Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gate system was likely designed to prevent that type of thing in the first place. Baal and Nerus likely just bypassed that feature. Who knows what would happen.

There are other issues too. Like if they opened all the gates, shouldn't it have also connected to the black hole gate? And if so...then what would be the effect of the gravity waves of the gate? If they didnt dial the black hole gate...why not? The replicators have proven that they can overcome time dilation, it would be a perfect hiding place for them.

My solution: Don't think about it.
    The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
      Like if they opened all the gates, shouldn't it have also connected to the black hole gate? And if so...then what would be the effect of the gravity waves of the gate? If they didnt dial the black hole gate...why not?
      I'm pretty sure that they didn't connect to the black hole gate because (if I'm remembering correctly, which I think I am) the Aschen are already connected to it....more or less permanently. So, at least until the black hole gate is destroyed, both of their stargates are essentially locked out of the gate network. See? No problem.
      There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan
        The Stargate wouldn't allow it. The Ancients were all smart and stuff and would have programmed the gate to behave 'conservatively'. It may not have let anything through, like in Watergate.
        Sounds like the best bet. The "dialing al at once" seems more like a dianostic tool than an actual function.

Comment

I think you would go to the first gate it dials or the last in the network.
          *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
          *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
          *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
          *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
          *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
          *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
          *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

I think by definition of this situation, all the gates are dialed at the exact same time.
            SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

I don't know what would happen, but I don't think that it would make a person come out of each gate. The law of conservation of energy and mass says matter can't be created out of nowhere, yet you would be essentially turning 1 person into a thousand, or a million.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
                I'm pretty sure that they didn't connect to the black hole gate because (if I'm remembering correctly, which I think I am) the Aschen are already connected to it....more or less permanently. So, at least until the black hole gate is destroyed, both of their stargates are essentially locked out of the gate network. See? No problem.
                Which only leads to another problem. There are thousands of gates in the galaxy, all used by various races and people. Out of all of those gates, chances are at least a couple were active when they activated all the stargates.

The point I was trying to make was that the whole idea of activating the whole stargate network at the same time poses many problems.
                The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by chriswin8
                  Ok say you opened all gates at once Like they did to wipe out the Replicaters. You are basicly have 1 gate call all the rest in the Network.

Ok the question:
                  So if a human stepped through wouldn't then that person arive at all the planets in the Network Via the Gate? Becasue wouldn't the Data stream be sent to all the gates?

Forgive me i didnt have alot of time to post this. So i didnt take the time to Search.
                  This question was put to joe in his thread and he said that the persons atoms would be spread across the galaxy as some here have said. I assume from this that only energy such as radio waves or as in this case the disruptor wave will go through all the gates in tact although you would expect them to be diluted as well. So the initial wave must take account of that and be sufficiently powerful.

Comment

Also the feature that let the stargate open all at once is a dianostic tool, they use it update all the dhds corodinates at once, taking into count insteller drift, that way all the stargate remain updated.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                      I don't know what would happen, but I don't think that it would make a person come out of each gate. The law of conservation of energy and mass says matter can't be created out of nowhere, yet you would be essentially turning 1 person into a thousand, or a million.
                      WHAT? Did you think about what you are saying before you typed it. You aren't creating matter. You would be using the energy that powers the gate and transforming it into matter. You could make as many people as you want. You would just be decreasing the amount of energy.

Comment

the 'opening all gates at once' is a diagnotstic feature of the gates, the gatew were programed to update themselves every so often, and have other abilityes other then 'sending object to another planet' the dialing funtion to access all gates, if sombody walked trough, they probally just walk to the other side of the gate, they wouldn't travel to another plannet or anything.

but then again, who knows
                        Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
                        (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

My theory...hoorj!

Based upon how the energy flowed through the gates in "Reckoning Pt 2," I would say that you'd actually travel to every gate in the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
                            Which only leads to another problem. There are thousands of gates in the galaxy, all used by various races and people. Out of all of those gates, chances are at least a couple were active when they activated all the stargates.
                            I do think you were making a valid point, but I just don't think that it's as complicated as you seem to expect. I don't think this is necessarily a problem, either. It just means that the network might have coordinated itself to shut down all active wormholes as quickly/safely as possible before establishing the new connection. And since the black hole/Aschen stargates are already locked out of the system (due to time dialation and/or already being destroyed), they're not a problem either. It might not be the most obvious solution, but think it's reasonable.
                            There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

What i think is, that since the all gates is a diagnostic, update feature of the network. You can not dial all gates at once and create a wormhole as well.
                              That is the designed mode of operation.
                              To actually dial all gates at onces and open a wormhole, one needs to bypass the savety features of the system, therefore an object entering the gate you be scattered across all gates since the savety is disengaged.

Comment

sam said when they got the first iris it was 3 micro meters from the event horizon, it doesnt even allow matter to fully rematerialize
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X