Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh god I feel like a freaking gamer HERETIC!
    [email protected]
    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
    One nation under dog
    There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
      Oh god I feel like a freaking gamer HERETIC!
      Don't be. GURPS is famous for being the RPG line where people by the source book and don't use the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime

And if you think THAT was nasty, you should have read a fanfic I read a while ago with Fox Mulder/Harry Potter slash. I bet some people stay awake at night coming up with these compinations...
        i've read some absolutely bizarre things in fic. such as jack beating jonas to death, getting off because jonas surely deserved it seeing as he was such a mean horrible person.

or legacy playing out a different way with the aspect of jack, janet and sam being in that lab and getting infected with the linvirs. can't go into details here since it's a pg forum, but let's jsut say that it was an adult movie

folks have odd ideas all the time. I wrote a dark fic where daniel survived meridian but was driven mad byu what had happened. and another where sam cracked up and killed people.

sometmes dark fic is an exploration of the characters beyond the limits of teh show.....other times, yeah, it could be seen as a competition of who can come up with the most extreme circumstances

but, back to topid

Until a person knows the creator's bounds with their characters, how possessive and protective they are of them, i think it's best to tread lightly when 'borrowing'

Some authors and creators don't care. others do.
        and it's very possible that the main reason MGM is starting to care now (after 7 years of TOTALLY neglecting the show) is because it's getting popular now. and if those folks are making money, then it's easier for MGM to justify spending the thousands of dollars in lawyer fees to shut them down.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          i've read some absolutely bizarre things in fic. such as jack beating jonas to death, getting off because jonas surely deserved it seeing as he was such a mean horrible person.
          was that the story where jack beat up jonas with the hockey stick? i recall a big bruhaha over that story, which I found and read, and he hadn't killed Jonas (I don't think I"ve seen any jonas death fic but then i don't waste my time looking for it either). it was a bizarre story, but probably no less bizarre than some slash or ship or any other genre fanfic I"ve read.

As for writers being upset over their fictional characters being slashed (or whatever) by fans, it's within their rights. Harry Potter slash grosses me out. I don't see why people want to read stories of Harry adn Snape 'doing it." eeeuuuu. But authors of books have more to protect than tv shows - their work is predominantly written, so fanfic writers can take away audience. TV shows, it doesn't happen. People will continue to watch the show and read or write fic.

Comment

there will always be people that will watch a show and have nothing to do with the fandom. fact of life. online fans are a literal drop in the bucket when it comes to total viewership, and really don't matter to the ratings unless they happen to have a neilson box on the top of their set.

however, a lot of the fans that participate in merchandising, cons, etc, are the online fans. tick them off and it does have an effect.

I can understand any creator being possessive about what they've created. but, when it comes down to MGM, it seems to boil down to money.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think, as Skydiver says, that online fans have to always remember that they do not represent the average or the majority of the ratings. We're important to TPTB because of merchendise and cons, but we are not the be all and end all of the entire fandom.

We're the extremes, and there is a tendency in the extremes to believe that a place like gateworld reflects what the mass of television viewers are thinking. We don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                I can understand any creator being possessive about what they've created. but, when it comes down to MGM, it seems to boil down to money.
                Well, MGM isn't making SG1 or SGA out of hte goodness of their heart. They're a business, SG is a product. Simple as that. Fans just tend to love the product a lot more than the average person loves a bar of soap

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                  GURPS Cyberpunk by Steve Jackson Games.

It's detailed by the company with links to actual documents in the case at SJ Games vs. the Secret Service

reading that, it's quite worrying how much of the evidence they got from legal bulletin boards..makes you realise that they could be watching you at anytime, anywhere, that if i write my candid opinion on a member of the government or the policies, i could be red-flagged for it. that's scary.
                  Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Originally posted by michelleb
                    reading that, it's quite worrying how much of the evidence they got from legal bulletin boards..makes you realise that they could be watching you at anytime, anywhere, that if i write my candid opinion on a member of the government or the policies, i could be red-flagged for it. that's scary.
                    And that was in 1990 when the you still had to dial up a forum long distance.

Comment

I wondered why things stopped being added onto it. It was a good site that... especially since being in the UK I missed out on loads of the episodes for about a year.

Its a shame that he got done for it.. I wonder who tipped them off? But I guess at the end of the day, if MGM didnt enforce it, how could they make their money from dvd box sets, advertising from main corperation channels etc etc when someone was doing it for free.

I think if I ever get rich, I'll buy a little island somewhere and put up all the episodes from all my fav sci fi... and nobody could sew me... and if the American Govenment wanted to put a stop to it, Id show the the middle of my five fingers.

Sy~
                      A lady came up to me on the street and pointed to my sued jacket...
                      "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" She sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone...
                      "I diddnt know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you to!"

Sy~

Comment

Ohh, Im scared I got a negative point and whoever gave it said Im "Unintelligent"

loser

Sy~
                        A lady came up to me on the street and pointed to my sued jacket...
                        "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" She sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone...
                        "I diddnt know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you to!"

Sy~

Comment

Originally posted by Sy~

Its a shame that he got done for it.. I wonder who tipped them off? But I guess at the end of the day, if MGM didnt enforce it, how could they make their money from dvd box sets, advertising from main corperation channels etc etc when someone was doing it for free.
                          Sy~
                          I sincerely doubt anybody 'tipped off' MGM. MGM was well aware of the site, they reportedly sent C&D notices, which were ignored and then the site moved overseas (which doesn't do any good if the person doing the site is in the States). What the site owner was doing was putting up downloads of SG1 on his site, and profiting from it. He had advertising on the site; when people went to his site, he made money from those ads, hence, the more he pushed hte downloads, etc, the more money he made. MGM doesn't consider theft of copyrighted materials for profit to be 'free advertising'.

Comment

Working...
                          X