This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
    Oh so this was the end of the comment! LoL. I listened to it twice on the listen again feature, but couldn't figure out what the ending was. Cheers for that.

As for the comment - Sigh. People, please do relax. RTD himself has said in one of his past interviews he likes Stargate. Can't be arsed to find the exact quote, but it wa something in the spirit of "it's a good show but too militaristic" or something like that. This is an off hand comment made in a radio interview about something else entirely out of surprise, and yes, I was surprised as well to hear Robert Carlyle has signed up with Stargate. Give the man a break.

And ya know what? Maybe he's seen Stargate lately and doesn't like it too much. There are plenty of fans here who feel the same, after all, and repeatedly make comments in that spirit - who knows? Maybe RTD is one of them?

(DISCLAIMER: Doctor Who has replaced Stargate as my favourite television show/ franchise a while back now. )

I think I've found it.

http://www.quickstopentertainment.co...sell-t-davies/

Extract:

Shows like Stargate are excellent, but they have a very macho, military, hard-ass feel to them. And Doctor Who is more charming and more witty and more eccentric. So it’s to keep that lightness without being seen as a send-up, and it’s a very difficult balance act. We have very good writers and a production team who pulled that off, really.

The only fault that I see is the military aspect that RTD says. But then again, Doctor Who is a totally different show with a history of no weapons for the Doctor.

Comment

<mod snip>

I thought his comment was a funny bit of snark and pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things. I also think it's funny that Stargate fans are getting outraged and acting as if Stargate is some sort of highbrow performing artistry instead of another bit of light entertainment that can be just as "cheesy" as Doctor Who itself. Personally I'm of the opinion that Doctor Who is the better show, but even without that I'm not sure Stargate fans should be casting aspersions as if they stand on the moral (and entertainment) high ground.

Granted, the same could probably also be said of RTD passing judgment on Stargate, but as I said, I think it was meant to be a silly, off-hand comment and it'd be kind of surprising for him not to think the best of his own show.

Each show has its own tone and aims itself at a different audience with different mentalities. There's a fair bit of overlap with folks watching both shows, but Doctor Who is still geared more toward kids (and the kids at heart) while Stargate is very definitely more adult in content. It's possible to compare the two, but I'm not sure it'd be fair to either one.
      <mod snip>
      Last edited by TameFarrar; 27 December 2008, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
        <mod snip>

I thought his comment was a funny bit of snark and pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things. I also think it's funny that Stargate fans are getting outraged and acting as if Stargate is some sort of highbrow performing artistry instead of another bit of light entertainment that can be just as "cheesy" as Doctor Who itself. Personally I'm of the opinion that Doctor Who is the better show, but even without that I'm not sure Stargate fans should be casting aspersions as if they stand on the moral (and entertainment) high ground.

Granted, the same could probably also be said of RTD passing judgment on Stargate, but as I said, I think it was meant to be a silly, off-hand comment and it'd be kind of surprising for him not to think the best of his own show.

Each show has its own tone and aims itself at a different audience with different mentalities. There's a fair bit of overlap with folks watching both shows, but Doctor Who is still geared more toward kids (and the kids at heart) while Stargate is very definitely more adult in content. It's possible to compare the two, but I'm not sure it'd be fair to either one.

<mod snip>
        Good point.
        This is exactly how I feel. the shows are so different from one another, odd that I can enjoy both so much really. But there is a lot of overlap beween the two. They are Sci Fi after all.
        And...I doubt it. Who knows what Darren was doing in making this news worthy. Other then the fact that this was another popular S-F show referencing SG.
        Last edited by TameFarrar; 27 December 2008, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by runnerX View Post
          I'm the same as you. I only whatched a few episodes of DW. I'm not trashing the show yet because i didn't had my opinion formed from only a few episodes but if it was great i would have sticked to it. RTD behaved like a 6 year old trashing another show in favor of his. He needs to grow a little maybe tune in a couple of stargate episodes so he can think before talking.
          I dont personaly care for doctor who. its confusing and a little gumbled for me. But it dosnt matter to me what this guy said because in my opinion Stargate is one of the best Sci Fi series ever and ill continue to watch is no matter what a man from the BBC has said. I wont hold it against him for not likeing it i mean that his opinion and he has all the right in the world to have one but really he shouldnt insult it like that especilly when alot of his fans most likely watch Stargate. Either way like i said i dont care what he said ill still like stargate and if he dosnt like that well thats his problem.
          Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Meh; let the guy have his opinions. I may not agree but it's his right to express 'em.

I like Stargate way better, but there's a certain charm to DW; or at least, their season finales.

Comment

But what happens when we love both shows with equal measure.
              or something like that.

Comment

RTD doesn't know what a good show is .

Comment

Originally posted by Kickoutwoolsey View Post
                  RTD doesn't know what a good show is .
                  He brought back Doctor Who.................He very clearly knows what a absoloutley amazing show is..........
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I'm beginning to think this is the funniest thread ever.

For those who are curious, they can listen to the interview with RTD here. The bit where he discusses Robert Carlyle starts up at about 4:20.

Now, considering that he was laughing while saying the comment, and after saying it, he said, "Ha, that's going to end up on all the Doctor Who blogs tomorrow".... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it was a joke. Many of the comments in this thread and on the GW main page are a total overreaction. The GateWorld article failed to mention the tone with which the comment was made, and now people are taking this way out of context.

Not like the opinion of one guy matters, anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                      I"ve watched all of SG, will take a gander at SGU and decide. Only got into WHO with the Sci Fi channel run, although do remember seeing Dalek movies as a kid with PEter Cushing going "neat" when I saw the Daleks. I"ve got three now
                      And fine Daleks they are. Are they decorated for the season this year?

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                      People are making fun of DW's special effects, I think.

It's true: British TV has a much smaller budget that American television does. I'll admit that Doctor Who does not have superior special effects to Atlantis.

But IMO the quality has been much more higher than Atlantis in it's past two years.
                      DW special effects are just what I expect so they don't bother me. SGA has good special effects, until they run out of money for them at the end of the season. (Yes, I'm looking at you, season 4 finale.)
                      sigpic
                      sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Heh. Maybe RTD's a little sore over SG-1 taking a bit of the bloom off DW's 'longest-running sci-fi series' rose? (Guinness Book of Records entry, anyone?)

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
                          And fine Daleks they are. Are they decorated for the season this year?

DW special effects are just what I expect so they don't bother me. SGA has good special effects, until they run out of money for them at the end of the season. (Yes, I'm looking at you, season 4 finale.)
                          Well...this year has had some bad special effects at times. I believe someone mentioned the word 'videogameish,' and it must be bad for me to notice it. How so ever, I did not really hate the entire show for that one small flaw in that one small moment.

Comment

Originally posted by fyere View Post
                            Heh. Maybe RTD's a little sore over SG-1 taking a bit of the bloom off DW's 'longest-running sci-fi series' rose? (Guinness Book of Records entry, anyone?)
                            Ummm... No? SG-1 had the longest continuous run, a title it took away from X-Files. Doctor Who will be starting its 31st year in the springtime, which is spread over several decades but still far outstrips Stargate for total eps produced. Or did I miss something somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                              Ummm... No? SG-1 had the longest continuous run, a title it took away from X-Files. Doctor Who will be starting its 31st year in the springtime, which is spread over several decades but still far outstrips Stargate for total eps produced. Or did I miss something somewhere?
                              Stargate: SG-1 was a continuous, non-interrupted-by-cancellations-etc. run. In my mind, that is far more impressive than a show being revived over and over again.
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                                Stargate: SG-1 was a continuous, non-interrupted-by-cancellations-etc. run. In my mind, that is far more impressive than a show being revived over and over again.
                                But the point is that Stargate didn't steal the "longest continuous run" mantle from Doctor Who, it stole it from X-Files. If that was the point.

Comment

Working...
                                X