Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it would work fine with a planet, the bubble just needs to be expanded. Like in The Next Generation when the moon was decelerating out of orbit, and I believe they tried to extend their warp field around it. Or they often extend their warp field around slower ships. In fact their was one whole episode about a warp bubble, I can't remember what it was called, but it was shrinking and Beverly Crusher was inside, and The Traveller came back to help save her.

Owen Macri

Comment

hmm next gen i think i remember that episode with the moon and the shrinking warp field funny its usually the deflector dish that helps save them all the time.
      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Ya, they do use the deflector dishes a lot, for something meant to push away small objects it is often used to emit some type of beam, to kill, blow up, heal, or push copies of ships back together. But they do use warp fields and sheilds a lot too.

Owen Macri

Comment

Ok Owen, subspace just interests me thats all. I know im making many assumptions but Im not that qualified in space theory or anything.

My main point was this.

Its pretty obvious subspace differs from the space/time that we know. I was just wondering that because in the show they send communications via subspace, and travel via subspace, they must have a way to get the signals to enter and exit subspace at designated times. Either to recieve a signal or to travel. I was just discussing how difficult this would be because subspace bears no resemblance (in terms of physics) to our space, therefore not only destinations would have to be calculated, but also points in time as well. I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Oh, that's ok, I didn't say there was anything wrong with making assumptions with no basis, I do it all the time, if no one made assumptions where would we be today? Subspace interests me too. I want to appoligize for my last post responding to yours I sounded very ofending, even when I read it the second time, I have no idea, why I posted that. Please forgive me.

As for subspace messages, they might not need the messages to exit, if they had sensors that could scan in subspace then they could read the messages without needing them to exit. As well, they could generate the meessages already in subspace.

You have nice thoughts in your post.

Once again I appoligize for everything I said.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar
              Subspace does not exist. Hyperspace is theorized to exist but bearing absolutely no similarities to the Stargate version.
              This is going to come off as cocky, but I shall continue knowing that risk.

You say subspace doesn't exist.

Are we a Quantum Theorist? Have you taken any courses in any science?

So unless you have actually tried to jump into subspace or even transmitted into subspace you have NO PROOF.

Just because we can't do it with our LEVEL of technology and Scientific knowledge doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

hundreds of years ago we thought the earth was flat, columbus proved it was round. They said the sound barrier could not be broken, but it was broken. Subspace is just another challenge. And if you learn anything about humans you should learn that people like me (A scientist) LOVE challenges that people say can't be done.

Comment

Originally posted by jaden10
                Just because we can't do it with our LEVEL of technology and Scientific knowledge doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
                Yes, but that fact doesn't prove it actually exists either.

For now, using all those extra dimensions may allow some theories to be used as a basis to compute and predict experimental results - but that doesn't mean those theories are "true".

The "aether" concept was, if I remember correctly, used to predict light's path and behaviour, and has since then be dismissed - the same thing may happen with subspace.

Now, I still see your point - we don't know yet, would be a bad thing to dismiss it without a remote proof of its non-existance.
                "Guinness [...] a refreshing substitute for ... food."
                Hallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                  Oh, that's ok, I didn't say there was anything wrong with making assumptions with no basis, I do it all the time, if no one made assumptions where would we be today? Subspace interests me too. I want to appoligize for my last post responding to yours I sounded very ofending, even when I read it the second time, I have no idea, why I posted that. Please forgive me.

As for subspace messages, they might not need the messages to exit, if they had sensors that could scan in subspace then they could read the messages without needing them to exit. As well, they could generate the meessages already in subspace.

You have nice thoughts in your post.

Once again I appoligize for everything I said.

Owen Macri

Thats ok Owen, thanks for clearing up what I asked though

EDIT

Regarding the above posts about subspace existing.

The most logical course of action if someone actively wanted to find out about subspace would be to treat it as if it already existed. That way, any theories or concepts that were tried on the assumption that it existed, would either work, proving its existence, or not work, proving its non existance.

Im afraid that isnt terribly clear, but I hope you understand it.

In addition, we may not be able to see or interact with subspace, because of the space/time we live in at the moment.

Assuming that subspace is very different to our universe in terms of time progression, existance of matter etc, anything created in our universe may conflict tremendously in any other "realm". Likewise, the mere concept of "subspace" or any equivalent may be beyond our perception as humans, only increasing the mystery about this void.
                  Last edited by Dazmeister; 23 July 2005, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Personally, I agree with this philosophy, we assume, that everything we know is solid and if it is a law, it must be true, but it must not be. We assume that gravity is a universal constant, we assume that all matter attracts all other matter, and as far as we know this is true, but it might not be, simply because it has been proved doesn't mean it is wrong.

When the candle light is hot we assume it must be fire.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Dazmeister
                      Thats ok Owen, thanks for clearing up what I asked though

EDIT

Regarding the above posts about subspace existing.

The most logical course of action if someone actively wanted to find out about subspace would be to treat it as if it already existed. That way, any theories or concepts that were tried on the assumption that it existed, would either work, proving its existence, or not work, proving its non existance.

Im afraid that isnt terribly clear, but I hope you understand it.

In addition, we may not be able to see or interact with subspace, because of the space/time we live in at the moment.

Assuming that subspace is very different to our universe in terms of time progression, existance of matter etc, anything created in our universe may conflict tremendously in any other "realm". Likewise, the mere concept of "subspace" or any equivalent may be beyond our perception as humans, only increasing the mystery about this void.
                      Ok, thank you very much, and you are very welcome, I hope that I could help.

Owen Macri

Comment

Theoretically, subspace exists. But we have not proven anything yet.

Owen Macri
                        By what theory? I've heard nothing of this.

In theory it can be done, It is real? Can't say, we DO NOT have the technology to measure or detect it.
                        But in theory there are about 3 ways of doing it, all incluse a huge energy burst. But until we develop the technology or we have a alien with the technology that is willing to share. The answer is simply "we don't know.
                        What theory of subspacce are you referring to. Subspace as far as I'm concerned is just a throwaway word used on Sci-Fi shows.

Still, just because subspace does not contain matter, has nothing to do with time. You are making many assumptions, with no basis, if you would care to elaborate?

Owen Macri
                        Assumptions with no basis... like... maybe... that subspace exists? Why has everyone latched onto this idea since it was mentioned in Star Trek and Stargate? It was made up by some sci-fi writers.

Are you? Certainly not seen any evidence of that yet.

So unless you have actually tried to jump into subspace or even transmitted into subspace you have NO PROOF.
                        So it's down to the burden of proof? Prove to me it exists. No, I'll make it easy... prove to me there's even the slightest suggestion or hint that it might exist.

Just because it was mentioned on a Sci-Fi show doesn't mean it does exist.

hundreds of years ago we thought the earth was flat, columbus proved it was round. They said the sound barrier could not be broken, but it was broken. Subspace is just another challenge. And if you learn anything about humans you should learn that people like me (A scientist) LOVE challenges that people say can't be done.
                        Yes, but we knew the Earth was either flat or round. We knew the barrier existed and either could or couldn't be broken. We don't even have any evidence to suggest that subspace might even exist.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

[Quote=Three PhDs]By what theory? I've heard nothing of this.
                          [/Qupte]

It is my theory, unfortunatly I don't have anything to back it up. So it is more of an idea.

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                          Assumptions with no basis... like... maybe... that subspace exists? Why has everyone latched onto this idea since it was mentioned in Star Trek and Stargate? It was made up by some sci-fi writers.
                          Seeing as we do not have proof one way or another, to continue a fruitiful discussion we must assume that it does.

Owen Macri

Comment

It is my theory, unfortunatly I don't have anything to back it up. So it is more of an idea.

Seeing as we do not have proof one way or another, to continue a fruitiful discussion we must assume that it does.

Owen Macri
                            Yeah, maybe... but I see it as... well, I have no proof for the existence of leprechauns... see, you were until now talking about subspace as a real thing, saying things like "Theoretically it is possible to access it but it would take a lot of energy" etc, but the moment I challenge you on it you say "Oh well it's just my opinion." Do you see? You're presenting your opinion and your ideas as fact, when (apparently) there's no basis to them. I don't mean to be cheeky, but perhaps you should be more clear in future between what is opinion or speculation and what is fact.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

No, you are right, what I should have said would have been,

"Theoretically, if subspace does exist it would likley take a lot of power to acces it, other wise we would have done it by now."

However at the time I believe everyone was already working on the assumption that it existed.

Owen Macri

Comment

That's like calling someone narrow minded because they don't believe in leprechauns. [EDIT: That is uncanny, I replied to this message, independently, with the same analogy as Three PhDs.] Gene Roddenberry invented subspace, it isn't covered by any scientific meterial that I know of, it's a pipe dream of scifi chic.

Have you taken any courses in any science?
                                Four, in physics, every semester.
                                Last edited by Lord §okar; 13 August 2005, 06:14 PM.
                                Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Working...
                                X