X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nero
    Simple summary here:
    As a ship designed to fight Ha'taks, it is woefully inadequate! Its Weapons are unable to penetrate sheilds, so how is it ment to take out enemy ships?

Pure design failure.
    Except that we don't actually know that at all do we? The Daedalus has never gone up against Ha'tak's. We are assuming that since the Goa'uld upgraded their shield technology after Anubis' reign that we wont be able to affect them but we don't know that for certain. The shields are strong yes, but they aren't as strong as the Ancients shields themselves. They are just enhanced versions of the old goa'uld shields. For all we know the Daedalus might take out Ha'tak's in a couple seconds. We can not claim it is a true design failure until we actually see it go up against the Goa'uld in the nature that it was intended to.

Comment

spoilers for season 9 off the grid. Note edited because when rewatching noticed I made a small error by mistaking something I heard.

Spoiler:
      Well in this episode the oddessey (new earth daedalus ship) went into action against hat'aks. Note however the oddessey was not 100% opperational (was 90 something percent) and did not have time to test if there shields were operational. 3 lucian allance hat'aks fired on the oddessey.The oddessey shields lowered 11% during that short time(fixed) so shield strength was at 89% not 11% . Note however Baals hatak was virused and shields were down at first when the 3 lucian hataks attacked him at first. Once Baals ship had it's shields up it did not take that long for it's shields to be lowered when the lucian alliance hataks fired on it. The oddessey only fired main rail guns. No attempt to fire missles at any of the hataks. The oddessey was not expecting a fire fight and only only thought they would have to deal baal hatak which was virused and had most sytems out of order (like weapons, shields, sensors). I believe I heard during the short time the oddessey was firing at the lead lucian alliance hatak minor damage was reported to the hatak. Personaly it did decent job considering it 3 hataks were attacking it.
      Last edited by jburrows; 10 February 2006, 07:56 PM.
      http://www.stargatetechworld.com/gif...f302launch.gif

Comment

Originally posted by jburrows
        spoilers for season 9 off the grid

Spoiler:
        Well in this episode the oddessey (new earth daedalus ship) went into action against hat'aks. Note however the oddessey was not 100% opperational (was 90 something percent) and did not have time to test if there shields were operational. 3 lucian allance hat'aks fired on the oddessey.The oddessey shields quickly lowered to 10%. Note however Baals hatak was virused and shields were down at first when the 3 lucian hataks attacked him at first. Once Baals ship had it's shields up it did not take that long for it's shields to be lowered when the lucian alliance hataks fired on it. The oddessey only fired main rail guns. No attempt to fire missles at any of the hataks. The oddessey was not expecting a fire fight and only only thought they would have to deal baal hatak which was virused and had most sytems out of order (like weapons, shields, sensors). I believe I heard during the short time the oddessey was firing at the lead lucian alliance hatak minor damage was reported to the hatak. Personaly it did decent job considering it 3 hataks were attacking it.
        Yeah if she was fully operational we would likely have seen some missles in play, I doubt she was fully loaded though and didnt have any missles on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
          From what we've seen in Stargate Atalantis thus far the Daedalus has proven itself to be less than effective against Wraith warships when engaging them with its actual weapons. It was able to destroy them briefly by means of using its teleporter to deliver warheads past their defences but now that that gap has been sealed its ability to even threaten a Wraith ship is seriously in question.

Currently it's been for the most part delegated to the role of a cargo ship running supplies back and forth between Earth and Atlantis. In those rare occasions when it is called upon to perform its primary design function as a warship its unable to damage its Wraith adversary with any of its conventional weapons.

Based on this then is it essentially a design failure as a warship?

Does its performance against its enemies justify the added resources, ship volume and expense that went into things like 302 hangers, railguns and missiles tubes.

The people who built the Daedalus set out to create a warship capable of fighting it out with Earth's enemies. In your opinion did they succeed, or did they just waste a lot of resources building an over-glorified cargo ship that's largely useless for actual combat?
          i don't think so, the main role of the x-303 was to defend earth, that means shooting at mutiple targets and hold it's position and defend. that's were the railguns come in handie. the same can be said about the Daedalus and the Odyssey, there primary fighting roles are to hold a position against mutli targets and lanuch fighters. as can be shown in the sg1 ep. off the grid the odyssey held a position between 3 motherships and a hatuk. the odyssey fired it's railguns at all three ships. although the fire was slpit 3 ways the over all fire power of 1 min of constant fire would be the same a one single super shot from anubis super ship that destroyed the ships that attacked him, but the relative lower power shots added up in the end. railguns + missiles add up to a big punch in my opinion. besides the asg. will be more helpful in the future to help the tari' develop a weapon system, as they have helped in a shield and hyperdrive tech.

btw if your looking for a fighting ship, thats when u call the asgard to fight your space battles unless it's the repclators.
          Last edited by zpm!!; 10 February 2006, 07:09 PM.

Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
          pps = power per second
          The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
          xfire = zpm
          [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
          http://m2kclan.com
          vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
          port: 3785
          P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
          halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
          Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Originally posted by jburrows
            spoilers for season 9 off the grid. Note edited because when rewatching noticed I made a small error by mistaking something I heard.
            I haven't seen off the grid yet but if this Ha'tak fight plays out the way it seems to me from your description it would seem to justify the Daedalus class as a useful combat platform against Goa'uld ships which would mean it's not a design failure unless you interpret its role as "defending Earth from all alien threats". It would also seem to point to Wraith ships being somewhat better than Goa'uld ones but that's a topic for another thread.

Comment

listen, it's the best they have, and they use it to the best of their ablitly.
              as more are produced changes will be made, the command deck of the oydessy is a little different from the daedalus command deck. everytime u build a new ship, a upgrade is made in some way or form.

Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
              pps = power per second
              The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
              xfire = zpm
              [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
              http://m2kclan.com
              vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
              port: 3785
              P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
              halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
              Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

As we all know in the recent ep 'Ethon'
                Spoiler:
                Prometheus was blow up!

I think we should now build a new BC-303, named 'Epimetheus" as a tribute.
                In Greek myth Epimetheus was Prometheus brother.

Also in Greek myth Deucalion was Prometheus' son so what about a smaller ship name 'Deucalion'

What say you?
                The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
                Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

Spoiler:
                  There's a Russian BC-303, named the Korelev, being build instead.

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                    Well thats true, good point about the power, but the shields themselves would still resist the beam the same for both, the Asgard would just be able to sustain it longer. Given that the beam cut right through the shields like they werent even there I think it operates in such a way that it cuts right through them regardless of the strength, maybe something with frequencies? I know, Im rationalizing, Ill stop now....
                    Yeah I was thinking that as well about how the beam cut through the shields so easily, when the first beam hit the X-303 the shields seemed to be still up but with the beam passing through them if you get my drift so perhaps like you say the way the beam works it cannot be stopped by the shields as they are.

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Well, now we have the Odyssey, but we may be getting more ships soon. We'll see.

The P90, the backbone of the Tuari.

Spoiler:
                      I hate you...

Comment

Originally posted by V-MAN
                        Yeah I was thinking that as well about how the beam cut through the shields so easily, when the first beam hit the X-303 the shields seemed to be still up but with the beam passing through them if you get my drift so perhaps like you say the way the beam works it cannot be stopped by the shields as they are.
                        Yeah they never said the shields even feel, the tech said that it passed through like they weren't even there. Im wondering if this has something to do with the relation of the Agard to the Ancients. They were allied and probably shared tech and therefore followed somilar technological paths. Since the Ori are familiar with the Ancients base technology they can developed weapons to pass right through.

Comment

SPOILERS (Highlight below to read):[/COLOR]the guys in sg1 did said in season 10 the earth's fleet was going to be larger.

Comment

I can't wait to see an entire fleet of Tauri vessels.

Comment

Yeah, we really do need more of those.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                                Yeah if she was fully operational we would likely have seen some missles in play, I doubt she was fully loaded though and didnt have any missles on board.
                                the weapons officer said shields down by 11% not down to 11%...the shields were still at 89% effeciency

Comment

Working...
                                X