Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's odd. Earth's address should be different for each stargate. There should be no "one address".

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
    - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Originally posted by mightydefiant
      sugnature signature, what did I spell wrong?
      Oh, I'm an idiot, I forgot I even posted that, lol, oh well, I already killed the joke, I tend to do that, I hate that! lol. Ya, I thought your signature was funny.

Owen Macri

Comment

No, Earths' adress should be the same from everywhere, seeing as each Stargate uses the same symbols, the only diffrent symbol would be the point of origin. If I haven't understood correctly pleade explain, I appoligize.

Owen Macri

Comment

The stargate co-ordinates work by using the constellations and/or planets to define a point in three space (the chevrons are 6 faces of an imaginary cube if you like). Finally to make a line you use define a point of origin. No seeing as everyone is going to have a different night sky it follows that the co-ordinates from each point of origin are going to be different.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"

Comment

No, the symbols are not actually constellations, they respresent points in space, an adress has six of them, you may then connect them and where they intersect is where the Stargate will aim the wormhole.

Owen Macri

Comment

"...A massive, circular ring with an inner track of 39 symbols representing star constellations..." (Omnipedia, Gateworld).
              Why are they limited to to 39? Secondly, you forget that only Abydos could be dialed at first. It was later discovered due to planetary drift all other addresses wouldn't work. Again the solution was to find the six constellations where straight lines between them would intersect to a Stargate.

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with Panther. It just dosen't make sense. I sure can't think of an explanation.
                "I'm the greatest because I'm alive. That's it. Period.
                I'm not greedy. If I can catch a Goa'uld equipped with all kinds of fancy toys without risking my neck that's a damn good compromise."

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Panther
                  you forget that only Abydos could be dialed at first.
                  It's like knowing only one phone number.
                  Originally posted by Panther
                  Why are they limited to to 39
                  There has to be a limit, you want 5000? How would they all fit on the gate?
                  Originally posted by Owen Macri
                  the symbols are not actually constellations, they respresent points in space
                  True, or all symbols would be differnt on every gate as the movie had it(and the movie only had 2 stargates)
                  Originally posted by Owen Macri
                  Earths' adress should be the same from everywhere, seeing as each Stargate uses the same symbols, the only diffrent symbol would be the point of origin
                  True, or they would have to find the symbols for Earth every time they go somewhere.
                  Think of it as a phone number, it stays the same as you move to place to place.
                  This is my sugnature!
                  Spelled wrong so no one steals it!

Comment

I think what they are talking about is, in the movie, and apparently the show as well as we see in the season eight finale, the symbols represent constellations you are right, but they aren't physically constellations, they just appear to look the same as constellations, Orion, for example, a symbol on the Stargate looks like the constellation, but the constellation orion, is not actually the side of one of the imaginary boxes.

Owen Macri

Comment

I wounldn't know about season 8, I'm stuck in sydication. And I have dail-up for downloading(illegal!)
                      This is my sugnature!

Comment

Oh all that happens is they mention that the symbols look like constellations nothing special. I hope you get the episodes soon, they are good.

Owen Macri

Comment

I know, I can't wait for season 8 to start in the fall! But I'm worried that will they show atlantis too, because they will have to move or take off a show or ad-shows.
                          This is my sugnature!

Comment

Sam also mentioned that they tried a number of combinations, and they didn't work. There are after all 2,349,088,560 posible combinations from each Stargate.

DANIEL
                            All of the symbols are on the Stargate in the Abydos chamber. I've also managed to chart some of them in the Abydos night sky, or at least pretty close. Jack I think that this is a map of a vast network of Stargates, Stargates that are…are all over the galaxy.

CARTER
                            Uh, I don't think that can be, Doctor.

CARTER
                            Well, because after Colonel O'Neill and his team came back my team tried hundreds of symbol permutations using Earth as the point of origin and it never worked.

DANIEL
                            I tried the same here and it didn't work either but I figured the destinations I tried were either destroyed or buried, but, um, I mean some of them somewhere must still exist.

CARTER
                            I don't think so.

CARTER
                            Then where did your Ra lookalike come from?

CARTER
                            Uh…

DANIEL
                            Look I don't pretend to know anything about Astrophysics but couldn't the planets change? I mean, uh, drift apart or something like that, to throw this map off?

CARTER
                            I knew I'd like you.

DANIEL
                            You mean I'm right?

CARTER
                            According to the expanding universe model all bodies in the universe are constantly moving further apart…

DANIEL
                            So I the thousands of years since the Stargate was built…

CARTER
                            All the coordinates could have changed.

DANIEL
                            But why does it still work between Abydos and Earth?

CARTER
                            Abydos is probably the closest planet in the network to Earth, I mean the closer they are the less the difference in relative position due to expansion—the further away the greater the difference. In a few thousand more years it won't work between Earth and Abydos either.

DANIEL
                            Unless you can adjust for the displacement.

CARTER
                            Right, now with this map as a base that should be easy. All we have to do is correct for Doppler's Shift, then I should be able to arrive at a computer model that can predict the adjustments necessary to get the Gate working again.

KAWALSKI
                            Okay, so what did we just figure out?

CARTER
                            Any civilisation advanced enough to build this Gate network would be able to compensate for 50,000 years of stellar drift.
                            Obviously, the positions of the constellations and planets matter. Of course now that I think about it could be possible that the 6 symbols could be the same. If for example the symbols are supposed to be groups of two then really the order of the three groups shouldn't matter. If you think about 3D space, the first of the two dictates the first constellation, and the second dictates the second constellation then one draws a straight line between the two points, then it really should matter which of the three lines you resolve first. Also it shouldn't matter which angle you view them on because a line between two points is always gonna be the same. I think the difference arises from what each planet uses as it's constellations. Maybe from another planet one can't see the Orion constellation, but it's stars are something else entirely. After all the symbols are based off the night sky.

Comment

Yes, the symbols are based on the night sky, either that, or the night sky is based on the symbols, think about it, the Stargate has been around for millenia, much longer in fact, constellations are just images found in the sky, mostly based on mythology, Ancient humans could have looked at the Stargate seen the symbols and put them together in the night sky, with as many stars as we can see, almost any image or symbol can be found, you just have to look.

I disagree that the symbols represnt actual constellations, the symbols represent points in space, they must be moving all of the time, every time someone moves a Stargate, for the coorelative updates, and we can't forget the symbols also represent a language allowing you to pronounce the names of each planet, etc. But I certainly do not believe that each symbol actually represents a constellation, they just represent points in space.

Owen Macri

Comment

How would "points in space" work in 3D space. You'd be pretty limited in your vectors for a Stargate with so few symbols.

Comment

Working...
                                X