X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
    [...]
    So even though Stargate is a better franchise, don't state that Dr Who is of a cheap and low quality compared to Stargate when its clearly not, infact its most likely equal. The Only difference is the budget, the filming location and the Rules of the Universe they follow, with Dr Who being more Fantasy based and less serous when it comes to universal rules making it a completely different show. Which is why both are great.
    As someone who has seen a few episodes, it clearly is.

Comment

*shrug* Each to their own, I suppose. While undoubtedly Atlantis has the bigger budget per season due its longer episode count and the fact that everything just is plain more expensive in North America (particularly in terms of the take home pay of producers and stars); I can't help every week but feel that the end result is that Atlantis looks cheaper than Who.

Now, again, that's not a criticism. I'm a big fan of 20th century Who too which looks SUPER cheap in places. I just think it's odd when people diss Who's FX team compared to SGA's when really, unless it's a ship in space, SGA's CG's really not that great.

Comment

My 2 Cents on all this or Pennies for the sake of being British anyways... Oranges and Apples, To compare these to shows is impossible.

Doctor Who is science 'fiction', yeh, it's totally out there, not a shread of science about it really but that's the idea, it's about imagining weird concepts like can something be bigger on the inside.

Stargate was an original concept but ultimately with regret I have to say it's dropped the standard by a long way, mainly by sticking to the American idea that a show needs to make total sense or viewers will be angry over 'discontinuety'...

P.S. Yes the Daleks come back from the dead every so often but we don't care... it's usually done better than, oh look more Replicators, more Asgard, oh look the character who's dead but not dead cause now he has a clone is back.

Doctor Who is an ever original show that will continue through the decades by never needing to make sense 100% of the time... Can you say that of any other scifi show?

Comment

he's said things like this before ..he dissed bsg before during a audio commentary

he;'s just a out spoken person from what i've gathered seeing him on tv and dvds
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

So, the guy who's responsible for a show that puts out lines like "wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff" is going to try to dis Stargate.

The guy who is responsible for the Sarah Jane Adventures is going to try to dis Stargate!

I do like Dr. Who, but it can be a bit ridiculous. When RTD says stuff like this, I think he loses a lot of credibility. His redeeming virtue would be Torchwood, but they've gutted that, haven't they.

Comment

Insolence!
              sigpic

Jaffa Kree!

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                Although I prefer Stargate more, I still really enjoy the new Dr Who and am a big fan of both shows and their spin-offs (apart from Sarah Jane adventures, since I am not a little kid, or Stargate Infinity).

However although I don't agree with what RTD said (even though I believe it was a joke more than anything). I just want to say that Dr Who is not a "Cheap and Childish" show. Infact the production values are really good when you look at its budget (which would naturally be lower than an American backed show like Stargate).

Personally I think both Stargate and Dr Who are equal on CGI, acting, make-up, sets, props and costume. However I would agree that SG has better visual effects (like explosions) and lighting departments. I just don't think people should continue to label DR Who as looking "cheap and made from cardboard" based on its original series and the 1rst from the new series, as even Stargates first series looked bad compared to what we have now. The last 2 series of Dr Who has been great, with amazing production values. When the Dr met the Devil in the new series it looked amazing and rivaled anything Stargate had done before it. And you could easily compared Dr Who's "Pompeii" set with the Stargate "Village" set, as both looked amazing. And as for Dr Who's aliens being "people wearing masks", that's a fair point, but them mask actually tend to look rather well made (like the Judoon, Face of Bow or Daleks), I mean even Stargate has had its bad "Rubber Aliens", I mean just look at the original Asgard Puppets, Serpent Guard helmets, Lego Bionicle inspired Kull Warriors and Wraith Drone Masks.

So even though Stargate is a better franchise, don't state that Dr Who is of a cheap and low quality compared to Stargate when its clearly not, infact its most likely equal. The Only difference is the budget, the filming location and the Rules of the Universe they follow, with Dr Who being more Fantasy based and less serous when it comes to universal rules making it a completely different show. Which is why both are great.
                I completely disagree. I'm currently in my final year of a degree in Film and Television Production and I would be ashamed to work on Dr Who.
                What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  What I can't believe is that an entire article was made on GW from one single quote from RTD. Come on, folks, geez, so he doesn't like Stargate. LOTS of people don't watch it (if everybody watched it, it would have been on network TV and not Sci Fi!)

All this article is doing is showing (at least on the comments section of where the 'article' was posted) is that some fans are taking that comment far too personally.

I expect that someone will go running off to JM's blog to go "oh the horrors!" in regards to the comment And then JM will make some pithy remark, and then it will just go into a vicious cycle that will eventually devour itself, but not before dividing SG from DW fans
                  *Raises hands* stopped watching it two years ago. *Runs*

I'm not watching SG: Universe, that way I won't get disappointed again.

I've been a Who fan for years. Always will be.
                  BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                    I completely disagree. I'm currently in my final year of a degree in Film and Television Production and I would be ashamed to work on Dr Who.
                    Lord, I'd be thrilled to work on it myself Sometimes it's not about spx, etc. but just being entertained. I do find WHO well written though, the SPX great (and I'm talking the seasons shown on Sci Fi).

Originally posted by Wormhole View Post
                    *Raises hands* stopped watching it two years ago. *Runs*

I'm not watching SG: Universe, that way I won't get disappointed again.

I've been a Who fan for years. Always will be.
                    I"ve watched all of SG, will take a gander at SGU and decide. Only got into WHO with the Sci Fi channel run, although do remember seeing Dalek movies as a kid with PEter Cushing going "neat" when I saw the Daleks. I"ve got three now

Originally posted by runnerX
                    Please you insult me. Gasoline is easier.
                    I suppose, but I think I"d like to wait till it's down to $1.50/gallon

Comment

RTD wrote the horrifically appalling Love and Monsters.... those in glass houses...

Though I'm inclined to think this was meant in Jest as he described the sphere room in Torchwood/ Doomsday as being like the SGC in the script, apparently the Replicators where somewhat of an inspiration for the Adipose.
                      A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                        http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/1...snt_care.shtml

Argh, I can't believe how big headed this quote is. It's basically saying "my show is better than Stargate, therefore he should come to mine".
                        Firstly, it says nothing of the sort, it was a silly little throwaway comment of the type RTD makes all the time, about shows and people he likes OR dislikes. He says appalling things about his friends, and they just laugh.

I don't think it was meant as a dig, and people needn't take it as one unless they know otherwise.

Secondly, RTD doesn't have a show at the moment since he quit DW, but if he did he could probably take his pick of a half the actors in the UK: he's pretty well respected given that he ran a show that got average 7million viewers a week on a regular basis and before that had a stack of successes under his belt. And I doubt he'd pine away because he could only take his pick of "half the actors in the UK minus RC".

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                          Lord, I'd be thrilled to work on it myself Sometimes it's not about spx, etc. but just being entertained. I do find WHO well written though, the SPX great (and I'm talking the seasons shown on Sci Fi).
                          I get why people enjoy it. There's another British programme called Bonekickers that in a lot of ways is quite terrible but I still enjoyed watching it I just can't get past the poor special effects, cheesy costumes etc..
                          What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

I really don't understand the continual refrences to special effects?

If thats the only measure of a show, then half the Sci Fi's in the world should be scraped, the porblem is as more shows rely on special effects, we begin to loose character screen time, story lines etc..... Like for example the "take over" of ship battles in Stargate, it seems we cant have one episode with out someone in a shipe getting shot at, which takes screen time away from the characters!

Sadly, yes, British TV has a lower budget than the US and this is the primary reason for a lack of special effects. However this is a signe of the times, our children and grandchildren will look back on Stargate Atlantis and most likly laugh at the "Cheap special effects"

@ Reiko - Sadly, Free speech is only there when no one cares about what is said, if you offend someone then free speech seems to disappear!
                            Last edited by razzel_daxxel; 22 December 2008, 11:51 AM.
                            A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

Darn. I just posted a long-ish rant about this in the Robert Carlyle thread. I'll just have to abbreviate here.

I don't understand the hate for Doctor Who. I think it's the best show on television. I find it hard to believe that anyone could love Stargate Atlantis while simultaneously calling Doctor Who "cheap" or "silly." Have you actually seen the show? They may not have a massive budget, but they do a hell of a lot more with it than Stargate Atlantis has been doing lately. Am I alone on this?

That said, I also don't like hearing RTD bash Atlantis. I do think Atlantis has shown a major drop in quality over the past couple of seasons, but that's no reason to bash the whole of Stargate. For most of its run, Stargate was one of the best sci-fi shows ever made. I like Doctor Who a lot, but Stargate used to be just as good.

Anyways, since when do special effects matter in a sci-fi show? Call me old-fashioned, but I thought the writing was what mattered. The writing is what made Stargate so good originally. The writing is what makes Doctor Who so great. The writing is what made Star Trek so great. And the writing is what made the last couple of seasons of Atlantis so damn poor. And it will probably be what makes Universe poor.

Comment

DR Who is a good show but its totally diferent to stargate. The thing with the who is you've gotta believe the crap that is put before you in every epp. even if you know that its just been pulled outta thin air. in Dr who theres no real sicence and Even the premis of the show dose not hold up to the science that we know today. but thats all good because Dr who is just ment to be fun. its ment for you to watch and forget about your wories. However stargate is a totaly diff beast. its ment to be taken seriously most of the time, and trys to base its science with what we know and just dosent sort things out with a sonic screw-driver. Stargate is a diff kind of escape show where you know and think to yourself this could all be possibale, As for the fact that this wanna be producer said what he did so what. What dose his opinion matter to the non die hard fans of Dr who. Hes just doing what all producers do and that trying to get atention for his new epp which airs in a couple of days in the uk. What i'm trying to say the two shows a opesets of each other so whats the point of trying to compair them. thats just a waste of time

sorrie bout my spelling but its crap lol

Comment

Working...
                                X