This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freyr's mother
    Both the size of the ship matters and the size of the weapon matter. Take for example, a railgun shooting at a dart. Take that same railgun and shoot it at a hiveship. It does relatively little damage to the hive ship but completely destroys the dart. Say we had Asgard energy weapons on our ships. We wouldnt be able to target an individual dart, but we could however, target the bigger capital ships. Both matter.

Yea, what he said, lol

Comment

We only need a few classes of ships. Something to carry cargo and personel between galaxys, a large carrier class to carry 50 or so 302s and a heavily armoured and armed battleship to protect them and take some hits form the enemy. They don't need to be large as this would need more energy to shield them and more material to build a thiker hull. Also they would be a larger target
      aka paddytehpyro

Comment

Size only matters when you wish to intimidate your enemy, or carry large amounts of troops/cargo/other ships. Besides, if you think about it, earth has plenty of large ships. If Earth wants a Ha'tak, they only need to steal them from the Lucian Alliance (No, it wouldn't be difficult. Just deactivate the shields using the disrupter technology, and beam the crew to a nearby planet). Plus their is Atlantis.
        You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

then how do you exlpain the oniels?
          the asgard have ships that are like 30x the size of a hatak, that about 70x the size of the promthius and 2000x time the size of a PJ..but are manned by one asgard.
          the asgard dont need to carry large numbers nor do they need to intimidate the enemy. so why the overkill on size?
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

Welll, maybe they try to overcompensate for something

Technology has certainly a size limitation, to achive a desired effect a certain size of the effect generation mechanismus is needed.
            So, yes size does matter, but only if the technology level is the same.
            If the tech level differs size is going to matter less.
            See for exampel a 386 CPU and a Opteron, basicaly the sam e outward size, very different on the inside. Or a ZPM and a coal powerplant.

However, stuff like explosives when following stric real physics size does matter, since in real life there is a hard limit on how much energie a certain amount of mass can produce.

So it depends on the actual application in question if size matters.

Comment

small ships make smaller targets its harder to hit a small ship than a big ship

Comment

not really, if a plamsa bolt is larger than the ship itself, aim and fire you cant really miss...plus if your that advanced you hsould really of have invetned the scope by then.
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                11000! green me

Comment

Am i the only one who finds it a bit strange that the daedalus doesnt use its missles. i know that they were inaffective in the siege 3 as they were intercepted by the darts but still they could just drop out of hyperspace and fire off a fue missles befor the darts have a chance to launce. its all very well giving the order for 'all forward railguns to open fire' but why arnt they using there most powerfull weapons which are the missles?

Comment

because the missiles are...actually your right! if they are nukes sohuldnt the explode and take out the fleet of darts clearing the skys fro all the other nukes? they just need a proximity fuse...
                    sigpic
                    11000! green me

Comment

oh yea theres that as well i didnt think of that. just because it hits a dart and not a hive doesnt change the fact that its a nuke. maby the missles they were firing in the siege 3 wernt nukes. still stupid tactics tho.

Comment

omg they could beam a space mine in the centre of the darts fleet, that is a nuke.
                        then the dartw would be unable to intercept and they just nuke the hives with missiles, rail guns, nukes and whatever else is lying around...
                        sigpic
                        11000! green me

Comment

im not realy sure how the jamming tec works tho, is it that the daedalus cant use the beeming tec at all or is it that it cant penatrate a hive. either way it probably wouldnt effect how the battles go, they always seem to try something and if it doesnt work just give up on it.

Comment

I though the US named its ships after famous battles, cities, states and or people ( presidents, admirals, ect. ) but then again thats Navy tradition and these ships are being exclusively manned by the Air Force, although it would be interesting to gauge the reaction of the Navy brass seeing the airforce encroaching on their turf.

Comment

I think that the first ship in the next class should be called The Pandergast. After all he is a hero. I know that Hammond should have one named after him but it does not sound as good.
                              aka paddytehpyro

Comment

Originally posted by JRPR
                                Am i the only one who finds it a bit strange that the daedalus doesnt use its missles. i know that they were inaffective in the siege 3 as they were intercepted by the darts but still they could just drop out of hyperspace and fire off a fue missles befor the darts have a chance to launce. its all very well giving the order for 'all forward railguns to open fire' but why arnt they using there most powerfull weapons which are the missles?
                                Nukes arn't as effective when you let them off in a vacuum, it's mostly a pretty light show with lots of x-rays/gamma rays. I agree tho they should be at least trying to use them, pretty light show or not it's still more effective than them poxy pea shooters they call railguns.

Comment

Working...
                                X