Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, you misunderstood me, I wasn't saying that they didn't have a faster way of travel. You see, originaly the Stargates were meant for personal travel, without ships, they could just walk up, dial it up, and walk through, if they were to go somewhere on a ship, they would need a ship available, they would need to prep it for launch, launch it, there would be a lot of work involved just to move one person to another planet, using the Stargate takes almost no effort. Understand?

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
      No, you misunderstood me, I wasn't saying that they didn't have a faster way of travel. You see, originaly the Stargates were meant for personal travel, without ships, they could just walk up, dial it up, and walk through, if they were to go somewhere on a ship, they would need a ship available, they would need to prep it for launch, launch it, there would be a lot of work involved just to move one person to another planet, using the Stargate takes almost no effort. Understand?

Owen Macri
      oh yeah i understand that, im not disagreeing there. the stargate is really only most efficient as a public transportation system. for interplanetary trade and supplying ships would still be more efficient because you can hold a lot more in a ship, even if it does take longer. im just saying that there has been no evidence that the gates have been updated or replaced with different models since they were put in place, and based on carter comment about the age, it supports the idea that the gate network was established over time and it took a while to travel between planets to set them up. if we ever get more info on how the ancients did it and we got to see a galactic map of how the gates were dispersed i bet we would see that they start from the ancients home system and spread outward slowy of a long time as the network spread across the galaxy. unless the ancients had a way to create a wormhole without a gate that allowed them to do it faster.

Comment

Do you really think that it took the Ancients that long to disperse gates throughout the Galaxy, come on, they were the Ancients, there ships would have had to be about as slow as our current ones, in real life. The Ancients would have had to have been far more advanced than us at the time they built the stargates, if they could create artificial wormholes, it is reasonable to assume that they had some strong ships too.

Owen Macri

Comment

Do you really think that it took the Ancients that long to disperse gates throughout the Galaxy, come on, they were the Ancients, there ships would have had to be about as slow as our current ones, in real life. The Ancients would have had to have been far more advanced than us at the time they built the stargates, if they could create artificial wormholes, it is reasonable to assume that they had some strong ships too.

Owen Macri
          yes i do because there has never been any indication that the ancients had fast ships. they had ships in pegasus, yet still used the gates for travel and even had ships specifically designed to use the gates instead of a hyperdrive. if the ancients did have fast means of ship travel, why did they bother with puddlejumpers? where has there ever been any indication that the Ancients used ships in any signifigant capacity in this galaxy? and who says they had to be far more ahead of us when the originally invented the gates? we managed to make it work with out much trouble and in just a few short years have learned a great deal about how they work. the key is the fact that the gates are made of naquada, an element that does not occur on earth. if the ancients evolved on a world rich in naquada they would have had a long long time to study it and its unique properties would lead to fast development. if we had had access to naquada for the past 1,000 years, imagine where we would be at.

Comment

There has also been evidence that they didn't, so as I said it is reasonable to assume... That is all that we are doing, we are making assumptions, and once again like in several other threads, we can not argue this, because most of it is based on oppinion and speculation, there is no way to argue against someones' oppinion unless there are facts that cause huge flaws in the line of thought, unfortunatly there is no evidence for either one of our points, and we need to wait until they say in the show, whether or not the Ancients had fast ships, this will prove one of our ideas.

Owen Macri

Comment

The Ancients created "Gate 2.0" for the pegasus galaxy, but can you imagine the work involved in replacing the entire network? It would be like Bill Gates going round replacing every web connected PC in the world every time a new processor was released.

(Wish he would though, I'm still using a Celeron!)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                The Ancients created "Gate 2.0" for the pegasus galaxy, but can you imagine the work involved in replacing the entire network? It would be like Bill Gates going round replacing every web connected PC in the world every time a new processor was released.

(Wish he would though, I'm still using a Celeron!)
                Are you sure that the gates in the pegasus galaxy are a newer model?

I always thought that the Pegasus gates were models that were capable of functioning in any pre-existing gate network, and were designed for use on ships with hyperdrives.
                Due to the size of the Pegasus Galaxy, it may have been more efficient to use that model.
                Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

It seems as though they are a newer model, they are "digital." No, I don't think that they were designed for use on ships, it doesn't seem like it.

Owen Macri

Comment

It seems as though they are a newer model, they are "digital." No, I don't think that they were designed for use on ships, it doesn't seem like it.

Owen Macri
                    I agree!
                    sigpic

Comment

haven't read everything but about the dhd versions
                      who is to say the ancients didn't build a unmanned spachcraft to put the gates on planets capeble of sustaining life... it's within their power to do so and it would suport a single design in our galaxy

Comment

It is a possiblity, but if it was unmanned it wouldn't really need to sustain life, but ok. As well, I think I know where you are going with this, the Ancients could have done this, but in my oppinion, there are ways that would be faster. They probably switched to a new type of gate when they went to pegasus, just to try it out, seeing as they had the opportunity.

Owen Macri

Comment

Owen Macri
                          Actually, only the city's gate is of the 'digital' type. The planet-bound gates are all similar to the gates on SG-1 with a (presumably) movable ring and the only real difference being the cosmetic difference of having blue indicators instead of red, perhaps marking it as the 'mark II' model.

In fact, the city gate is the only gate of Lantean design that has any substantial differences from the other gates in the network. I suppose this could be because the gate was probably the single most important gate to Lantean civilization since it was housed in their home city. The gate probably has the capability to override any local DHD while the city is in a certain network location. For instance, while Atlantis was on Earth, I doubt the Lanteans even had to worry about disconnecting the DHD from the existing Antarctic gate.

Comment

I don't believe that you are correct, I have just checked, and in the episode "Home" the stargate on the alien planet is clearly the digital type, as well, I believe the one in "Rising Part II" is the digital type, and I remeber some stargates in space that were digital. In fact, the only place that I have seen a stargate like the one that you describe is in the Season two advertisment, in The Movie Network Magazine, "Movie Entertainment."

Please, where have you seen a gate like this in Stargate Atlantis?

Owen Macri

Comment

I don't believe that you are correct, I have just checked, and in the episode "Home" the stargate on the alien planet is clearly the digital type, as well, I believe the one in "Rising Part II" is the digital type, and I remeber some stargates in space that were digital. In fact, the only place that I have seen a stargate like the one that you describe is in the Season two advertisment, in The Movie Network Magazine, "Movie Entertainment."

Please, where have you seen a gate like this in Stargate Atlantis?

Owen Macri
                              stop using the digital description it is totally inaccurate and it is driving me nuts, all the gates would be digital even in MW the ones in Pegasus just have lighted symbols and no inner ring, well and different colors

Comment

Sorry Owen, you are right. I don't know how I got that into my head that they were so similar to SG-1 gates. Anyway, I guess it's going to really suck for any team stuck on a planet with a damaged DHD, without being able to spin the ring to dial out.

Comment

Working...
                                X