Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure how true that is V-man there was a thread on this forum not to long ago where someone (granted he/she might not have known what they where talking about) was saying that nukes don’t need an atmosphere to have its max ability’s granted I have no idea either way you could be right as well I just remember reading it and he seemed to know what he was talking about but like I said I don’t know either way!

and with this thread I don’t think it really matters how big our ships are.... the size wont make a difference because our weapon straight would be the same either way... granted BattleStars gotta be HUGE in comparason maybe as large as a hive ship i mean how many people does a daedalus class hold in it 150 160? A BattleStar holds over 2,000 that’s a HUGE difference

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Originally posted by tony
      I am not sure how true that is V-man there was a thread on this forum not to long ago where someone (granted he/she might not have known what they where talking about) was saying that nukes don’t need an atmosphere to have its max ability’s granted I have no idea either way you could be right as well I just remember reading it and he seemed to know what he was talking about but like I said I don’t know either way!

and with this thread I don’t think it really matters how big our ships are.... the size wont make a difference because our weapon straight would be the same either way... granted BattleStars gotta be HUGE in comparason maybe as large as a hive ship i mean how many people does a daedalus class hold in it 150 160? A BattleStar holds over 2,000 that’s a HUGE difference
      Most of the damage that a nuke does comes from fire and the 300mph plus winds it causes right after it goes off. Neither of which you will get in space. That other person was talking rubbish it seems dude .

A Nimitz class carrier has a crew of around 5000 yet it's smaller than the daedalus. The latter must be much more effiecient in it's use of man power or it's designed for much shorter missions.

Comment

Nukes in space are less effective then inside an atmosphere, but they are still very destructive, if they go up close enough for the target:

Distance Energie per cm^2 of

100m
        1KT = 3,3x10^3 J
        1MT = 3,3x10^6 J
        1GT = 3,3x10^9 J
        1TT = 3,3x10^12 J

1000m
        1KT = 3,3x10^1 J
        1MT = 3,3x10^4 J
        1GT = 3,3x10^7 J
        1TT = 3,3x10^10 J

10000m
        1KT = 3,3x10^-1 J
        1MT = 3,3x10^2 J
        1GT = 3,3x10^5 J
        1TT = 3,3x10^8 J

Comment

the deadalus has fit all the power systems and shield tech on board not just personell...i dont know...thats a big of news! 5000 ppl on one ship...thats...impressive!
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

Why do they need bigger ships? Are they in need of transports? Why would anyone want to build a fleet of intergalactic Titanics?

Size only matters to a point. Too big a ship and you won't even be able to land on a planet. Modern warships aren't really that much bigger than say, WW2 ships, but they are much more powerful.

The effectiveness of any modern warship depend on a few factors: tactic, range and accuracy of engagment, maneuverability, and weapon strength.

One thing to consider when it comes to size of Wraith mothership is that they are basically cargo containers storing thousands upon thousands of wraith. It has no bearing on how effective they are in battle.

Comment

Comparing a supercarrier to a BC-303 isn't exactly fair. The BC-303 doesn't exactly have an atmosphere to take their O2 from

Comment

Ronald Reagan deserved a ship named after him. Some people don't like him, but I love the man (platonically of course). I thought he was a great president, and for those that think he was scandal-ridden, ALL presidents had scandals.
                http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

I don't think the Earth ships need to be bigger, but they definitely need better weapons. In "Beachead" when the Ha'taks were shooting down on the force field with their energy weapons, I almost started laughing when the Prommie shot some dinky missiles out. And I don't even see the logic in using railguns against ships that have shields. I don't care if they just steal the weapons off of an Al'kesh or Ha'tak, but the Earth ships really need some better armaments.
                  MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
                    I don't think the Earth ships need to be bigger, but they definitely need better weapons. In "Beachead" when the Ha'taks were shooting down on the force field with their energy weapons, I almost started laughing when the Prommie shot some dinky missiles out. And I don't even see the logic in using railguns against ships that have shields. I don't care if they just steal the weapons off of an Al'kesh or Ha'tak, but the Earth ships really need some better armaments.
                    Throwing high-velocity, solid shells at a shield does damage. A lot of it actually. Our railguns just aren't big enough to matter.

Comment

bigger guns won't help that much
                      because they take much more power
                      which means less power to the shields
                      if you look at wraith/asgard ships
                      the generators alone are like 3 times the size of our ships
                      bigger ships means more power

Comment

Originally posted by Brickster
                        Throwing high-velocity, solid shells at a shield does damage. A lot of it actually. Our railguns just aren't big enough to matter.
                        Bullets were ineffective against the Goa'uld personal shield. I doubt railguns would be much different against a Ha'tak's shields. And considering a Ha'tak's shields can withstand a pretty good beating by another Ha'tak's energy weapons, I seriously don't think bullets the size of someone's fist are going to be wearing them down anytime soon. Another example: In "The Serpent's Lair", Earth's 'Goa'uld Busters' dealt a blow of over 1000 megatons. But all they did was cause the ship to shudder when they impacted the shields. If that's all they could do, there is no way a bunch of miniscule bullets could have any measurable effect.
                        MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Bullets were ineffective against the Goa'uld personal shield. I doubt railguns would be much different against a Ha'tak's shields. And considering a Ha'tak's shields can withstand a pretty good beating by another Ha'tak's energy weapons, I seriously don't think bullets the size of someone's fist are going to be wearing them down anytime soon. Another example: In "The Serpent's Lair", Earth's 'Goa'uld Busters' dealt a blow of over 1000 megatons. But all they did was cause the ship to shudder when they impacted the shields. If that's all they could do, there is no way a bunch of miniscule bullets could have any measurable effect.
                          True, the Main Railguns[not the riny point defense] are shown in the Atalntis finale and they seem to be far larger than the puny peashooters...

Comment

Another example: In "The Serpent's Lair", Earth's 'Goa'uld Busters' dealt a blow of over 1000 megatons. But all they did was cause the ship to shudder when they impacted the shields. If that's all they could do, there is no way a bunch of miniscule bullets could have any measurable effect.

The missiles did not detonate, they impacted the shields prior to detonation.
                            And with a railgun, all that realy matters is speed.

Comment

Originally posted by garoquel
                              I though the US named its ships after famous battles, cities, states and or people ( presidents, admirals, ect. ) but then again thats Navy tradition and these ships are being exclusively manned by the Air Force, although it would be interesting to gauge the reaction of the Navy brass seeing the airforce encroaching on their turf.
                              In real life... but this is Sci-Fi and its SPACE. NASA names its ships after Greek myths. The Daedalous in real life is actually an exploration satellite. Then you have the Apollo missions; Apollo was the Greek Sun Titan.

Other shows like Babylon 5 have named Earth's ships after Greek myths and legends. For example:
                              Heracles
                              Agamemnon
                              Achilles
                              Hydra
                              and so forth...
                              But looking back at Babylon 5... I think those were the names of North American Consortium built ships. Because the Russian Consortium appears to make their own vessels. Sounds like what StarGate is becoming into!
                              http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                              http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by valha'lla
                                I know the promie cost 7 billion to develop but i think ull find that every european country at the discolsure table will build at least one BC-303 on its own. After all considering u have a modle to work on the Russians said they could do it at half the cost so ud probaly c at least 2 produced by every country.
                                some sweet names there,

Comment

Working...
                                X