No announcement yet.

Why is there a Point of Origin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the number 7 was special to the Ancients. in many cultures to day the number 7 is a sacred number.
    sigpic

Comment

It's simple.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...oordinates.svg

Look at it. That's the reason why there is a Point of Origin

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
      Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
      The Chevron Team
      Spoiler:
      Never make everything Organic!
      Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
      :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
      :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
      :The drones are heading towards us.
      :Those drones look familiar...
      : SQUID?!?
      We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

Maybe also it is because every wormhole is particular. To send someone to Abydos or Dakara you need different amount of energy. So with the PoO and the destination, the Stargate/DHD combined system calculate how much.

As for the reason why the PoO is the last to be input is surely because there is no need to try to open a wormhole without a stargate at the destination (for the safety of travelers?). It means also that the combined system know the exact location of the gates at any time as well as their ability to open or not a wormhole (the SG must not be buried or blocked).

Impressive!
        La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
        L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

because "chevron 6 locked sounds rubbish"
          Perhaps Puff

Comment

And 7 is luckier than 6, anyway.

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
            Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
            The Chevron Team
            Spoiler:
            Never make everything Organic!
            Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
            :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
            :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
            :The drones are heading towards us.
            :Those drones look familiar...
            : SQUID?!?
            We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

Because a phone is connected to a central component so it goes to there and then it moves from there to the target but a wormhole is like a tunnel, it needs to start somewhere.
              SIGN THE PETITION: http://www.savesgu.tv/petitions/mult...-sgu-petition/
              LIKE THE FACEBOOK PAGE: http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU
              READ THE PLAN: http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...aving-Stargate
              Spread the word! Save the gate!

Comment

maybe.....Think with me....if you dial a gate without the origin point, the destination gate doesn't know where you came from...The wormhole would be damaged, or too large or something like that....knowing the Origin, you know the smallest way there and the way with the least number of obstacles possible. Because, even in a wormhole, you're in the space...imagine if there is a planet in the way...It may be a problem....
                Hello Guys! Sorry for any Writing errors. I'm Brazilian and don't know english....XD~~

Comment

I never got why they didn't just make the center button act as the POO as well.
                  Originally posted by Craig Charles
                  "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

There is no point to having 7 symbols. In fact you only need 3 coordinates in order to describe the location of anywhere in the universe. To draw a straight line between two points you need the 3 coordinates of both points. In the film they say you need 6 coordinates for the destination and one for the start point, that makes no sense. Try and draw a line between (1) and (2,4,12,38,63,49), it's impossible. Give me (X,Y,Z) and I can tell you where you are. Since I know where I am, I can send someone to find you. Three symbols and a universally common reference point is all you need to dial a stargate.

Comment

yes, but since the number of star systems is limited, and they might be at different points then where you want them to be, so you ant just pick any 3 points

Comment

...well me again ^^

for the center button: That is the point of origin Button (have you ever seen daniel or someone look up the origin symbol before dialing home....i guess not, except for the film (which was later mostly disregarded)....so you would enter the origin code via the DHD's red button)

Greetings LAX
                        ps: you need something to come from in order to direct a wormhole to another point in space

Comment

I think this might explain it;

If no PoO was used while manually dialling then, let's say that you dial an address. If you want to dial an other galaxy you have to input 6 symbols before number 7, without a PoO how does the gate know that the 6 symbols isn't the address & create a wormhole before the 7th symbol is encoded.

Does that help?
                          Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

The Stargate on Earth could be on Pluto, Mercury, or the Moon, and someone dialing to our stargate would still be able to activate it.

The Point of Origin symbol is specific to the gate being used and nothing else. Not even the planet of origin. The Earth PoO symbol is specific to the gate on Earth, not the planet. If the gate were taken to another star system, it would still be valid. The only difference is, that if you moved the gate you would need to figure out what the new return address would be, because the old one would be invalid because the gate would no longer be in the Solar system.

Actually if the gate were to be move to any other planet in our solar system someone dialing our gate would not be able to activate it as its coordinates would have shifted by a few million/billion miles

As for the point of origin it is stored in both the DHD's and the Gate and is what lets the other DHD' in the network to know its new coordinates during an Update. This allows the DHD at the other end to confirm the coordinates of the incoming wormhole and help to stabilize the connection.

I don't know if my attachment worked but if so here is a explanation of the reason for six symbols.
                            sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Not true! Research what you're saying before saying it.
                              Originally posted by Craig Charles
                              "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

You must have a central component in a coordinate system.

Comment

Working...
                                X