Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can the Nox and ancients and asguard, Open the gate without dialing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely, with all the time travelling and altering they do, some advanced race should talk to them about it, i mean, they've changed earth's future in 'Mobieus' and got trapped in a ancient time machine. they saved earth from the aschen, gone forwards, backwards every direction except the present. Surely someone should say something to them. While they can.
    And the splash, when the wormhole forms, is the unstable part of the wormhole, stablising out.

O'neill:- "I think we've already established that wouldn't have worked out either. No, it's time for plan B."
    Carter:- "We have a plan B?"
    O'neill:- "No...but it's time for one."

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

The problem is, by the time they have altered the future or past or present it is to late, to every other race it is normal, even if it is very diffrent from before, the only way someone would be able to tell is if they were able to remain within some kind of dampening field, impervious to the temporal effects of other people and races in the universe, like in the Voyager episode "Year of Hell."

Owen Macri

Comment

It's probably like a redial feature that the Asgard, Nox, ancients, came up with in order to dial a previous address a bit quicker.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
          Apparently, Earth will learn how to do it eventually too... because Cassandra did it in "1969".
          Not necessaraly. Earth doesn't come up with every technology used by the SGC. Its usually aquired or reverse engineeried from alien technology. The Handheld DHD Cassandra used looked Ancient in design.

Comment

Originally posted by beale947
            Surely, with all the time travelling and altering they do, some advanced race should talk to them about it, i mean, they've changed earth's future in 'Mobieus' and got trapped in a ancient time machine. they saved earth from the aschen, gone forwards, backwards every direction except the present. Surely someone should say something to them. While they can.
            And the splash, when the wormhole forms, is the unstable part of the wormhole, stablising out.
            I'm not so sure. Considering that the splash doesn't occur when some of the other races have used their hand controllers to activate the gate, I think it maybe more likely that the splash is a safety measure, basically there to clear out the area immediately in front of the gate. This would be especially important on the receiving end to make sure there's nothing in front of the gate that the person is going to reintegrate into. I think it works something like this.

The wormhole is established between the two gates. The wormhole itself is microscopic and can't be seen. That's why matter being sent through the gate is converted to energy and transmitted through. To create a wormhole capable of transmitting actual matter would take immense amounts of power and a huge wormhole (say something like the Ori supergate). Okay, so the wormhole connection is established. Each gate then activates the "event horizon" which is actually some sort of field that is responsible for scanning/breaking down matter in the case of the sending end and which reconstructs the matter on the receiving end. It has nothing to do with the wormhole at all. You can see this field forming, it's the foamy thing you see right before the splash and as the wormhole disappears. As the field is formed, the stargate generates the splash which blasts out and clears the area in front of the gate at both ends and also serves to wipe the buffer in the gate as well. The splash doesn't actually come from the wormhole but rather is generated just in front of it. This is why the iris isn't destroyed, it's position just in front of the scanning field puts it exactly where the splash forms and prevents it from occuring.

So, in summary:
            • Wormhole is established between the two gates.
            • Deconstruction/Reconstruction fields are activated.
            • Splash is generated just in front of the fields at both ends to wipe the memory crystals and clear the areas in front of the gate from any debris or other objects.
            • Object enters the wormhole, is scanned and converted into energy which is sent through the wormhole. The gate at the other end receives it and reconstructs the object.

Basically, it's EXACTLY like the ring transporters except that instead of being sent through space the energy (which you see travelling between rings) is sent through the wormhole to the other end. This also explains why the rings worked through the wormhole in Beachhead.

Comment

Thats a brilliant idea this whole 'clearing out the way thing' I never thought of that. However my understanding is that the primary function of the unstable vortex is to wipe the memory buffer clean. The races which activate the gate without the vortex through hand held devices might wipe the buffer clean by other means. Perhaps by directly tapping into the gates computer systems and cleaning its memory banks.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the ancients could wipe the crystals clean without the splash. More likely they're both two parts to the same subroutine since they perform similar functions. The first part clears out the crystal and the second clears the physical area in front of the gate. It's probably a part of the dialing process that can't normally be bypassed (at least not without a much greater understanding of the way the gate works). That's why they had to short out that DHD to rescue Teal'c to bypass those controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasankoon
                  Thats a brilliant idea this whole 'clearing out the way thing' I never thought of that. However my understanding is that the primary function of the unstable vortex is to wipe the memory buffer clean. The races which activate the gate without the vortex through hand held devices might wipe the buffer clean by other means. Perhaps by directly tapping into the gates computer systems and cleaning its memory banks.

You know... I never figured the 'splash' had anything to do with gate operations, other than to establish the wormhole. I always figured it was just part of the anchoring process that allowed the wormhole to stay connected to the Gate, on either end. The splash isn't neccessary, but unless there is something stopping it, it will do it. It does indeed also have the side benefit of clearing the front of the gate if necessary, however I think that is more of a side effect than anything, and it is useful enough at times that I suppose the Ancients never felt the need to eliminate the splash from the process.

Somehow, I just really disagree that it has anything to do with wiping the memory crystals clean. Because if that was the case, then when the Nox or the Asgard do it, it would endanger whoever was walking through. I think that is just an automatic function of the gate anytime a wormhole is established, splash or no splash.
                  The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                  Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                  My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                  Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

That is why I believe that the Nox and the Asgard wipe the buffer clear by other means such as by directly tapping into its computer systems. It was stated in the episode '48 hours' that the primary purpose of the vortex is in fact to clear the memory buffer. Carter had to figure out a way to engage the stargate without a vortex hence opening a gate without wiping Teal'c's energy signiture. She new this were possible because she had seen this done before (such as with the Asgard and Nox) except without wiping the buffer with this 'other mean'.

Comment

One word.... Magic.

Comment

Did anyone notice the Kawoossh looks like to be similair in size to a puddle jumper?

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor
                          Did anyone notice the Kawoossh looks like to be similair in size to a puddle jumper?
                          Start a thread on it.
                          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Pasankoon
                            That is why I believe that the Nox and the Asgard wipe the buffer clear by other means such as by directly tapping into its computer systems. It was stated in the episode '48 hours' that the primary purpose of the vortex is in fact to clear the memory buffer. Carter had to figure out a way to engage the stargate without a vortex hence opening a gate without wiping Teal'c's energy signiture. She new this were possible because she had seen this done before (such as with the Asgard and Nox) except without wiping the buffer with this 'other mean'.
                            Except that would mean that everyone travelling through the earth gate is at risk when the iris is up since the vortex doesn't form. Same as the Atlantis gate with the shield. I don't think the ancients would be willing to take that kind of risk. If the vortex and the crystal wiping occured simultaneously, then that would suggest, on observation, that the vortex wipes the crystals but that may not be necessarily true, they may just be inextricably linked within the stargate's programming.

Comment

I've always wondered how Apophis and his Jaffa dialled the 'gate at the beginning of 'Children of the Gods'.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                                Except that would mean that everyone travelling through the earth gate is at risk when the iris is up since the vortex doesn't form. Same as the Atlantis gate with the shield. I don't think the ancients would be willing to take that kind of risk. If the vortex and the crystal wiping occured simultaneously, then that would suggest, on observation, that the vortex wipes the crystals but that may not be necessarily true, they may just be inextricably linked within the stargate's programming.
                                Well not neccesarily. With the Iris and shield up the energy surge that is the vortex still happens, just the physical outward flush doesnt happen. When the gate is opened with out it it does that quiet ripple out from the edges effect, but with the iris and shield up there is still the loud clash of energy that can be heard when it engages.

Comment

Working...
                                X