Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The revision on black holes was as recent as two years ago. I may not understand fully how Hawking Radiation works, but I do know that even if matter went into a black hole and it went out the other side, it would be so condensed that it would barely be matter.

As for when I said a sub-atomic link, I mean for the stargates. They link to each other and send matter via it's most basic state. Energy and particles. Energy can pass either way because energy isn't made up of matter particles but rather just the pureist form of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Myst_Lore
      The revision on black holes was as recent as two years ago. I may not understand fully how Hawking Radiation works, but I do know that even if matter went into a black hole and it went out the other side, it would be so condensed that it would barely be matter.

As for when I said a sub-atomic link, I mean for the stargates. They link to each other and send matter via it's most basic state. Energy and particles. Energy can pass either way because energy isn't made up of matter particles but rather just the pureist form of energy.
      No, the Stargate transmits only energy through the wormhole. Matter is not reduced to its' most basic state it is converted into energy, through the process reffered to as dematerialization, then converted back into matter at the event horizon of the recieving Stargate based on a scan taken of the matter down to the subatomic level (possibly further) through the process reffered to as rematerialization.

Owen Macri

Comment

yeh - owen is right. The reason that the stargate can't send matter both ways is - i guess - a safety precaution. The gates were designed for the use of humanoid lifeforms, and life forms cant pass through each other, so putting them in a situation where thay might possible collide either in the wormhole or coming out either end would be bad. However, some electromagnetic radiation can pass through you, ie, radiowaves, microwaves, etc, so it's ok to let them pass both ways. as they won't collide and cause problems. The stuff that won't go through you generally doesn't cause a problem anyway, ie, hitting visible light never hurt anyone (except is weird situations, but in general...).

All matter is is basically condensation of lots of energy. so the most basic form is energy. If the wormhole shut down and the energy was still going through, the energy then reverts bach to its natural form (48 hours). In the case of an element - no one cares, but for ppl it's a bad idea.

Anyway, that's my idea. It's a litttle hard to explain, but i think you get the general idea.
        "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

It's Sci Fi, they have creative liscense. It doesn't have to make complete sense, just like the Yamato Cannon on StarCraft. The description tries to say that the device creates a mangetic field that focuses an atomic explosion into a "cohesive beam of energy." Its a bunch of bull. I've heard of electrons be focused into beam's for satalite killing lasers ("Star Wars" tech, not the movies).

Comment

Originally posted by cozzerob
            yeh - owen is right. The reason that the stargate can't send matter both ways is - i guess - a safety precaution. The gates were designed for the use of humanoid lifeforms, and life forms cant pass through each other, so putting them in a situation where thay might possible collide either in the wormhole or coming out either end would be bad. However, some electromagnetic radiation can pass through you, ie, radiowaves, microwaves, etc, so it's ok to let them pass both ways. as they won't collide and cause problems. The stuff that won't go through you generally doesn't cause a problem anyway, ie, hitting visible light never hurt anyone (except is weird situations, but in general...).
            That's doubtful. Given that anything passing through the wormhole dematerializes upon crossing the event horizon, collision would be unlikely and would only occur between particles, most likely sending the proper amount of energy to each gate anyway.

One theory I've heard was that there was a 'current' of mass particles from one end to the other that somehow did not affect photons, though I really don't know the actual physics of why this would be the case. there is the black hole entry / white hole exit theory of wormholes, but Ive never seen an example in the show of the exit point 'repelling' anything (plus, that would make radio and other electromagetic waves go one way as well)

Comment

Actaully the problem would more be if someone where to start exiting after someone had started to enter, they would act like an iris, and the exiter would not be rematerialized.

Also it is possible that the information being sent may be skattered with other information while it is in transit, as well, the energy particles may bounce off of each other in mid transit, causing them to scatter in diffrent dirrections, possibly disallowing dematerialization on both sides due to indufficient energy.

Owen Macri

Comment

Thank you owen - that is exactly what I was trying to say.
                "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Working...
                X