Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, it is very relevant, becuase the data, simply cannot get there without breaking the laws of physics or violating occums razor. And it is no fact it is your oppinion.
    No, Owen, it is a fact. Chevrons on the destination gate light up way before the wormhole forms, ergo there is data exchanged between the two gates, faster than light, without the aid of a wormhole. Parsimony is not applicable here because there is no valid competing theory and how "the laws of physics" a constraint? The Goa'uld have hand held balls capable of sending video and audio in real time over vast interplanetary distances without any trace of latency.
    Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

There is no evidence of that. And it is impossible seeing as the dialling gate doesn't even have a destination to send the information to, until the sixth symbol is dialed, and it can't plot a course until the seventh symbol is dialed, then if the gate is open the wormhole forms anyways.

Owen Macri

Comment

There is no evidence of that.
        No evidence of what, that data preceeds the wormhole? There is ample, 100% incontrivertible proof that data preceeds the wormhole. It's in every single episode where someone dials a stargate. The first chevron engages at the receiving end even minutes before the wormhole has formed.

as the dialling gate doesn't even have a destination to send the information to, until the sixth symbol is dialed, and it can't plot a course until the seventh symbol is dialed, then if the gate is open the wormhole forms anyways.
        That's right, your theory doesn't work. The only explanation that does work is mine. When you dial an address starting with, say, serpens caput, the dialling gate communicates with every other gate in the galaxy at FTL speeds and all the gate whose address begins with serpents caput activate. When the next glyph is dialled, leo minor, perhaps, the massive amount of stargates that were active are now limited only to the ones whose address is serpens caput and then leo minor, and the rest shut down.

Comment

Owen, have you for a second considered that in a dimension other than the four we are used to experiencing, the gates aren't actually that far apart?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Yes, however, that has absolutley nothing to do with anything. When you dial the first chevron, it cannot send this information to the recieving Stargate, because it does not know what the recieving Stargate is yet, or for that matter, how to get there.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
              Yes, however, that has absolutley nothing to do with anything. When you dial the first chevron, it cannot send this information to the recieving Stargate, because it does not know what the recieving Stargate is yet, or for that matter, how to get there.

Owen Macri
              This bugs me, how would the receving gate get only 1 chevron at a time? If the gate did send the chevrons one by one, then every gate with the frist chevron would glow, then at number 2, all gates that have those 2 would glow, but the ones with only 1 would will stop.
              This is my sugnature!
              Spelled wrong so no one steals it!

Comment

For god sake! Listen closely: dialling occurrs in real time, there is quite undeniably data sent far before the wormhole even establishes, ergo the dialling occurrs by a process of elimination. You have sidestepped engaging this issue with every post so I will say this once and for all:

You are pointing out flaws in your own theory! It is wrong.

Originally posted by Me
                There is ample, 100% incontrivertible proof that data preceeds the wormhole. It's in every single episode where someone dials a stargate. The first chevron engages at the receiving end even minutes before the wormhole has formed.
                Originally posted by Me
                The only explanation that does work is mine. When you dial an address starting with, say, serpens caput, the dialling gate communicates with every other gate in the galaxy at FTL speeds and all the gate whose address begins with serpents caput activate. When the next glyph is dialled, leo minor, perhaps, the massive amount of stargates that were active are now limited only to the ones whose address is serpens caput and then leo minor, and the rest shut down.

Comment

That is a very big assumption, as well as an incorrect one. The first chevron could not be locked on any gate as it is dialed, let alone all of the gates with the first chevron, because there is absolutley no way for the signal to get to the gates. This is so because neither coordinates to any of the gates, nor a point of origin, to allow the ploting of a course have been input yet. The gate simply has the information for one chevron, which alone, means squat! Even with the second, third, fourth, and fifth chevron, it, and or they, all mean absolutly nothing, they are points in space, they are not coordinates, without the sixth symbol, you will not have coordinates to a Stargate, and without the seventh symbol you will not be able to plot a course to the Stargates.

It doesn't matter whether you would like all of the gates in the universe to light up with the first chevron is dialed, it will not happen, because with the current configuration of the Stargate it is physically impossible.

Owen Macri

Comment

I know that the all the gates cannot get the single at once, but when the receving gate lights up one at a time, it does seem to send only parts. And that bugs me as it cannot happen.
                    This is my sugnature!

Comment

That is a very big assumption, as well as an incorrect one. The first chevron could not be locked on any gate as it is dialed, let alone all of the gates with the first chevron, because there is absolutley no way for the signal to get to the gates. This is so because neither coordinates to any of the gates, nor a point of origin, to allow the ploting of a course have been input yet.
                      Put your mind to this.

IT IS NOT AN ASSUMPTION. It is a FACT that chevrons are locked before the wormhole. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? This is not an interpretation, this is gleaned directly from the show, ther eis no getting around this.

GIVEN THIS KNOWLEDGE now understand that the co-ordinates of any ONE gate are not required since the signal is broadcasted TO ALL OF THEM. ALL of the gates with the first same first symbol light up when that symbol is dialled. When the second symbol is dialled, ALL the gates with that second symbol stay lit and the rest shut down. A SPECIFIC TARGET IS NOT REQUIRED since data processing occurrs in the rest of the gate network. When the sequence is complete the origin gate and the one remaining target form a wormhole.

Dialling is by a process of elimination. By the end of the sequence, there will only be one gate that responds to whole sequence of 6 glyphs. THIS IS THE ONLY EXPLANATION THAT ACCOUNTS FOR THE PHENOMENA.

This is the trillionth time I have explained this and you still have not yet comprehended it. Before you reply, with any kind of response like "but the gate doesn't know where the signal has to go to until the serquence is complete" go back and read this post again. Every time you come up with an objection read this post again because it will be answered, as it has been every time now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar
                        GIVEN THIS KNOWLEDGE now understand that the co-ordinates of any ONE gate are not required since the signal is broadcasted TO ALL OF THEM. ALL of the gates with the first same first symbol light up when that symbol is dialled. When the second symbol is dialled, ALL the gates with that second symbol stay lit and the rest shut down. A SPECIFIC TARGET IS NOT REQUIRED since data processing occurrs in the rest of the gate network. When the sequence is complete the origin gate and the one remaining target form a wormhole.
                        That seems dumb that all gates get the single. How much power would it take to send the data to all the gates every time you dail a gate. What would the people on another planet think when the gate started to light up, then stops.

Originally posted by Lord §okar
                        This is the trillionth time I have explained this and you still have not yet comprehended it. Before you reply, with any kind of response like "but the gate doesn't know where the signal has to go to until the serquence is complete" go back and read this post again. Every time you come up with an objection read this post again because it will be answered, as it has been every time now.
                        Is this to me? Because I have only mention about 2 times, not trillionth times as you say. Both times I said how it bugs me, as I don't think that it would really do that, I'm not argueing about weather or not it does in the show.
                        This is my sugnature!

Comment

How much power would it take to send the data to all the gates every time you dail a gate.
                          Irrelevant.

What would the people on another planet think when the gate started to light up, then stops.
                          Irrelevant.

Is this to me?
                          I thought the fact that I quoted Owens' post may have obviated that question but I guess I was wrong.

I was talking to Owen.

Comment

Who cares?
                            Well obviously he cares other wise he wouldn't have asked.

Comment

See edit.

Comment

Well I wouldn't say its irrelivant. Sending that much data to that many sources would likely (considering the distance) take more energy than the gate can output, if some1 can prove that it requires more energy than the stargate uses then it would definately wouldn't be irellivant. Also, according to your theory, can you explain why 8 chevrons takes more energy, assuming that most of the energy is used by sending the data to all the gates. Although one thing your theory does have is an explaination on how they were able to seemingly easily make the gate dial all gates in the galaxy, as well as multiple shots from the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X