Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it has something to do with the fact that electromagnetic radiation travels (propagates) by means of oscillating electromagnetic fields that pass through the air and the vacuum of space equally well, and does not require a medium of transport (such as the aether).

Put simply, radio waves are non corporeal, and would thus be the only type of 'stuff' that passes back and forth through a wormhole without the trappings of physical substances.

Of course, little is known about such things, since we have no access to a wormhole in this day and age.
    Last edited by Dusk; 27 July 2006, 12:26 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

energy is the only thing that can go both ways through a wormhole, this is because the receiver event horizon demolecularises matter, just like the caller side does, but doesn't transmit backwards, the caller uploads data to the receiver but can not download from the receiver, because radio waves are energy they do not get demolecularised, so the gates don't transmit its pattern, hence is free to travel both ways. by this same token there is no way to send matter from the receiver to the caller gate.

So in conclusion, it is molecular pattern data transmittion that is one way, not the wormhole, hence any thing that passes through the event horizon without undergoing demolecularisation can pass both ways, light does not pass both ways because its frequency/wavelength cannot pass the event horizon.

P.S. the back of the gate was shown in the episode where the blew up a sun, it has no symbols and the chevrons don't glow, the event horizon is partially transparent

Comment

so... would it be possible, if there was a traposrter device on each side, to transmit someone through both ways!?

we know that it works on a frequency as they were able to block it, and obviously if there was a transmitter one side, it could not see through the other gate and "get" the person, so having one each side, you could get the person then send it through as a signal, and on the other side, put them back together.... so 2 way travel is possible!?

I want 2 way travel!

Comment

there have been 3 threads so far that delt with beaming through a stargate, each one came to the conclusion it won't work because they transmit matter streams not energy, so it cannot go backwards through a gate

Comment

unless they moddified the transported that they use more of a propagate signal instead of the traditional matter stream beam. Therefore acting like a radio signal but actually being a person/
            I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

unless they moddified the transported that they use more of a propagate signal instead of the traditional matter stream beam. Therefore acting like a radio signal but actually being a person/
              I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

unless they moddified the transporter that they use more of a propagate signal instead of the traditional matter stream beam. Therefore acting like a radio signal but actually being a person

But its strange, the gate can do anything, send people back in time, act as a blackhole when gated to one, can be dialed at the same time as every other gate in the galaxy, have weapons transported through it, radio waves sent through it, but no two way travel

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus_Of_Borg
                  But its strange, the gate can do anything, send people back in time, act as a blackhole when gated to one, can be dialed at the same time as every other gate in the galaxy, have weapons transported through it, radio waves sent through it, but no two way travel
                  Most of those things aren't ment to happen, there are safety procedures to stop them happening, mainly because they are dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by wilhil
                    EDIT - NEW
                    Ok, fine, walking in reverse is easy, anything goes in, comes out the same way on the other side, but read on, other funny and interesting points here!
                    EDIT - New Over!

...and related items!

Anyway, didnt know if this is one for here or the tech, I think it is better here.

I was wondering, what would happen if you walked through the other side of the stargate!

When they have the kewoosh! you can see which is the front, also because of all the address symbols, but I dont think we have seen the back of a stargate? only front and side. Does the back have symbols, or is it blank? wouldnt it be funny if once initialised, you could walk on the other side, and on a planet, come out the other side!

When you think about it, there is nothing really stopping it, It is not like a door where A <|> B... A is on the right, B is on the left, you have to walk through, but with a stargate, it opens, then it is not as though B is in front of A, it is not in a straight line, the planet could be anywhere, and with orbits and things, in any direction, meaning that anything goes in one end, comes out the other somewhere else no matter physical positions.

Wouldnt it be funny if in one episode, all of a sudden they try this and find out that 2 way worm holes work, you just need to walk in the other side, and this is why radios and other things work!

Also, what would happen if you jumped backwards as you were going through, would just just come out backwards... ok that one is simple. Is there a angle you can go through where you just wouldnt come out, or come out the other side when you reach target!

I am sure there must be a way for 2 way wormholes, even through artificial means, like A | B ... It may be impossible for things on A to see things on B, but signals and things can get through, could you have a Asgard or other transporter on both sides that can dematerialise someone, send the signal through, and rematerialise on another one!

now that would be cool, and I dont see why it would not work , we know that the transporter beams work on frequencys due to the fact they could block it (I am assuming, could be wrong) it is just ultra ultra high high band (to work in space!) there is no reason to think that something like this could not work, after all, the Asgard are able to send signals and do freaky things through the gate already to turn the power off (I miss that!), what is stopping them from being able to do 2 way worm holes!
                    Ok, this is a classic just for bringing up the idea. And yes, Sam would be really miffed. The Goa'uld would be pulling their scales out.

But I think why the gate is only one way is because the gate transforms matter into energy and that energy flows from the originating point to the destination. And I think the radios work 2 way because it's kinda like a signals flow on the energy of the wormhole, or perhaps it's kind of like a feedback of energy so it gets re-emitted on the other side. That does bring up the question of if energy can be transmitted two way, why can't a beaming signal go both ways? They need to do something to explain some of these holes in the concept. I think I read somewhere that you can't walk into the back of the gate because it would basically desolve you into nothingness. I dunno. Good questions though.
                    Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
                    Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

I think what what the writers intended was that the gate is only half duplex. LOL! ! ! Maybe the gate itself can only do one function at a time, but not both. Either transmit or receive, but not both at the same time. So maybe the worm hole itself could be full duplex (bidirectional) but the gates themselves are not.

Could be? Ye or ney?

Comment

Personally, I think this is a complete flaw in the show, It is not like a telephone where each side is only capable of either hearing or receiving... a stargate can both send and receive, not both at the same time...but why

maybe, there is a 'option', if you power the gate with extra energy, you can use it two ways? (although, wouldnt like to go through where someone is coming out...)

I just find it stupid that they can dial out to more than one at a time, but not a two way wormhole, all the cool things we have seen in stargate, and they can't do this! I would love to see in a future episode a explanation in to this, maybe it is possible, but as I said, requires just to damn much power for two way.

however, the transporter, we know the rings use a matter stream, and if I remember, the old transporter used to do a beam type thing? (in the episode where they sign the treaty, does O'neill go up to Thor's ship in a beam or does he appear ? however, in later episodes and the one where (forget her name) working for Anubis, visits Daniel, they block the FREQUENCY, meaning radio/signal, I just assume it is ultra ultra futuristic high band! but it is still a frequency and it seems not a matter stream, so maybe TPTB changed it so it can be blocked, however this upgrade to the transporter means as a signal, it should go both ways through a stargate?

ahh, nackered from typing!

Comment

I just think it has something to do with the stargate itself, not necessarily the wormhole itself. It's never fully explained why it's one way only. I guess we are just gonna have to speculate. You'd think that after 9 years we'd know the answer to some of these questions.

Comment

Question: what's the difference between the wormhole that a stargate makes and the wormhole that ships make?

Comment

Originally posted by o-0
                              Question: what's the difference between the wormhole that a stargate makes and the wormhole that ships make?
                              Starships don't make wormholes they travel through hyperspace. The gate makes a wormhole through sub-space. Which apparently is capable of transmitting energy but not matter.

Comment

ok...next Q: why dont the good guys use that hyperspace "wormhole" to block attacks from the ori? and why dont they make one on inside/on the ori ships to destroy them?

Comment

Working...
                                X