan
                          Ah…

You are forgetting that Carter first developed a particle beam generator to fire through the gate to dissolve the so-called “artificial iris.” After the particle beam dissolved enough of it, they redialed and the “kawoosh” was able to form and create a larger cavern.

The episode was A Hundred Days.
                          The particle beam didn't disolve the "iris", but it did superheat it enough so that when the wormhole was established, it vaporised that small area, just as it was designed to do.
                          -Kralizec

"The only truth is that the knowledge of the universe is infinite."

Comment

I got served! You are correct. You know, when I was writting that the partical beam from the show stuck in my head, but I guess I ignored that. Sorry! But still, it should kill the iris.

Or maybe instead of an iris we could just turn the gate upside down so the kawoosh goes up? This way if someone/thing tried to enter without a GDO they would fall back into an established inbound wormhole and become galatic toasties.

Comment

What about when we tell people to bury there gate like we told the nox. They couldn't establish a wormhole right?

Comment

Originally posted by plaw15
                                What about when we tell people to bury there gate like we told the nox. They couldn't establish a wormhole right?
                                correct, if the space inside the ring where the event horizon forms is blocked the wormhole will not engage, hence the iris is .3 micrometers away from the event horizon.

Comment

Working...
                                X