Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, umm there is another thread around here where I explained it, or maybe I just copied my post, well here is a picture anyways, does this help?

This is a very basic picture I have a more complicated one explaining my entire theory of how the Stargate identifies othey gate using tubular regions. (Seastallion doesn't like it. shh. lol)

Owen Macri

Comment

Yes, but how are the 39 symbols distributed in 3D space? How do you know what is where?

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
      - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri

I disagree that the symbols represnt actual constellations, the symbols represent points in space, they must be moving all of the time, every time someone moves a Stargate, for the coorelative updates, and we can't forget the symbols also represent a language allowing you to pronounce the names of each planet, etc. But I certainly do not believe that each symbol actually represents a constellation, they just represent points in space.

Owen Macri
        I would say that you are half right. I think that the symbols on the statgate represent constellations, which are really representative of points in space near these constellations. Obviously the constellations don't match on other planets because they see a different night sky, however, the symbols on the gate are still valid because they represent points in space close to that constellation you can see in earth's night sky.

This means two things - firstly, the ancients were very arrogant to impose their view of the galaxy on everyone else, and secondly, as the symbols don't link directly to the constellation but a point in space that was near at the time of building (the stargates), you can't use the constellations anymore to plot a course to a planet using the gate address unless you know inadvance what the points in space corresponding to each symbol are. these points in space are calculated and spread by the dhd's through correlative updates.

It also explains why our gate could only gate to abydos, the gates points in space were off, but abydos was near enough for it not to matter.

As for panther's question, Carter worked out some system to predict/extrapolate where to points were. This would then tell the dialling computer what each symbol means, and then the gate worked properly again.

Also, althought panther has a point about limited vectors, the gate adresses only work in one combination, even though you should be able to mix them up a little, ie, a gate address like:

a b c d e f [Point of origin]

is really meant to be groped like this: ab cd ef [POO]

there fore you could technically input it as: ba cd fe [POO], etc. However, this is never done is stargate, suggesting that the seguence of symbols only works one way. This is probably so that planets that can't be plotted by the conventional methods are given a special code which is more like a name for the planet, rather than an address. these 'named' planets are known to the dhd's and the route to take to them is in the dhd's too.

But that's just my theory. I think it works, but as SG is at the end of the day, a tv show, prone to plot holes and the like, you must work out what you think.

Ps: if you didn't understand any of that just say and I'll try to clear it up - i haven't explained all of it very well but I think you get the drift of what I'm saying. if not don't hesitate to ask (but be specific about what you don't understand).
        "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Originally posted by Panther
          Yes, but how are the 39 symbols distributed in 3D space? How do you know what is where?
          The points would likley be mapped, not actually, but by the Stargate. It is the same with a constellation, you are saying this constellation is located at this point in space. With my idea, it would just be like saying, this point in space. Just like you use latitude and longitude on Earth, you will have system devised for charting space.

Owen Macri

Comment

About the possibility of limited vectors, I have come up with another solution, the Stargate has thirty eight symbols, and most likley, all of the symbols are a part of more than one adress, what if instead of only thirty eight points for the entire galaxy, each gate has its' own six. The gate would not know what point you are dialing until the entire sequence was in because the symbols may represent hundreds of points in space for each diffrent gate. This would also allow for many, many more gates.

Owen Macri

Comment

I think it's implied in the series that each stargate has it's own unique six symbol identifier and the seven symbol address is not a vector. It's the only possible way it could work. There's just not enough accuracy with the 39 points in 3D space.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"

Comment

You are right, there the accuracy would be very low, and may areas of the universe would be simply unusable. However I don't recall it being stated in the show...

Owen Macri

Comment

Back to that whole address stuff and not how it works... Anyone know the galaxy symbol that Atlantis uses to call up Earth in Letters from Pegasus? Also, what is the Point of Origin symbol for Atlantis itself?
                  Thanks

Comment

I would like to know that too, maybe there is a screen shot.

Owen Macri

Comment

I couldn't find the earth address from Atlantis, but I have the atlantis POO. Sadly I don't have time to get it, but you can find it at www.chevron26.com, under the bit about atlantis, Dhd and stargate. It's right at the bottom of the page.
                      "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Oh, that is cool. It just came to me, seeing as the distance between Pegasus and the Milky Way and the Milky Way and Pegasus is the same, and the Atlantis Stargate has the same symbols as Milky Way gates, then likley the Distance modifier used to get to Pegasus from Earth will be the same as the one to get to Earth from Pegasus. However I still don't know what that is. lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by cozzerob
                          I think that the symbols on the statgate represent constellations, which are really representative of points in space near these constellations.
                          I've heard this arguement before, and it doesn't float. The Antarctic gate was placed on Earth ~50 million years ago, and it uses the same "constellation" symbols as all the others. 50 MYA the constellations wouldn't look anything like they do now, since the stars they're represented by would have been in completely different locations.

The constellations are based off the symbols on the gate, not the other way around.

the Atlantis Stargate has the same symbols as Milky Way gates
                          Except the Pegasus stargates don't have the same symbols as the Milky Way gates, and they don't have as many symbols either; Milky Way has 39, Pegasus has 36.

As long as the symbol that they used from Earth has a counterpart on the Pegasus gate, they can dial home.
                          Since the "distance modifier" used to get to Pegasus was the 20th symbol on the gate (clockwise from the PoO) Pegasus gates also have that symbol, which means they can dial Earth, as we've seen in the series a couple times so far
                          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

That is why I said "if" but you cut it from the quote.

Owen Macri

Comment

That is why I said "if" but you cut it from the quote.

Oh, that is cool. It just came to me, seeing as the distance between Pegasus and the Milky Way and the Milky Way and Pegasus is the same, and the Atlantis Stargate has the same symbols as Milky Way gates, then likley the Distance modifier used to get to Pegasus from Earth will be the same as the one to get to Earth from Pegasus. However I still don't know what that is. lol.

Owen Macri
                              No Cut, no paste, no "if".
                              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                                The constellations are based off the symbols on the gate, not the other way around.
                                Excuse me, but you've totally lost me here? What are you on about?

Comment

Working...
                                X