This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by briguy213
    I have a great movie on string theory. It is a thing made by "NOVA". If you are intrested in this stuff you should definetly check it out.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html ?
    "Guinness [...] a refreshing substitute for ... food."
    Hallowed are the Ori.

Comment

I just looked and the movie is called, The elegant universe. It is really good.

Comment

I'm happy to see my post caught peoples attention, usually I just get ignored

Read The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.

Basically there as been in recent years a number of theories relating to the makeup of the universe. This is all to do with the grand unified theory of EVERYTHING. It is a theory which Albert Einstein was working on when he died. Basically it relates to the unification of general relativity, special relativity and Quantum Mechanics, basically don't get along very well until you put them in their own contexts.

In order to understand how the universe exists, was created and how it functions you need to understand how all its part work not only on their own but together. Thats the unified theory, anyways, a number of years ago a bunch of scientists got together and tried to clock this idea with a bunch of theories, first I believe was string theory, this included 10 dimensions and was the most popular, next was the less popular super-string theory with 11 dimensions.

Basically everyone liked the 10 dimension one more than the 11 dimension one because it didn't include hyperspace and gravity being a foreign force from another universe/hyperspace. So people piled onto string theory for a while, problem was that the numbers simply didn't crunch when it came down to it string theory was fatally flawed. So the guy who invented super-string got together with some other scientist working on a new theory called Menbrane theory which is different from string theory in that it visualises the universe as being a sheet/menbrane and matter/energy being formed by ripples upon the menbrane. Problem was that it didn't crunch well too, until the super-string theory guy turned up and added an 11th dimension to the equation. Then everything fitted perfectly, now M-theory is the most popular and allows scientists to visualise the universe externally via hyperspace(the 11th dimension I think) and speculation on how the universe began.

All in all GREAT news for boffins.

P.S.

According to M-Theory the universe existed before the big bang but was change/created from what it was by an impact with a second universe floating in hyperspace. Basically universes are menbranes just floating around in hyperspace and the ripples upon them form the universal matter/energy/forces that we know and love. So in theory another impact could fundamental change our universe forever. Just imagine if tomorrow the electromagnetic force in our universe suddenly vanished. Yikes!

Comment

The movie is based on the book. I like the movie better because it gives you visual examples.

Comment

Originally posted by jaden10
            In theory it can be done, It is real? Can't say, we DO NOT have the technology to measure or detect it.
            But in theory there are about 3 ways of doing it, all incluse a huge energy burst. But until we develop the technology or we have a alien with the technology that is willing to share. The answer is simply "we don't know.
            You are right, we are here theorizing and hypothesizing about how to get into subspace when we don't actually know if it exists. But it is still fun. I completley agree, and attempt to acces subspace would require an amazing amount of energy.

Owen Macri

Comment

Subspace does not exist. Hyperspace is theorized to exist but bearing absolutely no similarities to the Stargate version.

But in theory there are about 3 ways of doing it, all incluse a huge energy burst.
              How's that?
              Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

if say in theory one was to enter the subspace hyperspace whatever you want to call it in say a ship if possible what would one see from the window?
                if traveling trough such a dimesion was possible and was instintasious then i guess you would just pop inside then pop out at a different point in space without ever noticing it like nothing ever happened time could in effect to the occupants be stoped and no time would have passed if this is so then what about reversing time to go inside and then somehow rig it to go back and emerge say 200 years before?

in effect one could go anywhere in the universe by means of this hyperspace/subspace instantly now thats freaky dose this spill onto the realms of time travels or dose my small imagination just let me down?
                For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

if say in theory one was to enter the subspace hyperspace whatever you want to call it in say a ship if possible what would one see from the window?
                  If I had to guess I'd say nothing. Just as the fladlander sees nothing in a three dimensional wormhole (since he can only see infinitessimally thin slivers of three dimensional space) we would see nothing in a tunnel through our higher dimensions.

Comment

^well im sure gonna miss all of them stars flying by the window LOL!

if what i said before were to happen and humans didt use hyprspce for ships they could do the journy in stages.

1. earth or solar system we jump inside for a short amount of time to a point in space we have selected.

2. we emerge at the designated coordinates in an instant and keep this up all the way there.

or we may be able to illicit a bleed through effect by not fully being absorbed into hyperspace but brigning it to them sort of when there is a lump in the carpet you could grab it and simply pull it along until you got where you wanted i have no idea if this is possible or if its a expedient way of getting to somewhere as fully entering hyprspce but if all ships did this then we could be safer than impacting other ships in hyprspce in the time it takes to blink an eye.

any ideas??????
                    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Ok assume subspace is accessible. It would be incredibly difficult to emerge at a chosen destination wouldnt it?

If subspace has none of the attributes of regular space, such as stable matter, etc, would time also operate differently?

If this is the case, then wouldnt you need to calculate not only the distance in space, but also a point in time?

This raises yet ANOTHER question, would time travel be made possible (to some extent) because of this?

Im not that qualified in many spacial stuff, I just find it interesting.

Comment

Since it doesn't actually have any basis in reality it's perfectly simple to appear anywhere you want, just use the same process that you used to access a non-existent region of the universe.

If subspace has none of the attributes of regular space, such as stable matter, etc, would time also operate differently?
                        What is "stable matter" (by corrolary there must be "unstable matter", what would that be like?), why can't subspace have it and how does it relate to time?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                          ^well im sure gonna miss all of them stars flying by the window LOL!

if what i said before were to happen and humans didt use hyprspce for ships they could do the journy in stages.

1. earth or solar system we jump inside for a short amount of time to a point in space we have selected.

2. we emerge at the designated coordinates in an instant and keep this up all the way there.

or we may be able to illicit a bleed through effect by not fully being absorbed into hyperspace but brigning it to them sort of when there is a lump in the carpet you could grab it and simply pull it along until you got where you wanted i have no idea if this is possible or if its a expedient way of getting to somewhere as fully entering hyprspce but if all ships did this then we could be safer than impacting other ships in hyprspce in the time it takes to blink an eye.

any ideas??????
                          You are thinking of the Warp Drive, from Star Trek, correct? The Warp Drive works on a diffrent principle, it works on the principle of condensing the space ahead of you and stretching the space behind you, I had a link to a good page, it is actually a theoretical study that was done, if anyone can help me with a link, I can't remember what the guys' name was or the actual name of the drive.

Owen Macri

EDIT: Ok, I found the stuff I was looking for. The scientists name is Migel Alcubierre. The Alcubierre Drive is also known as the Warp Drive, and is a solution for Einsteins' equations to disallow faster than light speed travel.

This is the website: (It is actually a wikipedia article)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

and this is a picture of the Warp bubble, or Alcubierre bubble:

As you can see, the space infront of the craft is condensed and the space behind the craft is streatched.

Owen Macri
                          Last edited by _Owen_; 20 July 2005, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Ok, forget I said "stable matter", and assume I meant any matter of any kind.

Comment

Still, just because subspace does not contain matter, has nothing to do with time. You are making many assumptions, with no basis, if you would care to elaborate?

Owen Macri

Comment

if travelling at faster than light speeds can effectively slow or stop time according to releativity then such a warp drive technicly be as effective as hyperspace IF! when you did manage to enter such a region time was also stopped due to do forces acting on the area around you or your ship being no existant and so on if it even exists at all but i have always liked the idea behind warpdrive it seems a more acceptable means of faster than light space travel.

Question?

if you could condesnse space in front of an object and expand the space behind then wouldn't this work for say a planet? or do gravitational forces prohibit such an act

note my head is functioning at a slower rate than the norm i need coffee before my brain works at full speed so im going to go and have a look properly at relativity with an espresso.

Comment

Working...
                                X