This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wandering Tamer
    I don't think we could incorperate Ancient tech into ours just yet because it's so advanced. I think we should stick with Go'auld tech. As of "The Rising" we haven't been able to even intergrate our technology with the Ancients, so ancient tech is completely out.
    Heck, we're having enough trouble getting the Asgard stuff to work on a regular basis. Some of the technologies we're trying to use are so advanced it's not funny. Though we're making progress, Naquadah based technologies are still suffering hiccups (like the Prometheus's Naquadah hyperdrive).

Comment

After seeing that in Atlantis there is an Asgard adviser on the Dedalus (how ever u spell it sorry) is that going to be like the way startrek had to have 1 Volcan on each ship of the Federation. If so I think its a good idea but it might make the shows less intresting in a way.. because think of HOW advanced the Asgard are and there minds are just crazy compared to us.. I know the writers wont do it but technicly speaking every time they have a problem they can just look over there sholder and say ( to the asgard) what should we do? and he/she will come up with this crazy elaberate way to solve problem..

Soo just wondering.. i think it would be great though and now that from what we hear about Season 9 SG-1 how the US is putting more money towards Phormethus class Starships It would be awsome if they made it a rule that a Asgard Advisor be on any Earth made Warship

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

It would be useful but i think they have there own problems to deal with.
        i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

Originally posted by tony
          After seeing that in Atlantis there is an Asgard adviser on the Dedalus (how ever u spell it sorry) is that going to be like the way startrek had to have 1 Volcan on each ship of the Federation. If so I think its a good idea but it might make the shows less intresting in a way.. because think of HOW advanced the Asgard are and there minds are just crazy compared to us.. I know the writers wont do it but technicly speaking every time they have a problem they can just look over there sholder and say ( to the asgard) what should we do? and he/she will come up with this crazy elaberate way to solve problem..

Soo just wondering.. i think it would be great though and now that from what we hear about Season 9 SG-1 how the US is putting more money towards Phormethus class Starships It would be awsome if they made it a rule that a Asgard Advisor be on any Earth made Warship
          Okay... first off, the Federation did NOT have a Vulcan on every spaceship. In the TOS, there was only one Vulcan in all of Starfleet, and he was on the Enterprise. Later on the Vulcans were scattered all over the place at Random. There was one ship that had an all Vulcan crew. Vulcans are just one of the many member species of the Federation. They aren't that special. Particularly, they aren't more advanced than humans, just different. They really especially aren't like the Asgard-smart in relation to humans. They'd also be very below the Asgard in terms of intelligence, and technology.

Secondly, Hermiod is a special case. He is on board the Dadealus as the Navigator (and he probably has other roles, but that is his primary job). The ONLY reason he is there, is because of Atlantis. It's REALLY far away, so they need the best navigators they can get. It is extremely unlikely that any more Asgard will be stationed on other Earth ships anytime soon.

Thirdly, they aren't "Prometheus" class ships. They are "Dadealus" class ships. The Prometheus was a prototype, not a class-setter. It was a test-bed for new alien technologies, that was pressed into service because of neccessity. The Dadealus is the first fully realized Starship of the Line. It is it's own Class, and the ships coming after it will be of the Dadealus class, not redux's of the Prometheus.

Besides all that, yeah, I agree it is cool to have an Asgard on Atlantis.
          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

It also could be that since the Asgard were allies of the Anceints they probably know more about ancenit tech. than our people in atlantis. He could find and explain all the unfound technology in Atlantis.
            sigpic
            Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Is having Asgard help on our ships really that great? Think back to Disclosure and Memento - the Asgard give us some nice new weapons and shields for our ship, both of which go down on its next journey. Also, why give us weapons when whenever we try to fly anywhere, it goes wrong and catapults us somewhere else due to the instability of Naqaudria, surely they could have done something about that.

Also, the Prometheus' shields were still unable to stand up to many weapons, making teh Asgard's help even less useful.

And don't forget that the Asgard have accomplished very little during the first 8 seasons other than recruting our help to do various things.
              * Always remember - You are unique, just like everyone else. *

* Avoid employing unlucky people, throw half of the CVs in the bin without reading them. *

Lost City, Part 2 - The Gateworld best ep S1-7

The 'Everyone Gets A Compliment' Thread

Comment

Originally posted by da_hippie
                Is having Asgard help on our ships really that great? Think back to Disclosure and Memento - the Asgard give us some nice new weapons and shields for our ship, both of which go down on its next journey. Also, why give us weapons when whenever we try to fly anywhere, it goes wrong and catapults us somewhere else due to the instability of Naqaudria, surely they could have done something about that.

Also, the Prometheus' shields were still unable to stand up to many weapons, making teh Asgard's help even less useful.

And don't forget that the Asgard have accomplished very little during the first 8 seasons other than recruting our help to do various things.
                I think you have your events somewhat confused. That screwed up trip because of the Naquadria was with a human built hyperdrive... not the later Asgard Hyperdrive the Prometheus (and later the Dadealus) got. The shields have actually done a pretty good job. They've stood up against Anubis super ship's weapons. They've also withstood a completely unkown alien attack. I haven't seen the weapons do much yet, but I imagine this friday we'll get to see some Asgard weaponry on the Dadealus.
                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

besides, the Asgard who goes might get to see Atlantis and some ancient technology. That alone might have it's appeal to the Asgard. And Sam did say the Deadelus had more advanced tech intergrated into it.
                  'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

You have to remember that they arent really that smart SG1 has saved them numerous times
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                      You have to remember that they arent really that smart SG1 has saved them numerous times
                      I agree with that. I don't think it's that the Asgard as a race are smarter, it's that any single Asgard likely has thousands of years of knowledge and experience. This fact is also their downfall. Having the same minds to work with over thousands of years isn't exactly the impetus for new ideas and progress so their alliance with humans is probably the best thing that has happened to them in a couple thousand years. By helping us they save themselves and vice versa.

I don't think we need to see any more Asgard than we already do involved in Earth affairs. I think if we see them too often they might just get a little dull.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                        Okay... first off, the Federation did NOT have a Vulcan on every spaceship. In the TOS, there was only one Vulcan in all of Starfleet, and he was on the Enterprise. Later on the Vulcans were scattered all over the place at Random. There was one ship that had an all Vulcan crew. Vulcans are just one of the many member species of the Federation. They aren't that special. Particularly, they aren't more advanced than humans, just different. They really especially aren't like the Asgard-smart in relation to humans. They'd also be very below the Asgard in terms of intelligence, and technology.

Secondly, Hermiod is a special case. He is on board the Dadealus as the Navigator (and he probably has other roles, but that is his primary job). The ONLY reason he is there, is because of Atlantis. It's REALLY far away, so they need the best navigators they can get. It is extremely unlikely that any more Asgard will be stationed on other Earth ships anytime soon.

Thirdly, they aren't "Prometheus" class ships. They are "Dadealus" class ships. The Prometheus was a prototype, not a class-setter. It was a test-bed for new alien technologies, that was pressed into service because of neccessity. The Dadealus is the first fully realized Starship of the Line. It is it's own Class, and the ships coming after it will be of the Dadealus class, not redux's of the Prometheus.

Besides all that, yeah, I agree it is cool to have an Asgard on Atlantis.

Hey buddy im no Startrek Buff as you are but let me tell you something.. the Newest Startrek Series (being the first Human ships of Startrek going into space) the female Volcan that was on the ship said the first show of the first season that it would be Protical for a Volcan to be on EVERY Human ship... soo SHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh

and besides your devating from what im accually talking about... and im just ASKING if than on all the Dadealus CLASS ships will all have an Asgard in them! thats alll buddy RELAX!

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Agreed. For those who are confused, look at it like this. The USS Enterprise was the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier, CVN-65. The USS Nimitz, CVN-67 was the class setter and now has I believe around 10 ships in it's class. Each one, of course, is somewhat newer and better than the last. The hull designs aren't even identical, that got changed along the way too. But to date, all the subsequent carriers have been considered part of the Nimitz class.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
                            Hey buddy im no Startrek Buff as you are but let me tell you something.. the Newest Startrek Series (being the first Human ships of Startrek going into space) the female Volcan that was on the ship said the first show of the first season that it would be Protical for a Volcan to be on EVERY Human ship... soo SHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh

and besides your devating from what im accually talking about... and im just ASKING if than on all the Dadealus CLASS ships will all have an Asgard in them! thats alll buddy RELAX!
                            LOL Maybe my post seemed a little more 'excited' than I meant it to be. I was just trying to be informative... not anal.

On ST: Enterprise, there was only one Vulcan on a Starfleet vessel there too... There were other Starfleet ships (just no Warp 5 ships), and none of them had any Vulcans on board. Also, when they finally commissioned the second Warp 5 ship, it didn't have a Vulcan either. It was a rare thing. The only reason T'Pol stayed, was because Capt. Archer asked her to.

'meanwhile, back on stargate'... No, I believe that Hermiod is a very special case also. He will act as a Navigator (humans having very little experiance navigating intergalactic space) and might serve occaisonlly in other roles, but it's only because of Atlantis. The rest of the Earth ships will very likely not have any Asgard at all.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                              Agreed. For those who are confused, look at it like this. The USS Enterprise was the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier, CVN-65. The USS Nimitz, CVN-67 was the class setter and now has I believe around 10 ships in it's class. Each one, of course, is somewhat newer and better than the last. The hull designs aren't even identical, that got changed along the way too. But to date, all the subsequent carriers have been considered part of the Nimitz class.
                              Though the more recent ships have improvements, they still follow the basic construction plan of the Nimitz. The changes are considered too minor to justify an entirely new class of ships. I think in the future though, they will probably have to make a new class of ships. Especially if they start using EM Rail Catapults, and Rail-guns. Along with other improvements.
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Though the more recent ships have improvements, they still follow the basic construction plan of the Nimitz. The changes are considered too minor to justify an entirely new class of ships. I think in the future though, they will probably have to make a new class of ships. Especially if they start using EM Rail Catapults, and Rail-guns. Along with other improvements.
                                Oh, they will. No doubt about it. I was just making a parallel between the Enterprise/Nimitz and the Prometheus/Daedalus situations. Actually, I belive they have now started construction on the 10th and final Nimitz class carrier, CVN-77, which is, itself, something of a hybrid to the CVX carriers.

The next generation of carriers are going to be really awesome, IMHO. The design is being made such that we may still have carriers built to that basic design in operation at the end of the 22nd century, meaning they will have been in production for almost 150 years! (at least according to one site I found).
                                Here's a nice article on them at Popular Mechanics. Some of the features being looked at.
                                • Steam catapults (6% efficient) replaced with electromagnetic ones (70% efficient.
                                • Nuclear steam engines replaced with turbine-electric powerplants driving superconducting electric motors
                                • Much more Stealthy
                                • Smaller and faster

But, eh, we digress.

Comment

Working...
                                X