X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive already seen that but thanks anway

Comment

Yes, the Stargates do not use white holes and black holes, they use artificially stabilised trasversable wormholes, then the Stargates create event horizons to de and rematerialize matter.

Owen Macri

Comment

So does the stargate create the negative ("exotic") matter to keep the wormhole open? All wormholes have to be artifically stabilized as they would blink out the moment they appeared otherwise as they are too unstable.
        "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs

Originally posted by captain_kirk999
          Real wormholes would also not break apart our particles, so there would be some kind of experience, though the speed we would be travelling would pull apart our bodies.
          More technobabble. Real world wormholes vary so much in their makeup and constitution that your statements are completely... unfounded and absurd.
          indeed. also, although wormholes might not them selves - if you imagine them to travel through space, then they would. Also, if they do not have an atmosphere, they would. infact, the onle way they wouldn't kill you if they literally, glue one part of space to another, and those two parts are both with atmosphere. So unless it is like a door, de-materialiseation resulting in lack of experience (and probably death, but that's by-the-by...) would occur. if it is door like then you would step into the puddle and immediatly out again, like wallking through a waterfall into a cave. Either way, there would not be and experience. It just looks good on tv, and frankly, I like it even thou it's not accurate.

Three PHDs, you seem to know much on the matter. what is the best explanation for the wormhole - tunneel like, door like, etc? Thanx
          "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Black holes and wormholes were always mixed up because of the fact that there is a spiral effect when matter enters the event horizan of a blackhole. Which makes it look like einsteins diagrams of wormholes.
            Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
            Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
            - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
            - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

Until Three PhDs comes along, I will try and help with the very, very limited knowledge that I have. I would say that wormholes would be tunnel like since the two holes are supposed to connected by a bridge/throat, called the Einstein-Rosen bridge. I would guess there would be some kind of sensation since it would not be instantaneous depending on the distance you are traveling. Also, as for there being real wormholes, I have read nothing about that. All I have read is that wormholes are mathimatical proofs for Einstein's General Relativity. Everything I have read involve a wormhole being made with a black hole, bridge/throat and a white hole. Nothing has been able to prove their existence except on paper.

Comment

Until Three PhDs comes along, I will try and help with the very, very limited knowledge that I have. I would say that wormholes would be tunnel like since the two holes are supposed to connected by a bridge/throat, called the Einstein-Rosen bridge. I would guess there would be some kind of sensation since it would not be instantaneous depending on the distance you are traveling. Also, as for there being real wormholes, I have read nothing about that. All I have read is that wormholes are mathematical proofs for Einstein's General Relativity. Everything I have read involve a wormhole being made with a black hole, bridge/throat and a white hole. Nothing has been able to prove their existence except on paper.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.
                Last edited by vonbismarck; 24 August 2005, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Yes, well the only way we can prove their existance is if we see one or create one.

Owen Macri

Comment

You wouldn't be able to see a wormhole as you wouldn't see anything past the event horizon. Nor do I know how one would be created (although that would be a given). Until I read something that says otherwise (and I know that there is something out there that says otherwise) I can't see a wormhole being formed as everything I read says black hole + bridge + white hole = wormhole but white holes are supposed to break the second law of thermodynamics (and yes I am aware of the fact that some people think quasars are white holes). Till then, they will just be a paper existence and scifi to me.

Comment

If the event horizon did not destroy you, then you would be able to see things past it.

Owen Macri

Comment

I mean looking through it. As long as you pass through the event horizon then I guess you could see what is ahead of you (taking for granted that you aren't ripped about by the tidal forces). Before crossing it though, you would not see anything as the light from the otherside would not be able to pass it.

Comment

Oh, yes, I did not mean "see" in that sense.

Owen Macri

Comment

The Einstein-Rosen bridge is a bit misleading in that it tries to show something multidimensional in terms of a 2-D diagram. There is in truth no neck/tunnel through which you would travel, because (and think about it) a tunnel is a three dimensional construct. The entrance and exit of a wormhole are like... the front and back of a doorway. As soon as you step through the front you're already walking out the back. There's no inbetween.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

From what I have read (now that I have read something that talks of the possibility of wormholes existencing), they talk of one needing to use negative energy/exotic matter to keep the "throat" of the wormhole open. Unless they mean the doorway when using throat, it seems that they think there is some kind of tunnel involved.

That's just my two cents though (okay, just one cent at best but that is all I got).

Comment

I think that that's just a misleading term. It just means the 'entrance' and 'exit' of the doors have to be held open (by this exotic matter). No tunnel. It's like having a door on one of those automatic return springs. You need something to hold the door open or it will shut itself.

The tunnel idea comes, like three phds had said, looking at it from a 2d point of view. The explanation of burrowing through the apple, for example.

So, another question then. A wormhole is basically just sticking two parts of space together? no tunnels, no exciting journeys, just temporarily sticking the two together. If that is so, then how the hell do you -1)create such a construct, and 2)aim it?
                                "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Working...
                                X